A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,025
Currently Running With Scissors:
473 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My brother's a music geek/ computer game designer? Any ideas?  (Read 1003 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

rakechan
little Picture drawer person

View Profile WWW
« on: October 25, 2006 02:30:43 PM »

Well... I've tried figuring it out, and it's just no use- I've found the person impossible to craft for! He's going to be... er... 22 (Oh my good gravy! I can't believe my wee bro's 22 already! O_O...ahem...) aaaaand he's into:
Computers (He's studying to be a game designer, but not really into retro-y stuff, just the new fangled 3d nonsense I think)
Japanese culture
matrixy actiony sci fi-y films
garfield (??)
Cars (but he doesn't drive, oddly... just likes the idea of driving VERY fast)
drawing (manga stuff, I think... we never see anything he draws, and it's probably a good thing, thinking 22year old girlfriendless male into manga... hmmm...)
and... MUSIC! He loves metal music, Jpop, the kinda 'guitar legends' types, Madness and the specials...
and he plays guitar.
oh, and he has typical metaller long hair and a goatie (oh my good gravy, my little bro has a goaty!)

he's one of these people who likes what he likes and screw anybody if they give him a hard time about it. Nice really, he's a bit like me! ^_^
Anyhoos, I've had a good long thinj- I think Im going to make him a sketchbook out of an old vinyl record, but otherwise I'm a bit stuck. I can generally turn my hand to most things... apart from knitting (Haven't quite got the time to learn to knit before 23rd Nov methinks) I illustrate for a living, but he has loads of my prints and stuff as it is... I normally end out getting him guitary stuff (guitar case, strap, etc...) so any fresh ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry for the super long message! -_- I waffle too much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jnaos

"Creative clutter is better than idle neatness."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006 02:46:18 PM »

On someone's wists I found a funny shirt that says, "Not even Norton can protect you."  Just a thought.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tamagotchi
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006 03:10:19 PM »

I'd poke around geeky websites to get ideas.  Try looking up Megatokyo (a manga-style comic about computer nerds) or go to the ThinkGeek (http://www.thinkgeek.com/) website or maybe JBox (http://www.jbox.com/) and see what kinds of things they have.  At the very least you could get an idea for what kinds of things he might be into.

Here's an idea: since you're an illustrator, you could design a set of tshirts for him with nerdy sayings and drawings.  You know, like "prepare to be pwn3d" or something, with a military-style manga girl.  Ok, I just kind of made that one up, but it's not a bad idea!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ravelry username = tamagotchi
rakechan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006 03:45:13 PM »

Smiley Ta fer the ideas... I know he's got a MegaTokyo tee, so something in that vein might be good... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Enyo Enamor
Psy-Gen[tric]

Falling into the sky, I must not give up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006 01:06:47 AM »

If you can do origami (or just paper crafts) a 3d paper version of his favorite manga/anime/video game character would be kinda cool (I want the Princess Zelda one I see all over).
If he says something all the time, save him the trouble of speaking by making a shirt or bracelit (like those stretchy cotton ones people wear) with the saying on it.

How about making an oversized Guitar Pick with a drawing on it?

If he has a computer . . . I saw this cool project where a guy cut out a piece of the side of his computer; took a clear piece of plastic (can't remember what kind), made a cel of his favorite character, glued it onto the piece of plastic and glued the plastic to the inside of the case. If your brother is a computer geek, he should be able to put a light inside the case so you can see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v294/enyo-san/hidesig2.jpg
matsumoto hideto (hide)
Guitarists, Singer, Rock God, Pervert, and Icon.
December 13, 1964 - May 2, 1998
Good Bye Pink Spider, may you remain Ever Free.
rakechan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006 03:17:25 PM »

I love the guitar pick idea! ^_^ sadly his computer is his pride and joy, and I think he loves it as it is, so I'd better not even think about him cutting it open, sadly... nice idea though! Thanks! Cheesy Everyone's so helpful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rakechan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006 02:57:49 AM »

Mwahahaha! Found the best thing- it's a white flying V ukelele! I'm going to buy it and paint something on it! Just saw it and wanted it myself, but once I'm finished with it it's gonna look soooooo metal! Just thought I'd say ta for all the ideas! They're being saved for Christmas now! (damn him, having birthday and Christmas just 4 weeks apart!!!)

^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talmina
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006 04:37:07 AM »

If he's a linux user and you're a knitter, knit him the linux illusion scarf, its all 3d hidden geekyness, thought timeconsuming.

Also, GAH! about fussy geeky guys, I seem to keep attracting them, either as friends or as more.  Also try and get some jpop/jrock tabs for him, especially soundtracks for tracks from his fave anime's and put them together in a folder covered with pics of cute anime chicks.  Or get his measurements, and make him a costume for a male character from an anime he likes, or if he is that way inclined for a laugh and with that hair, a female anime character he likes  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006 08:20:59 PM »

I just want to add buy him a Marty Friedman cd. Scenes is one of the best, Dragon's kiss second.

Friedman used to be THE guitarist in Megadeth, and last I heard left to live in Tokyo and was in a Japaneese pop band Huh

The guitar work is amazing. He's classically trained as well, so he's not just a speed metal god Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.rattleheadgames.com') - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
rakechan

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2006 01:56:25 AM »

Cheers for the tip! that'd go down v. well with bro as he's recently been getting into classical guitar (tehehe- my influence! ^_^)

Alas, although the scarf's a top idea I'm not a v. good knitter (learning to knit by knitting my pa a Dr. Who style scarf for Christmas!) but I'll keep that one in mind for future reference!

I know he already has some odd costume thingy for a final fantasy character or something. It was quite scary, actually- I only discovered that from visiting his Myspace page...  O_Othe tab's a good idea though! I might put him together a book of Ukelele tab to go with his new instrument! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Dress Your Baby Like Prince George
Fashion Fit for a Royal Baby
Children Play in Style at Kids Fashion Week
Christina Applegate and FabKids Fashion
Fun in the Tub With Lush Soaps
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...