A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,599
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 32 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Tutorial: Homemade Bubble Jet Set *Edited with new recipe* *Edited using inks*  (Read 114341 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Solsisters
« Reply #130 on: May 01, 2010 11:13:23 PM »

LOVE IT!

Do y'all think it would work with a laser printer?

No it won;t. Laser printers lay down a powder that is fused to the paper or fabric. Inkjets use a liquid ink that soaks the fibers. The powder will flake off and can't be set into the fibers like the liquid ink.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Thale
« Reply #131 on: July 12, 2010 05:55:35 PM »

I just discovered that you could print directly on fabric, but I was really bummed out when I saw that I needed a special treatment for the cloth, because I live in a very lovely but quite understocked country! We get almost no products like this, especially in the city where I live. The most "specific" thing you could get for fabric painting would probably be just the typical fabric paint. But then I found your recipe!! Now I just have to hope I can find soda ash Smiley but I think I've seen it here before. So than you very very much! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
floralandskulls
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2011 02:35:13 AM »

this is FANTASTIC! i am so excited to try this.
Does anyone know what you can use an alternative to alum? I'm in the uk and it's so hard to find!
Thanks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sinyachan
« Reply #133 on: April 19, 2011 01:39:34 PM »

Great job!! can't wait to see more of your tutorials on other projects. Thank you so much!! Wink

« Last Edit: April 19, 2011 02:48:56 PM by jungrrl - Reason: edited to comply with Craftster guidelines » THIS ROCKS   Logged
veri
« Reply #134 on: May 07, 2012 06:44:13 AM »

I'm also searching for alum substitutes as here it's impossible to get it... I searched the web for homemade mordants but most call for alum or iron water which would probably make the image darker/grayer as it has that effect on dyes... Any idea?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2012 01:58:30 PM »

To try and answer some of your questions:

www.amazon.co.uk sell alum.

You could try substituting styptic powder for the alum.  Styptic powder is used by pet groomers and vets to stem bleeding caused when a blood vessel in a pet's nail is cut.  Styptic powder is available at any pet supply retailer and can be found alongside other pet first aid products. 

There are 3 ingredients in styptic powder and all are known to be used as mordants. 

I haven't tried it but I would guess that it would work given that all three ingredients are used as mordants.  If you are interested, the three ingredients are usually: 

Ferric Subsulfate, Potassium Alum and Zinc Sulphate

Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sara_maarof
« Reply #136 on: November 18, 2012 06:17:49 AM »

thats AMAZING ! thank you

i just cant find freezer paper anywhere ! :S so if i glue regular printer paper to fabric, will it work ? .. what puzzles me is how i ll get to detach the fabric from paper after printing ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flybobbinfly
« Reply #137 on: March 10, 2013 09:16:04 AM »

This recipe was great!  Thank you!  I had most of the ingredients already, what I didnt have is the alum which I found on www.dharmatrading.c om (they are great and also sell small amounts of most chemicals).  I did add one step though....at the end when you wash the fabric I added a few drops of Dharma's Dye fixative, I let it sit for a few minutes and then gently washed the fabric (no sloshing or wringing!) Lay flat and let it dry and then iron.  My colors were outstanding.

I do have to say though, I have never had much luck with using adhesive spray or glue to attach to the printer.  I always use printer paper.  I just wish I could find flat (not rolled) freezer paper in 13x19 sheets.  Anyone know of a good source where you don't have to buy it in bulk.  A hundred sheet pack would be great!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
DP564
« Reply #138 on: July 30, 2013 09:49:48 AM »

Hi I live in Australia and I don't know what Alum is. Can you please tell me? I'm a brand new Granny and want to make some quilt labels with your recipe!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
queenofdiy
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #139 on: December 19, 2013 02:45:36 PM »

Hi I live in Australia and I don't know what Alum is. Can you please tell me? I'm a brand new Granny and want to make some quilt labels with your recipe!

Sorry for the long delay in replying - I've made a huge move from Australia to the US!!  Before I left Australia, I was told you can't buy alum over the counter anymore - something to do with the druggos!!!  You can buy it on ebay Australia - just search alum powder on Ebay and there are many sellers.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
“Cupcake Wars” Stars Make Sweet Potato Cupcakes
How to Make a Blackberry Skillet Cake
Summer Squash Tart Recipe
Gluten Free Banana Bread Recipe
How to Make a Grilled Peach Dessert Lasagna
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...