A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,576
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Stinky fish  (Read 2871 times)
Tags for this thread: grill , barbeque  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Mrsblocko

It's not only sticious, it's SUPER!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 27, 2006 06:33:03 AM »

I am so not a fan of fish.  Other than breaded deepfried fish sticks, I do not like the smell or taste of fish.  My husband just found out his cholesterol is not where it should be, and needs to encorporate more fish into his diet.  Fish sticks would really defeat the purpose with all that breading.  I hate the idea of making 2 different meals for each of us, and I probably should start eating better myself.  Does anyone know of any fish recipes where the fish does not really taste like fish?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trinashere
nerd and a half.

(witty comment goes here)

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006 06:56:21 AM »

Try talapia. It's a really good tasting fish, doesn't smell that bad, and it's sturdy, which means it won't fall apart when you try to flip it over like some other fish will. Don't laugh at me, but it actually tastes a lot like chicken.

Then there's always tuna. One great way to make tuna is to make a box of mac and cheese, then add one can of drained tuna and a cup and a half of frozen peas. Mmmm. Trina's Tuna Surprise!

-Trina
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The art of losing isn't hard to master; so many things seem filled with the intent to be lost that their loss is no disaster. ~ Elizabeth Bishop
godzilla

get back -on track

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006 06:57:15 AM »

I find when you eat fresh fish, it doesnt' have that stinky smell to it. (Catch of the day)
well, the only types I eat are Salmon and Trout, I haven't really tried anything else. I know that some types of fish just have that stink to them, but some don't. They have a really nice taste.

For the Salmon I usually do it on the BBQ (on a cedar plank) or bake in the oven. You can use a variation of seasonings: (or buy them at the grocery store with all the stuff already on it) lemon and herb, sundried tomato and oregano dressing.
However, I like frying Rainbow Trout in butter with a coating of flour, so I doubt that helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2006 01:07:03 PM »

I don't like the smell or taste of most fish myself and don't even think about giving me shellfish peeyuuu smells rotten like the garbage shed behind a greasy spoon, that being said I really LIKE sole, pickerel (sometimes known as walleye) and teriyake salmon on the bbq.  Also anything made with smoked salmon. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamagotchi
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2006 01:59:13 PM »

Yeah, I think the fish used to make fishsticks is just naturally stinky (I don't even know what that is...is it cod?  some kind of whitefish...)  In my experience, whitefish in general puts up a smell when cooked.  Also I find that frying is stinkier than other methods of cooking.  My favorite fish meal is baked salmon.  My mom makes it the best.  She covers it with a balsamic dressing and then bakes it until it becomes blackened and crispy.  It's always delicious!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006 02:52:08 PM »

I will preface this by saying that I've never met a fish I didn't love.

That said, I think that the white fishes [cod, haddock, tilapia, etc] are the best fishes to start out with for a non-fish lover. You can make healthy fish sticks with a firm white fish like those mentioned. Cut into strips, dredge in flour, then an egg white beaten with some water then in seasoned breadcrumbs. Spray a wire rack with cooking spray, place fish on rack. Set fish on cookie sheet [to catch juices] Spray tops of fish lightly with spray and bake until done. Still crispy and good, but much less fat.

As for salmon, my favorite way to cook it is grilled. Barring that, I like to bake it in the oven [on a wire rack above a cookie sheet] after having sprinkled it with lime juice, dill and a little kosher salt. Mmmm.

As to pickerel and walleye, I'm not sure where cataway is from, but a google search told me that Canadians often call walleye pickerel. I've never eaten walleye [I eat salt-water dwellers more than fresh and walleye live in fresh water] but they are two separate things. In my experience actual pickerel are pretty small and have too many bones to make them worth eating [although tons of people do] while walleye are much more likely to be larger. So, if you're in the states, it's unlikely you'll see the two names used interchangeably.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
Phizzychick
Paper Crafts, Scrapbooking, and ATCs Moderator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006 02:58:47 PM »

Both Tuna and Monkfish are pretty *meaty* fish and providing they're fresh they're not smelly at all. Although they're not the cheapest of fish, when I was trying to persuade my bloke to eat more fish that's where I started. They're still firm favourites!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006 11:07:37 AM »

Yes I'm from western canada where the fish in question is called pickerel, it's not that small and has perfectly boneless fillets.  This same fish is frequently referred to as walleye the further east you get and is reputed to grow very large in manitoba!  It is a fresh fish but I find it to be almost exactly like sole.  I forgot to mention tuna which is more meaty than fishy in my opinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ali_ababwa
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006 11:23:14 AM »

I hated fish until i tried the baked haddock at work. Baked haddock with butter and cracker cumbs is realllly good, not to fishey and easy to make. Im not sure about the stink factor though, i work at a seafood restaurant and its hard to tell what smells and what doesnt Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2006 09:57:40 PM »

Sole has a really delicate flavor.  It's not very fishy at all, but you have to be gentle when you cook it.  It falls apart pretty easily.  Also sushi doesn't have a very fishy flavor or smell.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Skull Mask Makeup Tutorial - Part 1
Want a Gaze Like Scarlett Johansson? You Need These Mascaras
How to Perform a Facial at Home
Birchbox Sneak Peek: October 2013
Beauty That Gives Back
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
Are You Ready For Some Football?
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...