A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: It's time to vote for your favorite swapped project! Smiley  Vote now through Sunday, August 30th!
Total Members: 311,382
Currently Running With Scissors:
548 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Homemade Bubble Jet Set *Edited with new recipe* *Edited using inks*  (Read 137498 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

_chittybangbang
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2006 10:32:47 AM »

ohh.. thanks!! Smiley it should be in the laundry aisle of walmart;)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2006 12:56:11 PM »

queenofdiy - you rock - i love that you did all that experimenting and work and shared with us all -
one question - have you ever tried setting the colors with vinegar?
Back in the old days, the first iron on transfers required washing the shirt the first time with vinegar in the water and that supposedly helped to set it.
and another question - why the fabric softener? when I printed using transfers you were supposed to make sure you washed the fabric without fabric softener at least the first time or it wouldn't transfer as good?
I can't wait to try this!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much  Grin

You're welcome !!  Wink

To answer your question regarding vinegar (I got the following information from here:  http://www.caron-net.com/featurefiles/featapr.html )

"A mordant is an agent which allows the dye molecule to react with the fiber. Some dye reactions occur best in an acidic environment while others require an alkali PH. Generally, an acid mordant (vinegar is a weak acid) is used with wool and an alkali (such as soda ash) with cotton. In either case, thorough washing of the fiber after the dye process has been completed is necessary to remove all of the mordant and any unreacted dye. Excess mordant left in the fiber could weaken it eventually.

Important note: You may have heard that a vinegar and water solution will set any color that runs. That may be true if an acid mordant was used. However, an acid will not alter colorfastness if an alkali mordant has been used.

It is much safer - regardless of the type of fiber - to rinse in several baths of cool to lukewarm water (no soap) until all excess color has been removed."

As for the fabric softener, Bubble Jet Set put out a product called "Bubble Jet Set Rinse".  It is basically a washing product that you use to rinse the excess ink out.  In researching this recipe, I learned that Bubble Jet Set Rinse contained some of the ingredients that Bubble Jet Set did.  I also learned that fabric softener is a mild detergent.  As you can see from the experiments that I did, if I used no detergent when rinsing after printing, most of the colour was washed out. 

The following is a blurb on Bubble Jet Set Rinse from here http://www.compuquilt.com/bubble_jet_set_rinse.html

"Bubble Jet Rinse is a mild detergent for direct ink and dye applications. This product is excellent for washing fabrics that were recently dyed or painted. It prevents fabrics from fading. Bubble Jet Rinse contains no perfumes and no bleach products which could be abrasive to your fabric. Many detergents attract recently applied inks and dyes, but Bubble Jet Rinse contains no sodium carbonate which is the number one reason why fabrics fade after washing."

As for pre-washing the fabric, I read on a website that a group of quilters used both methods and they are undecided s to whether to pre-wash.  I guess it's probably personal preference.

Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
_chittybangbang
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2006 01:01:30 PM »

wow, you're like a craft scientist!! Cheesy Wink I would NEVER be able to figure all of this stuff out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2006 01:04:14 PM »

wow, you're like a craft scientist!! Cheesy Wink I would NEVER be able to figure all of this stuff out!

Thanks - but not really.  I'm just a cheap a$$ with too much time on my hands  Smiley  Oh and Google is my best friend  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2006 01:08:35 PM »

Thanks queenofdiy - you really did research everything!
I agree with _chittybangbang - you are like a craft scientist  Grin
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006 01:11:00 PM by kaleesi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
_chittybangbang
« Reply #45 on: October 29, 2006 01:53:11 PM »

Thanks - but not really.  I'm just a cheap a$$ with too much time on my hands  Smiley  Oh and Google is my best friend  Roll Eyes

I'm pretty cheap myself and have alot of time on my hands..but i'm also a lazy bum.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

suganspyyce
« Reply #46 on: October 29, 2006 04:22:50 PM »

I found the alum in one of the smaller containers in the spice isle.  The only brand i could find was McCormick.  You may have to look hard, but it's there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #47 on: October 29, 2006 07:21:56 PM »

Thankyou, I am going to try this soon. it would be great for xmas gifts.
lovely bag by the way!!
I am in australia.
I just rang around, no alum in local pharmacy but i will order off that link.
Apparently its a raw chemical and due to new anti terrorist laws etc  the pharmacists dont stock a lot of raw chemicals.
thanks for the link.
clever stuff.
cyndi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sewingcybermom

What are you sewing today?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: November 01, 2006 11:05:12 PM »

Here's my creation!! It's an old picture of my mom and dad. They are both gone now, but I loved this picture of them. Thanks for the information!

« Last Edit: August 16, 2007 01:33:16 PM by sewingcybermom » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Flickr - where my camera meets my work:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/18784537@N04/

My Etsy Shop:
www.howardavenue.net
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #49 on: November 01, 2006 11:11:21 PM »

I saw your post when I clicked on the "recent posts with pics" button and I wondered if you had used Bubble Jet Set or my recipe. 

It looks fantastic!! I think it's such a wonderful thing and - yes, I think you should attach swarovski crystals too!!  Grin

Well done on such a special bag - you have honoured them with such a lovely bag you will cherish for years to come.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Take Out Backcombed Hair
How to Straighten Curly Hair
How to Cut Hair with Clippers
How to Blow Dry Black Hair
How to Make a Bump in Your Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Upcycled Paint Cans
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...