A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 297,710
Currently Running With Scissors:
464 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Fill an Australian in...Your Christmas baking traditions!  (Read 12399 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissMeshell
« on: October 26, 2006 03:02:56 AM »

Hey gals and guys Smiley After some very interesting conversation with nix kisses over the past couple weeks we have come to the conclusion that the whole 'Christmas baking' tradition is a lot more prominent in the US than it is here in Australia! Smiley

I'm in Australia, and of course I'm only speaking from personal experience here, but it seems like on Craftster and around the place there is a humungus show of christmas cookies, gingerbread, eggnog, yadda yadda and all that jazz, BEFORE the day. I haven't found this to be the case here, I'm thinking it's because Christmas is in the middle of our summer and it's too hot for lots of oven use. I mean, food on actual Christmas day is a HUGE part of our traditions and being of British heritage myself we have the full on roast dinner with all the trimmings even in 40c heat, lol. But all this baking in the lead-up to Christmas is intruiging to me and I would love to try it! Smiley

ANYHOO, enough of my rambling, what I'd really love to know is...
What kind of things do you bake before christmas?
Have you any favourite recipes for christmas foods/cookies/drinks or other traditional things that you make during December that you would like to share here?

I want to bake up a storm this christmas! and I'll pretend that it's snowing outside at the same time Wink
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006 03:07:06 AM by MissMeshell » THIS ROCKS   Logged
pinkangel1979
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006 08:34:58 AM »

Hey MissMeshell, I'm not from the US but the UK and last year was the first one in my own house with a nice kitchen so I did a bit of baking.  My main thing was mince pies- this recipe on the BBC website is pretty close to how I did mine: http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/database/mymincepies_71055.shtml

This year I'm contemplating making my own Christmas cake and Christmas pudding but haven't decided yet, I'm likely to run out of time!

Looking forward to seeing what others bake for Christmas...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006 12:53:23 PM »

For the past couple years at Christmas, I make goodie baskets for all my older relatives (aunts, uncles, dad and step mom, mom and dad, etc). usually I include:

Chocolate fusge (and variations including peanut butter fudge, white chocolate, etc)
Banana bread, or sometimes pistachio bread
Candied Pecans
Cinnamon roasted almonds
LOADS of caramel corn
Sometimes biscotti, sometimes not. It depends on the person I give the basket to.

I'm at work so I dont have any of the recipes at hand without searching for them, but theyre basic.. Pretty much the three days before Christmas, I bake like a fiend. Last year my car was broken and my boyfriend and step dad were working replacing the engine and I spent literally 24 hours STRAIGHT THROUGH baking because I couldnt do much else.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
mmd32
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006 05:16:57 PM »

Drinks:
Spiced apple cider
Mulled wine
Egg Nog

Cookies:
Gingerbread
pfefferneusse (sp?)
sugar cookies
Brandy snaps

Pies:
Pumpkin pie
pecan pie
Mincemeat pie

Breads:
Erm...can't remember what people make, but there are special Christmas breads people make, brought over from Europe by their families when they first came to America

Other stuff:
Caramel corn
caramel apples
anything peppermint

Umm..can't remember what else. My family never really does this much, except cookies...we always make huge batches of cookies to give to friends and neighbors and relatives. I just listed what I can remember of traditional Christmas goodies people in the US make religiously!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissMeshell
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006 05:27:38 PM »

Yummo Cheesy I think I need to concentrate my efforts on cookies...mmmmm Grin

and fudge sounds really interesting but from what I've seen I think it may be beyond my capabilities, I'll have to talk someone into making it FOR me Tongue
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006 05:29:17 PM by MissMeshell » THIS ROCKS   Logged
mmd32
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006 05:29:32 PM »

Cookies are good...everybody loves cookies!! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hbic
Home Deconomics

A little home ec, a little home dec

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006 05:46:11 PM »

My mother and her friend are already making fudge in preparation for the holidays (waaay to early if you ask me.)! Christmas baking definately starts early and is really meant for sharing and giving as gifts. Lot's of fudge, sugar cookies cut with cute cookie cutters, peanut brittle, pecan pie (my fave) etc. I think I got a plate of sweet goodies from every nieghbor last year! It's a fun family activity for kids and a fun gift to give and share with others. Thank goodness it's only once a year! I just gained 5 pounds thinking about all that fudge!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

hand made home decor
MissMeshell
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006 07:32:21 PM »

I definitely want to try sugar cookies...and eggnog, although the name sort of puts me off Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2006 09:11:56 PM »

Cookies:
Gingerbread
pfefferneusse (sp?)
sugar cookies
Brandy snaps

Well I'm Canadian, but my (German) grandmother always does a ridiculous amount of Christmas cookie baking!

This list is pretty close to hers, but I'll mention it anyway!

She always makes sugar cookies (usually star-shaped!), pfeffernusse (close! --> these are kind of like gingerbread drops with a bit of pepper in them, with a hard white sugary coating! My favourite Christmas treat!), shortbread sticks, and these other cookies that are similar to shortbread but like a cracked circle with a bit of jellied fruit in the middle.... 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

danceisthenewmosh
Photographs may not lie, but liars may photograph

Kissing Toby Goodbye

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2006 09:34:51 PM »

My mother and I do tons of baking and candy making for Christmas.  We do sugar cookies, snickerdoodles, chocolate pretzels, peanut butter cups, peanut brittle, almond bark, peppermint bark, surprise cookies (they are like a shortbread cookie with either a walnut or an M&M inside) and cinnamon bread.  I think most of this stuff is a fmaily tradition that really has nothing to do with being American, all the recipies are my great great grandmother's.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Apologies to whoever were upset by my absent.  I was in and out of the hospital from December 2007 until June 2008.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Look Taller Instantly
Threads | A Look At The Crooks & Castles Fall and Spring Streetwear Lines
5 Ways to Wear a Faux Fur Vest
Style Profile | DIY Twist Tie Dresses For The Fall
The Secret to Finding the Perfect T-Shirt Bra
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...