A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,779
Currently Running With Scissors:
409 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: question with charm bracelets/earing etc. (beading etc.)  (Read 1101 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

morbid
« on: October 26, 2006 02:41:43 AM »

im sorry if this is such a stupid question >.<
when you make bracelets how do you make beads go on them.
i mean i no its wire but do you bend them?

let me find a picture. >.<

thanks for helping me. :/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my wist: http://www.wists.com/asylumchild
will do personal trades. :]
my etsy!: www.Toriscreation.etsy.com
please check it out.. thank you.
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2006 02:58:45 AM »

the charms or beads are attached usually with split rings or jump rings, split rings are little metal rings that you can pry open with plyers, slip your charm on, slip on to your bracelet and then use the plyers to close the ring.

(i hope i got the terms right, im not really a jewelry maker)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
morbid
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2006 03:02:03 AM »

thanks. do you no where i could get those jump rings?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006 03:39:56 AM »

if you are in the u.s. you can get them at walmart, hobbylobby, michaels, anywhere that has a craft section
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
wists
raveneyeannie
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006 05:48:33 AM »

The split rings work GREAT for charms that have a little loop at the top.

If you have beads and a head pin, you can pretend you are making a mini-earring to hang on your bracelet.

Start by stringing the bead, mah-jong tile or whatever on a head pin.
In a pinch, I have even used a straight pin from my sewing box, although they are harder to work with.  At the top of the bead, bend the wire 90 degrees away from you.

Now use the end of some round-nose pliers to make a small loop coming back towards you. 

Use some toe-nail clippers or wire cutters to cut the excess off after you've made your loop.  Now you've made your very own little charm-dangle thingy, ready for an earring or bracelet or whatever.

I am sure there are much better tutorials under jewelry-making on this site, or on the rings-n-things web site or the firemountaingems web site.

Good luck!  And have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MyBadDemonica
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006 06:12:07 AM »

Split rings are the ones that look like mini key rings (basically a small spiral). They can be a little more secure and somewhat easier to use. Or so I've heard  Smiley I use jump rings for most things.
Jump rings are the ones that look like a full circle with a cut in them (does that make sense???)
Instructions on how to open jump rings are at http://www.jewelry-making.com/openingjumprings.html
Sorry-it's the first link I found, and I'm too lazy to write my own instructions!
Good luck  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006 11:37:39 AM »

oops i knew i switched my terms when i was explaining them, i'm not a jewelry maker!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
wists
Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2006 12:15:11 AM »

If you are going to use split rings and you plan on doing several bracelets you may want to get a pair of split ring pliers.  I didnt know about split ring pliers until about 5-6 years ago.  When I found them I wanted to kiss the feet of the person that invented them.  You can apply split rings without split ring pliers but you will cuss a lot less if you do.  Plus they wont go flying all over the room.  If you live in the US almost all craft stores carry them.  The look like long nose pliers with a little hook on one end.  I think JoAnn's has their tools on sale either this week or next for 30% off and Hobby Lobby either has them on sale now or had them on sale last week.

Dont ever feel silly or stupid asking questions.  Everyone has to start somewhere and those of us that have the beading addiction will tell you its a fun addiction to have.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
morbid
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2006 01:56:25 AM »

so the split rings are the long things too put beads on? im confused with the names.. i just no they have flat bottoms so the beads dont fall off but do you then bend the cirlce at the top with pliers?

if someone mentioned it already sorry im just lost. one minute i thought someone was talking about that.. then i think they were talking about the circle *wire?* things.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sophisticated Hippie
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2006 02:19:29 AM »

The flat bottom things are headpins.  The things that look like tiny keyrings are split rings.  The plain rings with a cut in the center are jumprings.

The link below is to Firemountain Gems.  They are one of the largest online suppliers for jewelry supplies.  They have great pictures, educational links and free project ideas.  This specific link is to their findings page.  Findings are basically everything other than beads.  Its a bit simplified but I dont want to confuse you with too much information in the beginning.

http://www.firemountaingems.com/findings.asp

Even if you dont live in the US, the FMG (Firemountain Gems) site is still a great resource for education and ideas.

Hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results. ~Benjamin Franklin
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Chinese Pork Ribs
How to Make Leftover-Turkey Spring Rolls
How to Buy a Chinese Steamer
How to Make a Chilli and Salt Squid With Cucumber Salad
How To Make Asian Beef Lettuce Wraps
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...