A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Glitter will spruce up any body parts you have laying around the house.
Total Members: 302,543
Currently Running With Scissors:
559 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: handpaintedyarn.com, white undyed spots : normal ?  (Read 1633 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

SylvChezPlum
Knitting and crocheting in France

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« on: October 26, 2006 06:14:13 AM »

Hi,

I bought off another girl on Destash those 5 skeins of bulky Merino from http://handpaintedyarn.com. I do eat that Cuarenta colourway, and the yarn IS very soft, but what about the big white undyed spots ?

Anybody bought yarn from them, did you have the same white spots ? Is that considered normal and to be expected with their yarn ? And what should I do now, try and Kook-aid the white spots, or just leave it as is and hope it doesnt show too much..?
I emailed them and still havent heard back. Id eat to hear about other peoples experience with them

Thanks

Sylv
« Last Edit: March 03, 2010 09:54:21 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Patterns & free Patterns: ChezPlum - Blog - Etsy -
Rav - Craftsy
ermiller1
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006 06:28:54 AM »

Looking at it, it doesn't look intentional, like the spot where the yarn was tied when dying and they were not careful to insure the dye was saturated through that area. Kool aid would be a crapshoot because you will get another spotch of a different color.  If you are unhappy with the spots, I would contact them and express your concern.  If they are a reputable company, they will accept a return. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diosaperdida
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006 06:36:24 AM »

I would not keep that yarn..it'll probably look not at all nice when worked up.
I am sure they would be happy to do an exchange if as ermiller1 says...they are reputable. I also agree that kool ade would be risky...but if it were my only option I would try that and then over dye ALL of it after, and hope for the best.

edit..ahh

I didnt read very well..my appologies. They may not exchange your yarn since you bought it more or less "second hand".  Sad
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006 06:39:31 AM by diosaperdida » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
SylvChezPlum

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006 07:11:04 AM »

yeah, so as I said I already emailed them but got no answer yet. I'm not really after an exchange or whatever as 1) I did buy it off sbdy else (although it came in the original bag with order nber on it..) and 2) I live in France so it might end up costing more in postage back and forth than the actual value of the yarn...

But the thing is I really wonder if this is their "regular" standards for dying wool, or just bad luck for me ..? I mean, I like their yarn and colourways but now I'd hesitate buying more from them..   Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rav - Craftsy
IamSusie
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006 08:01:24 AM »

I might have this on my own homemade Kool-aid yarn, but I wouldn't ever sell it with white spots that big.  They should have been more open about the quality of the dye job.  I think you are stuck with this yarn though, because if the complexities of shipping. 

It looks like a really lazy dye job, because the pink and the blue run together to make a lovely purple which is really preferable to the overly large white patches

The good news is that since it is a handdyed, it won't matter much if your homemade dye doesn't match exactly.  I think you could get away with a blue kool-aid in those white spots.  I've been adding food coloring drops to my kool-aid and this works great and the color is a nice blue, similar to what the blue you have in your photo.

If you do it with only food color drops, you do have to add vinegar.  I suppose you already know that....

I wouldn't buy from them again, but it's possible that it was a rejected lot that you ended up with. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SylvChezPlum

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006 08:47:04 AM »

but it's possible that it was a rejected lot that you ended up with. 
yeah, that's kind of what I'm wondering too.. !
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rav - Craftsy
meriellyn
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006 08:53:40 AM »

That does appear to be a bad lot. The reject idea is certainly a possibility. I've hear lots of good things about the company and have considered buying from them myself. I'm a little hesitant now, though.
I would still contact the company (as you did). Since you still have all the original info, they should still stand behind the product, in theory. If they do offer to, I'll probably still consider a purchase of my own. I can handle a little mix up when their prices are so low, as long as they'll take care of it.

I'd be really disappointed with the person who passed this along to you! They should have been upfront about the quality of the dyeing! I'm pretty sure HP would have exchanged it for them. It's just mean to pass that off on another unsuspecting knitter!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SylvChezPlum

J'adoooore Crafster !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006 09:04:43 AM »

Thanks for all your inputs btw, forgot that in my last answers !!  Grin

That does appear to be a bad lot. The reject idea is certainly a possibility. I've hear lots of good things about the company and have considered buying from them myself. I'm a little hesitant now, though.
I would still contact the company (as you did). Since you still have all the original info, they should still stand behind the product, in theory. If they do offer to, I'll probably still consider a purchase of my own. I can handle a little mix up when their prices are so low, as long as they'll take care of it.

I'd be really disappointed with the person who passed this along to you! They should have been upfront about the quality of the dyeing! I'm pretty sure HP would have exchanged it for them. It's just mean to pass that off on another unsuspecting knitter!

I'm actually not even sure that person even opened the bag ! So she might just not even have known about it ...

I'll try and send another email to the company, this time with the order number + link to my pic so they see what I'm talking about...
If they answer I'll certainly let you know about it !!

ANd just the same, I've been eyeing their single bulky yarn (sorry don't remember the name) and don't mind about some white-ish  spots, esp. for that low price and all.. but not that bad...
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006 09:14:53 AM by SylvChezPlum » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Rav - Craftsy
TheBon

We are without leeches or wenches.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006 09:12:58 AM »

You know, I would knit  a swatch with one of the skeins making sure that you end up with a bit of the white in that swatch. You might be surprised at how it comes out.

I think that since you got it second-hand and don't have any idea of how the product was marketed that you really have no real cause for outrage. Besides, it is handpainted and variations do occur. I don't think it was a "lazy dye job" at all. Dyeing is not an exact science.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graphic designer, illustrator, all around nerd.

my wists!
I take pictures everywhere!
aduaidh
procrastinator x100

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006 09:14:26 AM »

Don't be discouraged from buying from handpaintedyarn.com!
I have bought tons of yarn from them (I think half my stash is their yarn), and never have I received yarn with such obvious white spots. Of course, all their colors are slightly variegated due to hand-dyeing, but I have been happy with all my orders.
Although, I'll admit that I've never bought yarn from them dyed with two different colors. So maybe that's the problem.
Also, I've found them to be a bit slow when it comes to replying to email- but always nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Basic Supplies for Face Painting
How to Face Paint a Christmas Tree Tattoo
How to Create a Collage for Your Face Painting Work
How to Load Your Face Paint Brush
How to Use Glitter in Face Painting
Latest Blog Articles
I Am Zombie Homer
Beware! Zombunnies!
April 1, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...