A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,850
Currently Running With Scissors:
577 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stinky fish  (Read 2535 times)
Tags for this thread: grill , barbeque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

CraftyChef

Am I retired yet?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2006 08:34:56 AM »

I agree that white fish is the way to go; salmon is really strong tasting for people who don't care for fish. You can disguise the fish by incorporating sauce to mask the odor and taste. Fish is great with tomato sauce, or chopped up, mixed with veg and a little egg white or substitute and made into cakes or a loaf.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LMAshton
Kitchen Witch

Canada -> Sri Lanka -> New Zealand -> Singapore

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2006 08:03:35 PM »

I'm not a fish fan, but I can handle fish if it's cooked well.

Do a search on fish curries, ie Indian or Sri Lankan, to cover up the fishy taste you don't like.  Curried fish can be really really good even for those who don't normally like fish.

Also, when buying the fish, sniff it - if it has a strong odor, then it's not fresh.  Only buy the stuff that doesn't have a strong odor and cook it the same day.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lupinbunny

the bunny with the loops

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2006 08:49:31 PM »

ummm.... if you think fish smells, might i suggest you find a new fishmonger? or start going to a fishmonger rather than the supermarket?
because fresh fish does NOT smell.

i'm on the side of the 'start with meaty fish' divide (salmon, swordfish, tuna).
would probably help to marinate it in somethings strong (teriyaki leaps to mind here).
what about tinned tuna in tuna mornay? the tin smells like catfood, i grant you that, but when it's all cooked up  it doesn't smell. it's just salty and nothing-flavoured.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pansophia
food.craft.life.

Never have too much blood in the coffee stream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2006 10:46:06 AM »

I love fish but am totally intimidated by cooking it myself.  Here's one of my mom's recipes that I tried with great success:

Baked Dill Salmon

1 1/4 lb    salmon filet   
12" square foil   
3    slices thin cucumber   
1    lemon slice, peeled   
1 pinch    dill   

1 Sprinkle dill
2 Put on top of salmon.
3 (Optional: 1 sprig parsley, 1 peeled shrimp)
4 Wrap in foil, bake 20 minutes at 375 .

Servings: 2

I also recommend good, meaty white fishes like tilapia or sea bass with a mango salsa.  The tartness of the salsa works really well and might make it more palatable to a non-fish loving person.

Good luck!  I'm trying to get my cholesterol down as well and it is NOT easy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The pleasure of finishing a project made with my own two hands and creativity.  It's what keeps me sane in an otherwise crazy world.  That and the Prozac.
seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

OoOo What I could do with this!

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2006 11:36:17 AM »

OH FINALLY! Someone who won't look at me funny. I tell my husband I want fish, but I don't want it to smell or taste fishy...he rolls his eyes and says doesnt that defeat the purpose?

I have found. Tuna is great for you fresh or canned...can do up tuna salad, tuna salad sandwiches, tuna steaks
Flounder mmm oh so good with a little lemon, garlic, and butter some herb oh it's great
Someone already said Tilapia super cheap and easy to make
Also mentioned and my fav baked Haddock
I hear Monkfish is good too but never had it

Things I do not like:
Shark, swordfish, and salmon...too fishy for me!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lucastheboo
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2006 09:23:27 PM »

I've had Mahi Mahi a few times at my mamaw's house, my papaw's friend is into hunting and fishing and he gives us alot of meat. Anyway Mahi Mahi is a salt water fish, sometimes called dolphin though it has no relation with the sea mammal of the same name, most restaurants call it Mahi Mahi now to avoid confusion. Mahi Mahi has an excellent flavor and its pretty firm, it doesn't fall apart. I can't find it in the grocery stores around here, but I'm in TN so not really a big surprise. Its really good though, if you live near a good fresh sea fish vendor I'd definitely check it out.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every gay and lesbian person who has been lucky enough to survive the turmoil of growing up is a survivor. Survivors always have an obligation to those who will face the same challenges.
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2006 09:28:50 PM »

I've had Mahi Mahi a few times at my mamaw's house, my papaw's friend is into hunting and fishing and he gives us alot of meat. Anyway Mahi Mahi is a salt water fish, sometimes called dolphin though it has no relation with the sea mammal of the same name, most restaurants call it Mahi Mahi now to avoid confusion. Mahi Mahi has an excellent flavor and its pretty firm, it doesn't fall apart. I can't find it in the grocery stores around here, but I'm in TN so not really a big surprise. Its really good though, if you live near a good fresh sea fish vendor I'd definitely check it out.

Mahi Mahi is very good, and the confusion comes from the fact that it is dolphin fish [like tuna fish]. You can often find it frozen at places like costco and while not as good as fresh, flash frozen fish can be easier to deal with sometimes. Especially if you live in a land-locked state.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
cinnamon teal
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2006 09:42:00 PM »

Costco's mahi mahi is actually fairly decent and it's a lot cheaper than buying, say, salmon or halibut.  I like to marinate it in some sake and soy sauce with a bit of honey, garlic and ginger.  Then I broil it with sliced onions.  Mmmm... teryaki-y Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

samkiddo
Barron of the Pussy Pants

When it rains, it pours.

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2006 02:06:03 AM »

No one has mentioned it but i shall.

I work as a chef, and alot of non-fishy people love, LOVE

Tilapia.

With orange or lemon it is fantastic.

PM me with any other fish questions.

And yes, as several said, good, fresh fish should NEVER smell fishy. It is actually an enzyme that as it digests, created that "fishy smell" ie. the fish's cells are breaking down and decomposing.

<3

Sam

THIS ROCKS   Logged

amaerin
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2006 05:29:12 AM »

I agree compeletely with the tilapia suggestion.  I'm not a fish person, I typically can't stand the stuff, but I actually don't mind tilapia.  It's simple to bake with some lemon pepper or whatever sounds yummy, and it really doesn't come out tasting fishy.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wide Angle Close-up Photography Techniques
Telephoto Photography Techniques with Don Gale
Sue and April at the Carnival Photo Booth
Portrait Session Outdoors with off Camera Flash
Photography Workshop with Tamron in Austin, Texas
Latest Blog Articles
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete
Mmm, Bacon!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...