A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Homemade Bubble Jet Set *Edited with new recipe* *Edited using inks*  (Read 120431 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Solsisters
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2010 11:13:23 PM »

LOVE IT!

Do y'all think it would work with a laser printer?

No it won;t. Laser printers lay down a powder that is fused to the paper or fabric. Inkjets use a liquid ink that soaks the fibers. The powder will flake off and can't be set into the fibers like the liquid ink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thale
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2010 05:55:35 PM »

I just discovered that you could print directly on fabric, but I was really bummed out when I saw that I needed a special treatment for the cloth, because I live in a very lovely but quite understocked country! We get almost no products like this, especially in the city where I live. The most "specific" thing you could get for fabric painting would probably be just the typical fabric paint. But then I found your recipe!! Now I just have to hope I can find soda ash Smiley but I think I've seen it here before. So than you very very much! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
floralandskulls
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2011 02:35:13 AM »

this is FANTASTIC! i am so excited to try this.
Does anyone know what you can use an alternative to alum? I'm in the uk and it's so hard to find!
Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sinyachan
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2011 01:39:34 PM »

Great job!! can't wait to see more of your tutorials on other projects. Thank you so much!! Wink

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011 02:48:56 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
veri
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2012 06:44:13 AM »

I'm also searching for alum substitutes as here it's impossible to get it... I searched the web for homemade mordants but most call for alum or iron water which would probably make the image darker/grayer as it has that effect on dyes... Any idea?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2012 01:58:30 PM »

To try and answer some of your questions:

www.amazon.co.uk sell alum.

You could try substituting styptic powder for the alum.  Styptic powder is used by pet groomers and vets to stem bleeding caused when a blood vessel in a pet's nail is cut.  Styptic powder is available at any pet supply retailer and can be found alongside other pet first aid products. 

There are 3 ingredients in styptic powder and all are known to be used as mordants. 

I haven't tried it but I would guess that it would work given that all three ingredients are used as mordants.  If you are interested, the three ingredients are usually: 

Ferric Subsulfate, Potassium Alum and Zinc Sulphate

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sara_maarof
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2012 06:17:49 AM »

thats AMAZING ! thank you

i just cant find freezer paper anywhere ! :S so if i glue regular printer paper to fabric, will it work ? .. what puzzles me is how i ll get to detach the fabric from paper after printing ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flybobbinfly
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2013 09:16:04 AM »

This recipe was great!  Thank you!  I had most of the ingredients already, what I didnt have is the alum which I found on www.dharmatrading.com (they are great and also sell small amounts of most chemicals).  I did add one step though....at the end when you wash the fabric I added a few drops of Dharma's Dye fixative, I let it sit for a few minutes and then gently washed the fabric (no sloshing or wringing!) Lay flat and let it dry and then iron.  My colors were outstanding.

I do have to say though, I have never had much luck with using adhesive spray or glue to attach to the printer.  I always use printer paper.  I just wish I could find flat (not rolled) freezer paper in 13x19 sheets.  Anyone know of a good source where you don't have to buy it in bulk.  A hundred sheet pack would be great!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
DP564
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2013 09:49:48 AM »

Hi I live in Australia and I don't know what Alum is. Can you please tell me? I'm a brand new Granny and want to make some quilt labels with your recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2013 02:45:36 PM »

Hi I live in Australia and I don't know what Alum is. Can you please tell me? I'm a brand new Granny and want to make some quilt labels with your recipe!

Sorry for the long delay in replying - I've made a huge move from Australia to the US!!  Before I left Australia, I was told you can't buy alum over the counter anymore - something to do with the druggos!!!  You can buy it on ebay Australia - just search alum powder on Ebay and there are many sellers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High-End and Low End Saloon Haircuts
What Frightens Women About Cutting Their Hair
Overcoming Haircut Fears
How to Fix Frizzy Hair
How to Choose the Right Wig for You
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...