A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,720
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Homemade Bubble Jet Set *Edited with new recipe* *Edited using inks*  (Read 118954 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: October 26, 2006 01:17:37 PM »

I made this bag last night (the pictures show each side of the bag - the pictures are of my gorgeous boys!!!) using a homemade bubble jet set recipe I have been experimenting with.  I was so excited that it worked, I want to share it with all you gorgeous craftsters:

I also made this cosmetic bag using the same process:

****Now been edited to change the recipe - the new one is better!!****

Here's how I did it. 

Firstly choose your fabric.  It needs to be 100% cotton or 100% silk (haven't tried it with silk).  Cut it to a little larger than the paper you run through your inkjet printer.

Then get your equipment.  Yup - just like cooking!!!

Here's the recipe (the percentages are by weight - NOT volume):

85% hot water
10% washing soda (the crystal type - it's also known as Soda Ash)
5% fabric softener

Here's the new recipe (the percentages are by weight - NOT volume):

85% hot water
10% alum
4% washing soda (also known as Soda Ash)
1% fabric softener

So, as an example, if you wanted to make 300g, you would mix:

255g hot water
30g alum
12g washing soda
3g fabric softener

When you mix all the ingredients, it will foam up - don't worry the foaminess will subside and you will be left with a liquid.  (It will look different to the picture below)

In this next photo you will see I have added the ingredients (but not stirred them):

Next add your fabric to the mixture.  Let it soak for 5-10 minutes. Hang the fabric to dry.  If you are in a hurry, you can blast the fabric with the hairdryer to dry.

While you're waiting for the fabric to dry, save any leftover and store in a labelled jar:

Once your fabric is dry, you need to adhere the fabric to something to allow it to go through the printer.  I have had success with ironing it to iron-on interfacing.  In this example, I glued the fabric to the paper using spray glue (I also used a piece of sticky tape on the first edge to go through the printer so that the fabric wouldn't lift off the page when the printer intially "grabs" the fabric/paper and jam the printer.)  You could also use freezer paper.

Then you trim the fabric to fit the paper:

Then print your image onto the fabric/paper.  I just used Microsoft Word to strategically place the photos on the fabric.  When printing use the highest quality setting.

Once your image is on the fabric, wait 20 minutes*(see EDIT below) before rinsing the excess ink from the fabric.  Remove your paper backing.  Put some cold water and a little fabric softener in a sink, dunk the fabric straight in and give it a quick swish.  At this point, you will lose some of the colour.  I guess you need to start with a dark/high contrast photo (I haven't experimented greatly).  The fabric softener is a mild detergent.

Wring out excess water then leave to dry.  The next photo shows when I have just wrung out the fabric and is still wet:

Once dry, you are now ready to make something with your creation!!!

EDIT:  If you are using genuine ink cartridges, you can leave the print for 20 minutes before rinsing but if you are using generic ink cartridges, leave the print overnight before rinsing.  There should be no fading.

When washing, only use a mild detergent such as fabric softener or handmade soap.

And one more tip - only treat as much fabric as you will use in a day (this is a tip from Bubble Jet Set instructions).

Post here if you have any other tips/suggestions - I would love to see what other craftsters come up with.

ENJOY !!!  Wink
« Last Edit: May 17, 2007 02:39:27 PM by queenofdiy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Ezri_B
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006 01:23:02 PM »

You ROCK ROCK ROCK ROCK ROCK!!!!!
This is amazing. That stuff is expensive. And you made it! You amaze me! Thank you so much for the tutorial! You are so sweet to share. Your family is darling and the bags you made are amazing as well!

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006 01:26:39 PM by Ezri_B » THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006 01:26:59 PM »

Yeah - I hate it that big companies charge a fortune for stuff that is mostly water!!! hehehe
THIS ROCKS   Logged
charliebrown

Babies are for lickin'

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006 01:28:37 PM »

Thank you for this tutorial!! I buy so much of the photo fabric and it is soooo expensive. I will definitely be trying this very soon.

BTW - your boys are gorgeous!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suganspyyce
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006 01:32:53 PM »

Ooohhh thank you!!  I have tried some alternatives to just buying the fabric made for this.  None of them has worked like yours.  Can you or somebody tell me what soda ash is and where you can find it?  Is it the stuff for tye dye?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006 01:36:54 PM »

Ooohhh thank you!!  I have tried some alternatives to just buying the fabric made for this.  None of them has worked like yours.  Can you or somebody tell me what soda ash is and where you can find it?  Is it the stuff for tye dye?

I'm from Australia, so soda ash (or commonly known as Washing Soda) is found in the laundry aisle of Woolworths.  It looks like chunks of crystals.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nico-tiro

Its Your Life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006 02:00:56 PM »

amazing!!! i wanna try it too!! gosh. have to  find those washing crystals...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

_chittybangbang
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006 03:03:01 PM »

Awesome tutorial! where would i find washing soda?..Walmart..perhaps?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rubywoo
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006 04:53:59 PM »

Arm & Hammer makes washing soda. It's in the laundry eisle and it's in a yellow box, not the typical orange. It's not available in all markets though. Check out their website for useful information on how to locate the store nearest you that carries it. They give you a UPC number that your store can look it up. Here is the website...

http://www.thelaundrybasket.com/Questions_Comments/Questions_Comments_Super_Washing_Soda/questions_comments_super_washi.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_chittybangbang
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006 06:09:18 PM »

Arm & Hammer makes washing soda. It's in the laundry eisle and it's in a yellow box, not the typical orange. It's not available in all markets though. Check out their website for useful information on how to locate the store nearest you that carries it. They give you a UPC number that your store can look it up. Here is the website...

http://www.thelaundrybasket.com/Questions_Comments/Questions_Comments_Super_Washing_Soda/questions_comments_super_washi.html

Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for it next time i'm shopping
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do a French Braid Dutch-Style Aka Inside Out or Reverse Braid
How to Do a Fishtail Updo
How to Do a French Braided Headband- Part 2
How to Do a French Braided Headband -Part 1
How to Do a French Braid
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...