A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 298,779
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Crazy English Teacher having baby . . . Blanket taken, Dammit. Please Help!  (Read 3088 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jhlock
« on: September 10, 2004 10:48:21 PM »

My former English teacher is having a baby.  Any suggestions on what to make her/the baby?  Her scip student already took the blanket idea, so now I'm lost.  I'd like to make something lit themed - anything significant in Western Literature from the Odyssey to All Quiet on the Western Front.  She's into Derrida, but I don't actually understand postmodernism and don't think that it makes for very good baby toys.  Milton?  Song of Roland action figures?  Other ideas, please!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
c_zimmerman724
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004 11:38:08 PM »

Maybe booties and a stocking cap. Or engrave some silverware. Or maybe make some picture frames............
THIS ROCKS   Logged
scandibird
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2004 12:14:43 AM »

How about buying a plain 'baby grow' (the little snap-bottom suits) and stencilling/iron-on transfer/embroidering an appropriate quote or image on it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ph33lth3lov3

*when in doubt go duct*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2004 06:51:37 PM »

how about a messenger bag disguised as a baby bag? (or the other way around) you could include a book pocket.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

let me see your gila
http://www.gilabuttons.com -your one stop button shop
bookwormbry

Dressing the world, one dog at a time

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004 08:45:17 PM »

There was a Thoreau stencil on here, wasn't there? How about a baby bag stenciled with that? Or a onesie stenciled with that?

I'd make a baby book bag, complete with some classics... Dr. Seuss, Curious George, etc. And you can get those Crayola colored pencils that are chubby, and pick out the yellow and black ones - voila, baby annotating set! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MtyAphrdti
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2004 09:27:25 PM »

how about making a stuffed bookworm!  or embroidering it on something.....maybe a nice copy of grimm's fairy tales and make a "baby's first bookmark"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
littleone1098

Let them eat cake she said

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2004 10:23:09 PM »

I dunno about something themed, but you could make her a poncho type thing to slip over her head while breastfeeding...I think there is a thread somewhere on here about a knitted paris loop  or something of that sort..
« Last Edit: September 12, 2004 10:25:45 PM by littleone1098 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Every morning when I wake up I experince an exquisite joythe joy of being Salvador Daland I ask myself in rapture, What wonderful things this Salvador Dal is going to accomplish today?" -The one and only
dalaimama

In the spring the grass grows all by itself.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2004 10:17:59 PM »

How about a photo album?  She'll have tons of pictures of the new baby.  Maybe you could make the cover (or recover one) into a literary theme, or maybe childrens lit theme?  Think about books like Goodnight Moon, Peter Rabbit, Dr. Seuss, nursery rhymes, fairy tales, etc. It's so nice of you to do something for her, I'm sure she'll appreciate anything you do! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Come Visit My Online Shop! Bella Dia Designs
booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2004 10:29:56 AM »

jhlock - I am really racking my brain for a Derrida idea for you.  I'm a fan myself, although I prefer Foucault, hmmmmm.  So deconstruction and language..........itis really hard to come up with cute baby ideas that relate to this.  And a tee that says my mommy is a deconstructionist is just not going to work. 

Boo
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2004 11:09:10 AM »

You could try printing the text of a favorite book on fabric (or iron on transfer, whatever) and make that into a diaper bag/play mat/ baby outfit / whatever.

You could put together an ABC book using authors and quotes and maybe pictures of the authors for the letters - D is for Derrida, etc.  (Not super useful for actually learning to read, but she'd probably find it amusing).
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Understand The Sync Menu - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Understand Transitions - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Use a Traveling Luma Matte - Final Cut Pro 6
How to Use Cameras in Motion 3 Part 1/3
How to Use Cameras in Motion 3 Part 2/3
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...