A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
412 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Cloche Hat Pattern  (Read 4280 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

delirium_85
« on: June 30, 2004 11:11:37 AM »

Does anybody know where I can get a pattern for knitting a cloche hat?  I would like to knit and then felt it, but I can't find any sort of pattern in any knitting book.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

It's like James Bond dressed up like a big ol' teddy bear
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2004 12:49:33 PM »

a cloche is just like a regular cap, but with some increase rows at the bottom to make it flare, instead of the usual ribbing. maybe you could improvise from a beanie/tuque that fits?

there are 10 million crocheted cloche patterns on the internet, but the closest i've ever found to a knitted version is this fulled hat from the knitting.about.com library (pattern here).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
supah
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2004 01:17:42 PM »

that is a darling pattern... i like the fuzzyness at the end result....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

swellgirl
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2004 02:37:03 PM »

There's a cloche pattern that looks like it's felted in the new issue of Easy Knitting by Family Circle.  They use a fuzzy yarn which I think gives it the felted look.  But it's very cute.  I'm adding it to my list.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

GirlMadchen
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2004 07:05:39 AM »

there is also a bathing style cap over at knitty - if you want to make an unbrimmed cloche that is, you could just leave off the ear shaping and ties.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.redsuedekitten.com')

http://redsuedekitten.etsy.com - red suede kitten's etsy shop - for colourful, original felt jewelry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redsuedekitten - my flickr page - lots of photos of my felt jewelry
himeykitty
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2004 07:14:12 AM »

If I remember right, there's one in Knit One, Felt Too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Add me to the list of knitbloggers:
http://kittyknit.blogspot.com
starlings
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2004 04:05:11 PM »

I've seen many hats described as "cloche" style - tuques, berets, buckets - but to me a cloche is just what the name would suggest: a bell-shaped hat. Rounded top, slightly flared lower edge.  If this is what you mean too, then maybe these general directions will help...

I recently knitted one from Noro Silk Garden. Here it is on:

and off, which shows the shaping better:

The hat is knit in half-linen stitch, with about an inch of ribbing, which works as a hatband-like detail above the brim. I also picked up the back loops of the cast-on edge, which made a cord-like line just below the band of ribbing. 

The brim on this version is pretty shallow and the flare is subtle.  You could make it flare more by working more frequent increase rows or working more increases per row.

Here's a general description of how I made this hat.  It isn't a pattern per se:

I started by knitting a shallow, close fitting cap from the bottom up.  I worked for 4 inches before the first decrease row, then made the rounded top by decreasing at five points every other row until I had half the number of stitches I began with. Then I decreased every row until I had 5 stitches left, then closed up the top.

When I was done the cap, I picked up stitches at the cast-on edge and worked the brim downwards.  I chose to work this way because I could slip the stitches onto some waste yarn and try the hat on as I shaped the brim.

I knitted a couple of rounds, doing 6 evenly-spaced make-ones in the second round.
Then I began working back and forth from the centre back, using short rows. The shortrow shaping creates a notch for the back of the neck, which prevents the edge from flipping up when you bend your head back. For the first short row, I knitted to within two stitches of the centre back stitch, wrapped and turned, knitted to within two stitches of the centre back on the other side, wrapped and turned.  I repeated this short row pattern, knitting to within two stitches of each previous wrapped stitch, until the brim was the desired depth.

A few rows into the short row shaping, on a right-side row, I placed a four make-ones evenly across the row.

I finished with a suspended bind-off, which creates a flexible but un-curling edge. It looks a little like I-cord.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2004 10:43:42 AM by starlings » THIS ROCKS   Logged
melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2004 08:37:42 AM »

If I remember right, there's one in Knit One, Felt Too.
Yep, there definitely is.  I was just looking at that book last week.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2004 05:42:38 PM »

starlings, thanks so much for sharing your hat formula. i work primarily from general methods and not patterns, so this is extremely useful. yay!

also: very cute on you, if that is you in the pic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
nanobrid

yarn for brains

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2004 03:43:58 PM »

Here is a link to a beautiful knitted cloche pattern:
http://www.thekingspottery.com/pattern_bowhat.htm
It's by the same smart lady that designed the lacy stockings in the current knitty.
I am soooo gonna knit both of them. Yes I am :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Photograph a Very Young Baby
How to Photograph a Nine Month Old Baby
How to Photograph a Dog in a Studio
How to Calibrate Your Camera Part 2/3
How to Shoot a rock band
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...