A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,330
Currently Running With Scissors:
650 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Homemade Bubble Jet Set *Edited with new recipe* *Edited using inks*  (Read 135889 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tanza
Angel in the making....

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: November 16, 2006 08:27:53 PM »

its a heavy type of fabric used to make all sorts of things from bags to pants to skirts. similar to denim but way cheaper.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

Aquarian Spiritual church
whitters
« Reply #61 on: November 23, 2006 10:04:43 AM »

Has anyone tried it with longer paper? Can't remember how long.. but you know.. longer than 8 1/2 x 11" ?   Because I'd really like to have one side of a purse have a photo, but the pattern is about  18" long..
Any idea? I'd really hate to have to cut the picture out and attatch it to the purse...

Thanks!  Got all the supplies in the mail though! Am all ready. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #62 on: November 23, 2006 10:51:52 AM »

With some printers, you can print "banner" size (which basically means it prints a long sheet).  My cheapo Canon printer doesn't have that setting.  In the printer options, I just made the paper size 8 1/2 x 18 and it didn't seem to have a problem with it.

Try a test by taping two sheets of paper together lengthwise and printing something - even just minimal text so it won't waste the ink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanza
Angel in the making....

« Reply #63 on: November 23, 2006 12:31:12 PM »

results of my tests,
I tried drill and poplin.
both printed out nicely, except they got caught and scrunched a little.
both came up alright when rinsed the first time, but when they dried it wad all yellowy and really faded.
I am beginning to think it might be the ink as I refill my catridges with a cheaper in which most of the time is ok but may not be suited to this style of project. I will try with my mums printer and see how it goes there.
will report back when done, which may take a few weeks busy busy busy.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

Life is a terminal disease, NO one gets out alive.....The idea is to enjoy it while you can.

whitters
« Reply #64 on: November 23, 2006 12:47:39 PM »

hmm... I'm also trying to figure out how I might make the purse look cute, since I'm sure the photo wont take up the whole Purse.... but rather it's going to be one of those hobo bags by Tinafish-  So I'm wondering how it might actually look if I just cut it out, subract it from the normal pattern and stitch both sides together.... like, have middle of half the pattern just the photo... okay so I suck at explaining things.... hopefully someone gets my drift.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kba
« Reply #65 on: November 23, 2006 01:15:40 PM »

This is an amazing concept,  I must try it soon.  As for another place to purchase alum I know I've bought it in a store that sold raw wool.  It was meant for a mordent for dying wool.  You may want to try the type of stores that sells raw wool and or spinning supplies.  Hope this helps someone....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Tanza
Angel in the making....

« Reply #66 on: November 23, 2006 03:00:04 PM »

whitters you could add it as a pocket in the center of the side.
or just use this in one colour and the pieces next to it in another so that you stitch them together.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

wist
Pintrest

whitters
« Reply #67 on: November 23, 2006 08:57:15 PM »

I think that's what I'll end up doing.
Thank you, will show how it turns out!  This will be a christmas present.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
whitters
« Reply #68 on: November 23, 2006 09:58:39 PM »

oh and are we not supposed to mix it when it foams? i did and it left residew on the fabric like dandruf
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #69 on: November 23, 2006 10:29:27 PM »

oh and are we not supposed to mix it when it foams? i did and it left residew on the fabric like dandruf

Did you use HOT water when you made the mixture?  Alum dissolves better in hot water.  As far as the little "dandruff" like stuff, just brush it off when the fabric is dry.

results of my tests,
I tried drill and poplin.
both printed out nicely, except they got caught and scrunched a little.
both came up alright when rinsed the first time, but when they dried it wad all yellowy and really faded.
I am beginning to think it might be the ink as I refill my catridges with a cheaper in which most of the time is ok but may not be suited to this style of project. I will try with my mums printer and see how it goes there.
will report back when done, which may take a few weeks busy busy busy.

It may be the quality of the Alum.  I made the recipe using the Alum I purchased from ePharmacy.  I will try some of the Alum from the Asian shop and try it.  If mine doesn't work, it's probably the quality of the Alum (even though I didn't think there would be a "quality" issue.  Alum is Alum.  Mmmmmmm......Will let you know. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sourdough, Italian Sausage and Chestnut Stuffing Recipe
How to Make a Broccolini-Cheddar Gratin With Rye Breadcrumbs
How to Make Breakfast Salmon Scrambled Eggs
Salt Beef Bagels With Ultimate Pickles
How to Make a Delicious Family Meal for Less Than $20
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...