A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 301,544
Currently Running With Scissors:
370 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: spin with suffolk wool/fleece?  (Read 4250 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

bananasplit
« on: October 25, 2006 05:16:06 PM »

Has anyone ever spun Suffolk wool?  A neighbor has offered me some that's fairly clean, but who doesn't think it can be spun.  Suggestions?  Thanks, Jill
THIS ROCKS   Logged

misshawklet

spin spin spin!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006 08:34:57 PM »

I've spun Suffolk but didn't really like it.  It can be spun, but I found it hard to work with.  It might be b/c this was when I first started spinning, however.  If I remember correctly it was quite short stapled.  But alas, anything can be spun!  You could always blend it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:dollface:.
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010 01:44:48 PM »

i also have the opportunity to get some cheap suffolk.  I know it's a meat breed, so you can't expect much from the fleece, but it can't be THAT terribly rough, could it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
WMA
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010 06:31:18 PM »

I've spun with Suffolk...it was the first fiber I ever tried spinning. I got the fiber as raw fleece..very dirty and full of VM..but I picked and washed and combed (with Dollar Store plastic combs) and got it ready for spinning on my CD spindle. It was quite springy and once spun I don't think it was horribly rough...some of it was actually fairly soft. I probably wouldn't use it for projects that would be against sensitive skin but it would be good for socks, outerwear or purses, pouches, rugs (I can just see a gorgeous rug woven from handspun Suffolk...I need to learn to weave, lol) etc. Also, it's good for needle felting...it's not all fuzzy and halo-y (new word, lol) so it makes a fairly smooth finish when needle felted. I know that a lot of spinners tend to poo-poo Suffolk and some of the other meat sheep wool but I liked working with it and enjoy its springiness (is that a word?). It would also be very good to use as batting or stuffing if you make dolls or amigurumi, etc. Its staple is around 2-4 inches usually, I think, and it's quite fine. Although if you were to stretch it out it would probably come close to doubling its length...that's how springy it is. I've seen it listed often as a  'down' wool. Here are a couple links I found that mention Suffolk:
http://independentstitch.typepad.com/the_independent_stitch/2009/05/fill-fill-fill-fill-fill-fill-fill.html
http://www.joyofhandspinning.com/wool.shtml

These are a couple of the yarns I have spun using Suffolk.
This one is my first yarn ever and very overspun (when I dyed it with Kool-aid after spinning the dye could barely penetrate past the outer surface, lol). It's 100% Suffolk.

This yarn is a blend...the dyed bits are Suffolk, the white is a 50/50 blend of Suffolk and some white mill-end roving from Sheep Shed Studio. The only problem I had with this one was the white blend...the two wools I used were so different from each other. The Suffolk was really springy and the SSS wool was long and smooth so I had a hard time getting them blended (I was also new to carding so that may also be a factor). It turned out quite soft though.

This is 100% Suffolk with yarn scraps carded in (Yay for drum carders!). Again, I probably wouldn't use this one for a project that would be worn on sensitive skin but it's not so rough that I would call it unusable. I think Suffolk is a completely valid wool for spinning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:dollface:.
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2010 07:17:50 PM »

Thank you WMA. Your post was really helpful! your yarns are great! I agree that meat sheep shouldn't be disqualified from the spinning category Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pintrest
Wist

I do personal swaps!
mullerslanefarm
www.mullerslanefarm.com

Fiber Enabler

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2010 04:36:14 PM »

Suffolks (and any of the down fleeces) are absolutely wonderful when spun woolen and used for socks or mittens.  They have a harder time shrinking when objects knitted from this yarn are fulled (felted).  And it's also long wearing

Perfect for socks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cyndi

http://www.mullerslanefarm.com
Our Lessons in Homesteading
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Sesame Orange Shrimp Recipe
Skirt Steak and Peanut Stir Fry Recipe
Asian Bite: Thai Beef Salad
Vegetable and Tofu Pad Thai Recipe
Asian Bites: Slow-Roast Asian Pork Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Jerky
@Home This Weekend: Mirror Wall
January 21, 2015 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...