A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 299,125
Currently Running With Scissors:
644 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Homemade Bubble Jet Set *Edited with new recipe* *Edited using inks*  (Read 123878 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

_chittybangbang
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2006 01:39:38 PM »

What if we're using a black and white image.. Would the color end up being a dark gray or light gray? or remain remotely black?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2006 02:43:39 PM »

I am guessing it remains black.  See the picture of the "Made by Michelle" label, the daisy in the middle is done with a mostly black and white image.  It's a Microsoft clip art, the original of which you can see here:

http://office.microsoft.com/clipart/results.aspx?lc=en-au&Scope=MC&Query=daisy

It retains it's black and white charactaristics quite well.  Obviously with all these prints, you need to print on white fabric.

As for a black and white photo, I will test it and post results  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bhean
Fairly goth mother

believing is seeing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2006 04:32:44 PM »

I tried using the freezer paper, but the feed dogs got caught in the backing and it jammed.  Is this because I didn't iron enough, too much, maybe I had the steam on - or is it because I have a top loading printer and should try a front loading one?HuhHuh?

I really want to do this, but I don't want to screw up my new printer....

Tanx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wistiness.... www.wists.com/bhean
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2006 05:21:40 PM »

I tried using the freezer paper, but the feed dogs got caught in the backing and it jammed.  Is this because I didn't iron enough, too much, maybe I had the steam on - or is it because I have a top loading printer and should try a front loading one?HuhHuh?

I really want to do this, but I don't want to screw up my new printer....

Tanx

Oh dear!  My Canon printer is a top loading one.  It jammed a couple of times too.   Cry  It's still working though!!  Cheesy  Yay for cheap printers.

What you could try is printing the picture on paper first then cut your fabric a bit larger than the picture.  Tape (using sticky tape) the top and side edges of the fabric down over the paper printed image.  Taping the side edges as well should prevent the print head lifting the fabric and jamming.  Then try running this through the printer.  Just make sure that when the printer intially "grabs", it is grabbing paper rather than paper and fabric.  I use this technique when I want to print on some scraps of card.  I know it uses more ink but I have never had a jam doing it this way.  One way you could conserve ink is that when you print on the paper first, set your printer to a draft setting or something similar so it uses minimal ink.

I would love to see your results!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bhean
Fairly goth mother

believing is seeing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2006 05:26:48 PM »

Cool, I had thought of that, but just didn't have the nerve to try it.  I'll keep you posted!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wistiness.... www.wists.com/bhean
suganspyyce
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2006 11:08:31 PM »

Here is a picture of what i found at hobby lobby.  It sells for 3.99.  The box contains enough ash to make two 1 gallon batches and gloves.  I also found the site earlier about the pool stores having it.  One thing i wanted to add was that it said to make sure that they dont try to sell you sodium bicarbonate.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2006 03:32:54 AM »

I have since made a better recipe (recipe now edited in the original post) and these are the results (oh, and for Eliea, the first picture is a hand drawing scanned in and printed and for _chittybangbang, the second is a black and white picture of yours truely  Tongue):

The next picture is a close-up of the alum recipe results - MUCH better than the original recipe:

As you can see from the first picture, the fabric has actually been discoloured from the soda ash recipe.   Huh  Not sure why that happened with this one.

I had a little trouble finding Alum.  None of the chemists here in Australia had any.  I had to buy it online from here:  http://www.epharmacy.com.au.  But for you lucky Americans, it seems as if spice shops carry it (from what I've searched in Google) as well as chemists/pharmacies (or do you call them drug stores?).
« Last Edit: January 01, 2011 09:20:24 AM by kategirl - Reason: Fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kaleesi
Craftaholic

Rae'Lynn Grace - 5 months old

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2006 03:52:25 AM »

queenofdiy - you rock - i love that you did all that experimenting and work and shared with us all -
one question - have you ever tried setting the colors with vinegar?
Back in the old days, the first iron on transfers required washing the shirt the first time with vinegar in the water and that supposedly helped to set it.
and another question - why the fabric softener? when I printed using transfers you were supposed to make sure you washed the fabric without fabric softener at least the first time or it wouldn't transfer as good?
I can't wait to try this!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much  Grin
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006 04:06:20 AM by kaleesi » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a gorgeous granddaughter Smiley

Not allowed to craft without supervision Wink
God is big enough.....
_chittybangbang
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2006 05:35:52 AM »

WOW! thanks queenofdiy! you tottaly answered my question Cheesy I'm in canada..where would i find this "alum" you speak of? I've looked in Walmart for the arm and hammer washing soda and found it there but i have no idea as too where i should be looking for alum. : Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lalarocks
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2006 06:45:14 AM »

This is so awesome!  Thank you so much for doing this! _Chitty, you can find alum in the spice aisle.  You use it for canning.  I hope our Walmart has that washing soda.  I'm so excited to try this!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Knit the Stockinette Stitch
How to Make a Handmade Paper Picture Frame
How to Tie a Slip Knot for Knitting
How to Make a Molded Candle
How to Arrange Flowers in a Wide Shallow Vase
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...