A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 301,506
Currently Running With Scissors:
395 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: earring reconstruction for sad daughter  (Read 2051 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PrincessKae
if the crown fits....wear it.

Kreatively Khaotic.....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2006 08:28:44 AM »

I have the same problem as your daughter and want I usually do when I wear cheaper earrings is put neosporin on the post and it makes it wear I can wear them for a little while. the longest I've had some in like that was about 6 or 7 hours because of school, I didnt want to lose them in my purse. I'd defantly go the route of putting new post on but this might help till then.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2006 09:55:00 AM »

Just a thought -- if your daughter is sensitive to metal, she may be sensitive to glue, too.

You gotta love a kid who won't give up on accessories, even if they hurt!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
bigeyes
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2006 10:02:22 AM »

we had the same problem, AND our daughter has really thick earlobes.  We spent 1500 bucks getting her some specially made out of platinum with 3/4 inch posts, but they're too heavy for her ears.  So, we went to a piercing shop and got the small loops in titanium.  She can get many different colors, and I think we will be able to find a way to put some kind of ring on the cheaper earrings so we can dangle them off the loops.  If we can find a ring just big enough to go around the loop without slipping over the little ball you screw onto the end....

good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
SherNWT
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2006 10:20:49 AM »

OK so I have that problem.  So What I did was buy plain good gold sleepers.  Then if I have danglies on fish hooks I want to use I just remove the hook open my sleeper and slip on the dangly part.  I think for me part of the problem is removing the earing then putting it back on.  I poke myself 5,0000 times. 

Sher
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #14 on: November 06, 2006 10:27:53 AM »

I replace all fishhook-style earrings with niobium hooks. They are very good for people with metal sensitivities. Some people who can't wear good quality gold and silver can wear niobium with no problem. So if gold and silver still make her itch, try that. You can buy them on firemountain. The drawback is that they aren't shiny like gold or silver.

To recon stud earrings, you could break off the shafts and glue the studs to flat shank buttons. They wouldn't be all that useful for clothing, but you could decorate a handbag with them the way the Tinafish Hobo is decorated.

You could make a mobile with the danglies. Hang it near a window to catch the light.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lol-lol
www.osier.com.au

i love my rabbit, sam. and he loves me.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2006 05:15:51 AM »

my ears go all yuck with cheapy earrings too.

i just paint the hooks with clear nail polish, and theyre fine.

cheap, easy, and no deconstruction required.

you probably have clear nail polish in the house right now, really.

xo
« Last Edit: November 16, 2006 06:06:39 AM by lol-lol » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i love personal swaps :: www.osier.com.au
bigeyes
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2006 02:42:55 PM »

what are sleepers?

and where do you get niobium hooks?

Cool
THIS ROCKS   Logged

if you can't lie no better than that......you might as well tell the truth.
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2006 02:55:47 PM »

what are sleepers?

and where do you get niobium hooks?

Cool

firemountain has them. I get the gunmetal-gray ones, and they aren't too noticeable even with shinier metals. You can get them in pretty colors, just not shiny gold and silver. When my ears got more sensitive (they all of a sudden got a lot more sensitive to metal after I started beading and started wearing earrings every day) I bought about 100 of the hooks and did firemountain's discount for large batches thing. They are pretty cheap, and the loop portion is malleable, so you can open it with pliers and switch out pretty much any kind of drop earring.

Plus, since the last time I shopped there, it looks like firemountain has started carrying pins and rings and wire in matching niobium, so you can make entire earrings that match. "anodized" means the metal is treated to have those bright colors by a process that is beyond my ken, but it's not a coating so it won't flake off or be a source of irritation for my ears.

What I did when I decided that niobium might be the answer to my problems, is I went to a local bead store that stocked individual sets of niobium hooks and gave them a test-run. Zero reaction, so I bought a bunch from firemountain for cheap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

anastrophe
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2006 07:16:06 AM »

got here a little late, but I wanted to add a warning that, depending on how severe her allergies are, silver may still cause a reaction because they sometimes use nickel when they make sterling silver. same with stainless steel. someone mentioned niobium, that's good, as is titanium (but expensive). and there's always gold.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Perfect Creamy Mashed Potatoes
How To Make Gumbo Slinger, A Perfect Fall Comfort Dish
This Maple Butter Will Seriously Upgrade Your Bread Basket
A Thanksgiving Fake-Out with a Kale Twist
A No-Cook Cranberry Relish?!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects
January 21st is Squirrel Appreciation Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...