A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 304,884
Currently Running With Scissors:
438 Guests and 8 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fill an Australian in...Your Christmas baking traditions!  (Read 12555 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissMeshell
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006 09:46:15 PM »

I agree dance, there is definitely a lot of family tradition that comes into play no matter where you are from Smiley

I love shortbread! That is something that we do eat a lot of around xmas in my house Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2006 10:04:44 PM »

I definitely want to try sugar cookies...and eggnog, although the name sort of puts me off Tongue

Yeah, sugar cookies are great.  It's not Christmas for my Dad unless we have frosted sugar cookies with silver dragees. 

Careful with the eggnog though.  Some people love it and some people hate it.  I think it's super gross.  Like really, really, ridiculously thick milk with spices in it. Lips sealed
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMeshell
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2006 10:16:34 PM »

I was going to ask if eggnog had, err, eggs in it Tongue but I thought that would make me look super ridiculous, so I looked it up instead.

I'm scared...but I really want to try it Wink It sounds like it would make me sick!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peppersaskatoon
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2006 11:13:46 PM »

Sugar cookies are especially nice with a dash of almond extract.  My mom makes a batch every year, and the whole family sits down to decorate them with icing and sprinkles.

I also look forward to silk nog (vegan eggnog) every year.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissMeshell
« Reply #14 on: October 27, 2006 12:04:26 AM »

Is there a 'standard' sugar cookies recipe or does it vary?

Vegan eggnog sounds yummo and way less scary, lol, I always drink vegan hot chocolate...mmm Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #15 on: October 27, 2006 02:32:28 AM »

Peppersaskatoon, what is this silk nog you speak of?? Is it Silk brand?? I've never heard of it before, but it sounds like it might be YUMMY!! Grin I've been a lacto vegetarian my whole life, so never had real eggnog, but always thought the idea sounded good (the reality, otoh, eggs mixed with milk, kind of sounded...umm..barfworthy, lol)

MissMeshell, sugar cookies are pretty standard, but there are various recipes floating around, with slight variations. Just pick one, and go from there!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

starlawill
« Reply #16 on: October 27, 2006 04:22:07 AM »

My mother and I do tons of baking and candy making for Christmas.  We do sugar cookies, snickerdoodles, chocolate pretzels, peanut butter cups, peanut brittle, almond bark, peppermint bark, surprise cookies (they are like a shortbread cookie with either a walnut or an M&M inside) and cinnamon bread.  I think most of this stuff is a fmaily tradition that really has nothing to do with being American, all the recipies are my great great grandmother's.

snickerdoodles!! oh i love those! my grandma would make those every year! mmmm....i wonder if there's a weight watchers friendly version.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Saor
Crafting for more years than I care to remember!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2006 05:07:45 AM »

Well in Ireland the main thing baked would be Christmas cake, pudding and mince pies. The only thing I like is mince pies and I do make them some years. I keep meaning to make a Xmas cake but never bother. I worked in a bakery till last week so by time Christmas came I always  had enough of cake and puddings(just from the smell of them)

My MIL makes her own mince meat. She also makes her own Christmas cakes and puddings. She makes Christmas cookies/biscuits in seasonal shapes and gingerbread men.

My Mum used to make her own mince pies but not her own cake or pudding but my granny(my mum's mum) always made her own. My other granny used to make egg nog but that was before my time.

Some people make a big  trifle to have after the big meal. Or bake a few apple  tarts,etc- whatever their speciality would be - to have for visitors.

But I don't think there is the same Christmas cookie/sweet baking tradition here.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2006 05:42:09 AM »

my 2 cents
please keep in mind when you read this when we get together there is a  minimum of 25 people most at once 50..... with kids, grandkids, uncles, aunts, grandparents, friends.
Our best thing is still the day of Christmas  meal...... keep in mind that includes any  "this is the day we celebrate together"  parties (example when all us kids and grand kids gather at my dads is not on Christmas day itself  but we still have the full blown sit down Christmas dinner thing)

we  have what I have come to know of Aussie cookies (biscuits) they are not as soft as ours.  I have an Aussie friend that comes to America and when she does I have to make her the cookies for her stay and some to take home.   the soft sugar cookies and soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies..... mmmmm....   A lot of the baking that is done here before the actual holiday is usual to send as gift baskets for the holiday  or so that when guests stop buy you have something to offer as a snack.  plus as you know its cold here   so the oven heat helps. and  well, it just  smells good too.  Also we as a whole country are more indulgent of treats  (according to my friend)  than Aussies are so yes that plays into it.

now as for our family we make
egg nog (spiked and not)
sugar cookies for decorating with icing
chocolate chip cookies,
applesauce hermits with the orange glaze  (bunch of memory flashbacks there huh)
pecan and pumpkin pies and one cream pie of some flavor.
hot cocoa
peanut butter balls
fudge,
peanut brittle
peppermint candies (lollies)
we always have a veggie/cheese tray  handy for quick snacks.
OH  and  never a get together goes buy with out a cheeseball of  some sort.

for our main meal
We have fried turkey and a glazed ham
mashed potatoes
candied sweet potatoes (with marshmellows on top)
cranberry jelly gunk (very few actually eat this tho)
greenbean casserole
and corn sometimes
big old fat hot buttered yeast rolls light and fluffy melt in you mouth........ sorry I was  dreaming for a  moment!

OH I almost forgot the best part!!!
Christmas morning before presents are opened  mom gets up and makes  a HUGE pot of creamed eggs and we make a bunch of biscuits and we all have this  glutinous  breakfast.......   (but that is more of a family tradition)

Here in my small corner of the world on Christmas morning we get up and have a birthday cake ready to celebrate Jesus' birthday. After all it is what its  about.  and it  helps us teach our kids that its not all about the presents.

OH and the  night before Christmas we always  have hot cocoa and Gram crackers and read the Bible version of the Christmas story to the kids then the  now a days version and let them open one present (which is always the ornament we have bought for that year).
Now with all my memories shared  (about the food anyway), I have to admit I would at  least miss one of these  Christmas to spend my day at the beach instead! LOL

Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006 05:43:42 AM by jloveg » THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
starlawill
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2006 06:00:13 AM »

what are creamed eggs?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Trend Takeout: How to Throw On and Go Your Dress This Summer
Tara Lipinski and Johnny Weir Show Us What Olympians Wear to Work
Back to School Style Tips
Back-to-School Style Inspiration
How to Wear Vintage Designer Finds
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...