A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,062
Currently Running With Scissors:
470 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Homemade Bubble Jet Set *Edited with new recipe* *Edited using inks*  (Read 116681 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

javastain
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

javastain

Hello MC

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2006 08:29:26 AM »

OK this is so cool! THank you so much for a great tute and not keeping it to yourself!!! I am so making make-up bags from my niece's this Christmas! They love the picture of their cousing (my avatar Smiley ) and I would love to get that one on a bag for each of them!!! YAY! THANKS!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please use the Help Desk for moderator questions.  I'm not currently available full-time.  Thanks!

I'd love to send you some hand spun for a poppet!

yep
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2006 01:18:17 PM »

Thank you all for your nice comments  Grin 

THank you so much for a great tute and not keeping it to yourself!!!

I'm shocking at not being able to keeping things to myself - in a nice kinda way though.  Roll Eyes  Its not a unique thing - just a homemade version - which is the BEST 'cause its cheap HAHA

I am so making make-up bags from my niece's this Christmas! They love the picture of their cousing (my avatar Smiley ) and I would love to get that one on a bag for each of them!!! YAY! THANKS!

I love your avatar too....I have seen you 'round here on Craftster!! 

Post pics when you're done!! (gosh, where's my manners - "please")
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006 09:05:05 PM »

OK so I have been doing some experimenting.  Here are pictures of the results:

a - Rinsed in cold water immediately using no detergent
b - Rinsed in cold water immediately using fabric softener as detergent
c - Rinsed in hot water immediately using no detergent
d - Rinsed in hot water immediately using fabric softener as detergent
e - Photoshopped first to add saturation of 50 then rinsed immediately in cold water using fabric softener as detergent
f - Rinsed in cold water after 20 minutes using fabric softener as detergent (in my opinion, this was the best result)
g - Photoshopped first to add saturation of 30 then rinsed after 20 minutes in cold water using fabric softener as detergent
h - Photoshopped first to add brightness of 30 and contrast of 30 then rinsed after 20 minutes in cold water using fabric softener as detergent
i - Photoshopped first to add brightness of 50 and contrast of 50 then rinsed after 20 minutes in cold water using fabric softener as detergent (I like the look of this one)
j - Rinsed in cold water after 30 minutes using fabric softener as detergent
k - Rinsed in cold water after 1 hour using fabric softener as detergent
l - Rinsed in cold water after 2 hours using fabric softener as detergent
m - Photograph printed on fabric but not rinsed (true picture colour)

The next picture shows a close up of a picture print gone wrong but I wanted to show what I did with the same photos.  If you look at the print on the right (with the same two photos together), the photo to the very right I photoshopped by changing the colour balance by 50 to blue.  It gives a truer colour to the original.  I'm sure if this were tweaked right, would give the true colour to the picture on the left.  For some reason, the blue in each case, seems to rinse out more than any other colour.

Here are some other pictures I did using a slightly different recipe.  This recipe was (by weight):

85% water
10% alum powder
4% washing soda
1% fabric softener

I thought a fabric label would be cool:

THIS ROCKS   Logged
thingwraith
Awaiting zombification

Horse Montage!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2006 09:24:12 PM »

I think letter i looks pretty good.  Those bottom two labels look fantastic by the way!  Maybe the alum powder made a difference?  I was at the store a bit ago and was depressed to see they did not have the soda stuff.  *sigh*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://zomboid.com
My website, newly redesigned as of 9-2010! ^_^

http://facebook.com/heycookie
Yes, I have one of those, too. ^^;
suganspyyce
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2006 10:34:12 PM »

Same here, i couldnt find the soda stuff either.  If I find some i well let everybody know where i got it.  (I looked at walmart so far)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #25 on: October 28, 2006 01:19:40 AM »

I think letter i looks pretty good.  Those bottom two labels look fantastic by the way!  Maybe the alum powder made a difference?  I was at the store a bit ago and was depressed to see they did not have the soda stuff.  *sigh*

When researching the recipe the most commonly used "mordant" ingredient was Alum.  A mordant is basically what Bubble Jet Set is.  A substance in which you pre-treat fabric to allow colours to set into the fabric. 

Washing Soda some say is a mordant and some say it isn't but all agree that Alum is.  I believe that Alum is fairly easily obtainable in the US in chemist/drug stores. 

According to the link below, a substitute for washing soda is baking soda (bicarbonate of soda for those in Australia).  I can try and tweak the recipe so that baking soda (bicarbonate of soda) is substituted for the washing soda.  Will let you know.....

As for washing soda, I did see on this website:  http://griffindyeworks.com/mordant_info/sodaash.html that it is available in grocery and hardware stores.  The website I got this info from is based in California.

Hope this helps  Wink

Good luck in your search!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2006 02:57:10 AM »

I just found this when doing a Google search:

"You can buy Sodium Carbonate (aka Washing soda, aka Laundry Soda) in any pool store. Look for PH increaser and serveral brands are 100% sodium carbonate also called soda ash."

It was in a forum on a US site called www.thriftyfun.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2006 07:23:04 AM »

soda ash is available at lots of craft stores too, the ones that sell it for tie dying. It's probably cheaper at pool stores though.

I usually order mine from http://www.dharmatrading.com/ Great customer service, quick shipping. Decent prices.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2006 11:35:52 AM »

*hugs you* This is awesome! I've been wanting to make some stuff like this and now I know how! I wonder how this works with something you've drawn and then scanned to the computer. (must experiment.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2006 12:58:54 PM »

I wonder how this works with something you've drawn and then scanned to the computer. (must experiment.)

Yes it will work - anything you can print on paper, you can print on fabric !!!!  Go for it !!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Fashion Expert Marcy Guevara Gives Us Style Tips For Plus Sized Women
Taylor Swift Rocks Out in Red on NYE
The Top Trends to Wear in 2013
Holiday Party Fashion Dos
How to Dress for the Office During the Summer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...