A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
461 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fill an Australian in...Your Christmas baking traditions!  (Read 11966 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissMeshell
« Reply #50 on: November 01, 2006 09:45:18 PM »

Yay, another Perth baker! Cheesy Oh I HATE that white christmas stuff, I had forgotten all about it *bleh* Wink

A lady at my work also bakes christmas cakes around this time of year, she gets orders for like 80 of them and does the same as your mum, starts them really early and keeps them for months and does special cake things to them, lol.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
indigokat

Craftin' while they're nappin'

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2006 12:00:10 PM »

Great thread! And I'm PMSing so that fudge sounds yummy!

I started a few years ago having friends over for a cookie decorating party. I cook all the vanilla and sugar cookies several nights in advance and put them all in various tins (so there is like 100 or so). Then the night before I whip up some standard confectionary icing and tint it many different colors and put them all in different sealed containers. I pull out several tables and put plastic tablecloths on and put all sorts of icing decorations & candies along with bowls of the different colored icing on each table.
I throw on some baked potato soup and cook some homemade bread & biscuits so everyone has something to nosh on besides the cookies.

It is SO much fun! You look around and everyone is grinning like the big kids they are. And it's a great bonding thing for different groups of friends. I'll have my group of single girlfriends, gay guy friends, married couples with kids and husband's bandmates, etc.
(OK - granted you can hear certain tables giggling as someone ALWAYS makes an
R-rated gingerbread man) Smiley

And when we're done I send them home with their creations in tins or plastic containers for them to enjoy. (and the mix CD of holiday music we've been listening to all night)

OH - and another thing I always make is Peppermint Bark. It's very simple to make and is so pretty to just put in a cellophane baggie with a ribbon to give as a hostess gift or to give out to co-workers, etc.
I found this recipe for it online:
http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_24773,00.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Back from hiatus and trying not to just lurk.
MissMeshell
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2006 06:56:24 PM »

The cookie party sounds like an absolute ball!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SherNWT
« Reply #53 on: November 02, 2006 08:02:37 PM »

OK so Canadian here.  My family has an English/Welsh background and my Husbands family has a Danish/Mennonite Background. So we are all screwed up. 

Being that I live way up North I will use any excuse to turn my oven on in the winter and heat up my house.   

I usually make sugar cookies, gingerbread and pffefneuse.  Mom does way more including shortbread of course and these yucky ones containg mincemeat.  MIL makes Vanille Kranse (ok my danish is horrible so read that Vanilla wreaths) and twisted sisters (there is a german name that I have not learned yet).   

I like squares so I do a Candy square (coloured mini marshmallows, butterscotch chips and peanut butter), fudge, 5 star bars, a cranberry square, buttertart bars and what ever else I can think of. 

Add in some good old fashion Canadian pies (the flavours are always different mince, apple, lemon, saskatoon, rhubarb and pumpkin)  and buttertarts and mince tarts. 

Mom makes the good old fashioned Christmas pudding (we serve ours with hard sauce  think really hard icing) and a light (rum soaked) and dark christmas cake and I beg for her to send me some so I don't have to cut all that fruit . 

I HAVE to have fresh homemade bread. 

My family usually eats  turkey with all the fixings and my dh family eats duck and red cabbage and about 50000000 kinds of cheese and schnapps and beer.    I love to have spaghetti on Christmas eve.

I am sure there are all sorts of other things (we haven't even begun to do candy and chocolate). 

Sher   
THIS ROCKS   Logged
batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #54 on: November 02, 2006 08:03:15 PM »

We had a gingerbread house party once! It was fun! Mine was more like a gingerbread shack or even a gingerbread pile, but it was much fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
MissMeshell
« Reply #55 on: November 02, 2006 08:06:05 PM »

Ha! One year we were going to make a gingerbread house, my brother and I, but we all ate the lollies that had been bought for it until there were none left so we never actually made the house Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Sweetttart3

Tea and Cake or Death

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 03, 2006 09:23:36 AM »

Thanks for the link indigokat! Everyone here is a great inspiration for O.D.-ing on sugar. I really want to bake up a storm this year. My finace and middle sister usually hate xmas, but this year they are excited so I plan on exploiting it.  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Damn the man, Save the Empire!

http://www.wists.com/Sweetttart3

I wanna personal swap!
Saor
Crafting for more years than I care to remember!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #57 on: November 03, 2006 09:53:40 AM »

What are butter tarts?? I have seen them mentioned a few times. I love reading about all these desserts and cookies which are new to me.

When I was growing up we always had a fried breakfast(sausages,eggs, rashers,etc)for Christmas morning.  All the year round we just had frys for weekend teas so it was special to have it Christmas morning. I think it was to keep us going throughout the day because we had to go to Mass, visit my grandmother and then cross the city to my other Granny where we ate Christmas dinner. It was the only day of the year we ate in the dining room. That was when we were little Smiley

Then when we were older and started having Xmas day at home we had an earlier dinner and no big breakfast but instead had tea - turkey sandwiches, mince pies, xmas pudding and cake. To be honest I prefer savoury food so the cheeses and salmon are what I get excited about at Xmas.

My husband's family always has a starter of salmon.

This year is the first Xmas dinner in our house (DH and mine) so I am very excited. And nervous. We are having at least 7. The cool thing is firstly, we can start  our own Christmas food traditions and secondly, we will be eating our dinner off the same dining table that I ate my Xmas dinner off - which I inherited from my Granny. My Mum also ate her Xmas dinner off it when she was a child. It's my kitchen table now and needs to be refinished but I don't care. I love that kind of tradition....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

peariso
« Reply #58 on: November 03, 2006 10:05:33 AM »

Butter tarts are basically a really sweet sticky custard in tart form.  Sometimes people put rasins/currents in them but I like mine plain.

They are very similar to a pecan pie/tart.

Shells
1 1/2  cups all-purpose flour 
1/2  teaspoon sugar 
1/4  teaspoon salt 
4 1/2  tablespoons cold butter, cut into bits 
2  tablespoons cold vegetable shortening 
Filling
1  large egg, beaten lightly 
1  teaspoon vanilla 
1/4  cup butter, melted and cooled 
1  cup firmly packed brown sugar 
1  tablespoon distilled white vinegar 
1/4  cup raisins (optional) 

Butter Tarts Recipes
< 60 mins Tarts
Canadian Tarts
Make the shells: In a processor, blend the flour, sugar, salt, butter and shortening until mixture resembles meal; transfer to a bowl and add 2-3 tblsps of ice water, or enough to form dough; knead dough briefly on a floured surface and chill it, wrapped plastic wrap, for 1 hour; roll out dough 3/8 inch thick on a floured surface, cut into rounds with a 4 1/2 inch cutter, and fit the rounds into 1/3 cup muffin tins.

Make the filling: In a bowl beat the egg, vanilla and butter until well-combined and stir in brown sugar and vinegar; spoon filling into shells and bake in a preheated 400F (205C) oven for 15 minutes; let cool 5 minutes; carefully remove from tins and let cool completely.(filling will be thin and runny while hot but will firm up as it cools).
Note: Many like raisins in their butter tarts (I don't); if you are one of them, add 1/4 cup raisins to the filling mixture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

all easier to stalk me by   http://www.wists.com/Peariso
Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: November 03, 2006 10:52:54 AM »

Standard fair for Christmas growing up:
Turkey AND Ham
Greenbean Casserole
Yams
Potato Salad (we ate it year round, not baked... just odd)
Stuffing (different kinds, some w/ sausage, some w/o, some totally plain)

In Pittsburgh PA, you can't have Christmas (or any celebration for that matter) without the cookie table. Oh yes, we have a whole table dedicated to just cookies. Thumbprints, butter cookies, mini pecan tarts, peanut butter cookies with the chocolate kiss on top, rolled cookies, powdered sugar covered cookies, almond cookies, mini cheesecakes (made with a nilla wafer on the bottom), all manner of standard variety cookies.....yum

Our family opts for pumpkin pie in leu of pecan, because although pecan pie is mighty tastey... calorie wise you can have three pieces of pumpkin pie to one piece of pecan. Toppings wise.... ready whip in a can for the win!! It comes in standard, and chocolate... and there are even fabled other Christmassy flavors I have heard tell of but have yet to see.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Weekend Summer Makeup Tutorial
3 Minute Summer Makeup Tutorial
Favorite Summer Lipsticks
Favorite Lip Colors and Bronzers for Summer
French Riviera Summer Makeup Tutorial
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...