A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 299,173
Currently Running With Scissors:
405 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Polymer clay additions to V for Vendetta mask. WIP Big Pictures-Please help!  (Read 2676 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meshell
Art Teacher & Metalsmith

!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 26, 2006 02:46:56 PM »

Hi guys!

I don't normally post to the polymer clay board, but I really need some help.

My boyfriend decided to be V (from V for Vendetta) for Halloween, but all of the local halloween stores are out of the mask.  I decided to make the mask!

So, I stopped at JoAnns and looked for one of those ceramic premade masks...but they only had plastic.

My question is...is there any way to fire the plastic mask with the embellisments I have already made?  Obviously, I can't put the plastic in the oven.  The pieces I made and attached to the mask seem to be stuck on, so I don't think I could peel them off to fire without misshaping them.  I have a heat gun, if that would work for curing?

Also, what paints work best over polymer?

Here is what I've come up with so far: (The polymer pieces I created are the eyebrows, cheeks, nosejob with new nostrils, mustache, and chin hair).

Here is what the REAL mask looks like:

Thanks for any help/suggestions!!!

Michelle

{edited to reword my questions!}
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006 05:51:24 PM by meshell » THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.recycledstar.etsy.com --> Fine silver jewelry and other goodies Smiley

www.recycledstar.com --> Needs to be updated!
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006 03:21:34 PM »

...is there any way to fire and paint this?  Obviously, I can't put the plastic in the oven. /size]

Not sure what you're asking... why would you want to "fire" plastic (are you assuming that you'd have covered it with a layer of polymer clay first?, or were you just wanting to stiffen the plastic maybe?). 

And actually, some plastics can be put in the oven at the low temps we use for curing polymer clay... and some on the border will hold up long enough to allow the outer portion of the clay covering it to stiffen... in those cases, the plastic will take a few minutes to begin softening and distorting (but will hold its shape somewhat even if it softens as long as you also use  a support of polyester stuffing or wadded cotton or tissues, etc., under the plastic).

There are ways to make "molds" from these plastic masks though too so you can then have something stiffer to use as a base for the mask ...one possibility would be thin wire mesh (like WireForm), or plaster strips (over Vaseline so could be removed), papier mache of various kinds, or other things. 

Check out this page at my site for lots of ways of doing the things I mentioned above, as well as other ways to make life-size masks with polymer clay:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/heads_masks.htm
(...look at the subcategories under "Masks")

...The pieces are really stuck on there, so I don't think I could peel them off to fire without misshaping them.  I have a heat gun, if that would work?

By this, do you mean the pieces of facial hair??  If so, you can always just make molds from those on the plastic mask, bake them, then shape new raw clay pieces for eyebrows, etc., from them clay molds (remove, bake, and glue on separately).

Also, what paints work best over polymer?

Acrylics, especially thick "artist" acrylics in tubes, but any will work though may take more coats.  Could base coat with gesso or white first too. 
Look on this page for how to prepare clay surfaces for painting on, and more on which paints work:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/paints.htm
(of course, you can always just use precolored clays instead of painting on top of the clay)

HTH,

Diane B.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
liebschien

"Do or do not - there is no try." - Yoda

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006 03:53:20 PM »

I think you should buy another plastic mask, stick it in the oven for the amount and length of time you would need to in order to bake the clay and see what happens to the mask. Chances are that nothing bad will happen to it and you could then bake your embellished mask like normal.

However, if something bad does happen to the mask then just paint the unbaked clay (which i've done successfully with cheap-o acrylic paints), let it dry, then cover the whole outside with Future Floorwax and let that dry. I think that would hold together pretty well for at least one night of wearing.

By the way, the mask you put the clay on looks REALLY great!! Your boyfriend is lucky to have you do that for him.  Smiley
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006 03:56:04 PM by liebschien » THIS ROCKS   Logged

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006 04:07:13 PM »

I had a hard time figuring out what you meant also. 
Try liebschien's idea.  If the plastic melts, you will have to put your mask (with the pieces on it) in the freezer for a few hours til it gets hard, then gently pry them off.  Put FOIL over your mask really good to get a perfect mold.  Bake the clay on the foil mask (after taking it off the plastic)so they will retain the shape, THEN, glue them to the regular mask.  I would paint them after baking, before gluing them on there.
PM me if that isn't all clear, but it should work!

BTW, you did a great job!
Remember, remember, the 5th of September!  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meshell
Art Teacher & Metalsmith

!

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006 05:48:38 PM »

Thanks for the responses and suggestions!  I think one reason it was hard to understand me is because I have such little knowledge of polymer clay--I'm a metalsmith by trade!  Grin

My original idea was to create polymer additions on the mask, peel them off, cure them in the oven, and glue them back on the mask.

OriginalYouth's suggestion was definitely closest to my original plan, I just wish I would have put foil on the mask first!

Also, thanks so much for the compliments.  I was especially pleased with my modeling on the nose and cheeks Smiley

liebschien and Diane B., thanks for the great tips about the possibility of sticking the plastic mask in the oven!

If everything works out, I'll post pictures when it's done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.recycledstar.etsy.com --> Fine silver jewelry and other goodies Smiley

www.recycledstar.com --> Needs to be updated!
liebschien

"Do or do not - there is no try." - Yoda

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006 08:44:41 PM »

Well, you said the clay is stuck to the mask really well, so I'm wondering why bother pulling the clay off? The clay would probably stay without gluing it, you know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2006 11:27:16 AM »

My original idea was to create polymer additions on the mask, peel them off, cure them in the oven, and glue them back on the mask.

So if you don't want to make a whole polymer mask (which is what I thought you may have meant, and which is great fun btw), only to add some clay pieces to an existing mask, you can probably just form the clay pieces right on the mask (they wouldn't be there long enough to begin to dissolve the plastic of the mask).  Or you could cover each part of the mask that had facial hair first with a bit of aluminum foil. 

After shaping the raw clay pieces (on the foil pieces on the plastic mask), cool them on the mask in the frig a while to stiffen them up.  Then remove them from the mask (on their aluminum foil carriers, or just carefully), and bake them supported underneath with some polyester batting or wads of tissues etc., so they won't slump while baking. 

Let cool still on the supporting material.  Then glue the pieces onto the plastic mask (several glues should work, but probably a 2-pt epoxy or an E-6000-type glue would be best for the smooth plastic --could sand it a bit first to give some tooth if you want).

HTH,

Diane B.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006 11:30:22 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
SupernovaDesigns
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2006 07:46:38 PM »

I know it's a little late to respond to this thread but I thought I could at least help clear up some confusion...
My friend bought that same premade mask and I must say, you did a stunning job with your additions.
Diane, if you re-read her original post, she made the eyebrows, cheeks, nosejob with new nostrils, mustache, and chin hair that you see on the mask. You can kind of tell because the plastic is more opaque in those areas.
I would have bought a test mask to see how it held up in the oven. If the mask melted, I think you could use a heat gun long enough to at least get the clay to harden up a little. Maybe short sessions, letting the plastic cooldown between?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my Etsy shop
SupernovaDesigns.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Luxe Holiday Party Dressing Ideas
3 Ways to Wear the Patterned Suit Trend
How to Wear Winter White
5 Celebrity Looks for Less
How to Make Sequin Tights
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...