A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,400
Currently Running With Scissors:
787 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Boston - Fabric stores and the Recycle Shop (long)  (Read 1303 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

liasews
« on: September 11, 2004 02:33:21 PM »

Hey, everyone! Well, thanks to all of your comments on fabric stores, I went into Boston today to check a few out for myself. Here's what I thought of the ones I went to so that you may shop easier in the future.

Van's Fabric
14 Beach St.
Comments: I suggest getting there via the T, green line Boylston St. or orange line Chinatown. Very close to both of them. Be careful or you might miss this place. I walked around on the wrong side of the street for a few minutes before I finally spotted it. Anyway, this place was highly rated on yahoo! and I was kind of dissapointed. It is located in Chinatown so there was a lot of oriental fabric, which is extremely expensive to me, $17+/yd. But what was the hardest part was that most of the bolts were not labeled with prices, which is very important to me. They had one box of scraps, which I bought some sort of pink satin-ish fabric from for $2, it is at least a yard, so it was a good buy. They also had folded scraps near the door as I reacall but they were $5 I think. I wouldn't go here again unless I knew I needed something.

Winmill Fabrics
111 Chauncy St.
Comments: HEAVEN!! I will definately come back here the next time I have the chance. I spent $28 here, I believe, which is a lot for me. Anyway, they have so much fabric (and even stuff for upholstry) and it's all really organized. Be careful though because some of the stuff they have they MUST have 2yd left if you're going to cut less (which I do, I always get 1/2-1yd because I only make one-of-a-kind things) and then you either have to buy the 2yds or not at all. I found this awesome stuff that was what rain coats are made of, but it was $7something, and so I didn't want to buy the two yards. I was very sad. They have really cheap 7 inch zippers for $.30 and lots of other stuff.

New England Textiles
80 Bedford St.
Comments: I thought it was located at 50 Essex St. but I came upon it while walking and realized this was the store I had been looking for. Had I not spent so long in Winmill, I would have got more fabric here because the prices were amazingly low. Tons and tons of stuff for less than $4/yd, but the best was a stack for $.99/yd (no cutting) and $1.99/yd, so I walked away with 3.25 yards and I bargained with the lady and only paid $5! I would definately go back here if you're looking for cheap stuff.

Lastly, I walked all the way down to...
The Recycle Shop at the Children's Museum
300 Congress St.
Comments: It was a very small store but the girl was really nice. You can buy a paper bag (like at the grocery store) for $6.50 and fill it with whatever you want. They had film canisters, fabric scraps, paper, wallpaper, fleece (they called it this but it's not, its like teddy bear plush. However, it was in a lg. quantity (like, nearly as much as a fleece blanket) and I got two colors), paint chips, cardboard, etc. Students get a 20% discount on whatever they buy with proof of... being a student! So, my entire purchase cost me $5.50 or so. Here's pictures of what I got:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/butterfield8/Recycle%20Shop/recycle1.jpg
Here's all of it. I also got 4 dice that I can hopefully drill a hole in to make a bracelet or a necklace, $.10 each which really wasn't a bargain. Also, a bag of buttons for $1, a really long zipper for $.50.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/butterfield8/Recycle%20Shop/recycle3.jpg
Scraps. They were REALLY small but I may be able to make some pouches from them or use them for pockets in bags.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/butterfield8/Recycle%20Shop/recycle2.jpg
The plush stuff. This will make an awesome bag, no?

So, that's my review... I highly reccomend going down to Chinatown or Downtown Crossing for fabric, they have a lot there, but not nearly like New York City. I hope someone can benefit from my trip! When I sew the bags I made with the fabric, I'll post it!
« Last Edit: October 15, 2013 01:22:50 PM by MissingWillow » THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

Keep it loose, keep it tight.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2004 08:04:08 PM »

thanks for the reviews! i'll have to check out these places sometime.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PollyEsther
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004 07:26:00 AM »

Are the second 2 fabric stores you listed T-accessible? And if so what stops? (I am good at subway stops, bad at street names).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2004 10:04:26 AM »

i think all those fabric stores are in chinatown, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
liasews
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004 01:22:17 PM »

Are the second 2 fabric stores you listed T-accessible? And if so what stops? (I am good at subway stops, bad at street names).

Yup. I took the green line in and got off at Boylston. It's less than a five minute walk from there. Definately print out a map before you go and mark the where the places are, or else you will get lost very quickly. You can also take the orange line to Chinatown, which is probably a few streets closer.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PollyEsther
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2004 04:26:50 PM »

Cool, thanks! (off to mapquest to plan my weekend)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
quarkiegirl

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004 08:06:09 PM »

Yup. I took the green line in and got off at Boylston. It's less than a five minute walk from there. Definately print out a map before you go and mark the where the places are, or else you will get lost very quickly. You can also take the orange line to Chinatown, which is probably a few streets closer.

actually the chinatown t stop is only a block away from boylston. you can also get off on the red line at downtown crossing and then it's only about 3 blocks down washington st to chinatown.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zlana
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004 12:41:13 PM »

With the Recycle Shop, do you have to pay admission to the Children's Museum to get in? My mom and I want to go this Friday, but I wanted to find that out first.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

liasews
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2004 05:10:02 PM »

Absolutely not. you just say that you're going to the store and they let you right in.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
PollyEsther
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2004 08:06:30 AM »

I gotta add to this list.  You cannot. cannot. miss out on ZIMMAN'S in Lynn. I tagged along with my sister there this weekend and almost fainted with sheer delight.  Granted, it's a decorating fabrics store, but.... dupioni silk is not just for decorating, is it? Most of the fabric there is totally out of my budget, but it's so wonderful (see the stars in my eyes?). And if you go, find the stairs and go down to the basement, where the discounted fabrics are. And make sure you rifle through the baskets of scraps on the service counter down there in the basement. I only spent five dollars there and came out with a bag of lovely scraps (a lot of them silk) and a yard and a half of beaded fringe to make into little purses and bags for Christmas presents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
KD101: How to Make the Perfect Holiday Red Berry Trifle
How to Make Red Velvet Whoopie Pies
How to Make Toasted Coconut Snowball Cupcakes
Homemade Gourmet Fruit and Nut Chocolate Bars
Decorative Christmas Cookie Cottages
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...