A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 296,736
Currently Running With Scissors:
641 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Mittens, fast and easy :D w. kind of a tute  (Read 1568 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern , mittens  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

beautyproof
« on: October 25, 2006 01:54:19 AM »

I made myself a pair of mittons, who would've thought it would be so easy!

This was kind of a trial and error type of thing, I made one mitten that looked bad, and then made the next two by not doing the same mistakes again... I used a #7 hook, chain stichet 28 and made a circle. Then, single crochet around and around for the wrist, increased with abt 6 when I reached the hand. When I came to the thumb, I chain stitched 5 and skipped 5 'loops' on the hand part before I  fastened it again and continued until the mitten was long enough. Deacreased by skipping every other 'loop', did one round, decreased again and tied it all together. For the thumb part, I crocheted around the hole that was left there, untill it was long enough, decreased by skipping every other 'loop' and tied it all together. So easy! And the result was great!

They match my purse, which matches my winter coat! Yay!

Thanks for looking, all comments welcome:D
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006 10:23:29 AM by beautyproof » THIS ROCKS   Logged
shooting star
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2006 02:43:25 AM »

Nice looking pair of mitts!

I never thought it would be so easy to crochet a pair, though I guess I never sat down and thought about it because I instantly put the idea of crocheting mitts to the side as I thought that they would be too difficult!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Swap Shop

wists

My crafting blog

I'm looking for cable afghan (tunisian) crochet hooks. Personal swap anyone?
Amphigorey
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006 08:36:54 AM »

Wow, that's exactly what i've been to scared/lazy to try. I just finished some fingerless gloves, but I'm definately going to try this...thanks for the inspiration.   Grin

I am curious though if they are easy to get on and off.  I started to make a wristwarmer/glove by crocheting in the round, but it was very tight and I had some trouble getting my hand through the wrist part.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006 10:52:18 AM »

A lot of patterns I've seen online has the hand part done seperate from the wrist, and the wrist part done in the back loop to mimic the ribbing that knitted mitts have. Sure it looks a bit differnet, but it works great.

Look around on here for "Rose mist" wrist warmer or fingerless glove. It's a great and easy pattern ( I made a pair for grandma for christmas) and it's plenty stretchy.

*Sorry about the threadjack!*

Beautyproof, your mittens look great, and the purse is so cute! I love the lining fabric, and mine never looks that good Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames .com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
beautyproof
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2006 11:48:00 AM »

Nice looking pair of mitts!

I never thought it would be so easy to crochet a pair, though I guess I never sat down and thought about it because I instantly put the idea of crocheting mitts to the side as I thought that they would be too difficult!

Thank you Cheesy

That's exactly what I thought too...I thought knitting or crocheting mitts would be waaay too complicated, but I happened to look at a recipe, and after not managing it, I made up my own!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beautyproof
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2006 11:54:16 AM »

Wow, that's exactly what i've been to scared/lazy to try. I just finished some fingerless gloves, but I'm definately going to try this...thanks for the inspiration.   Grin

I am curious though if they are easy to get on and off.  I started to make a wristwarmer/glove by crocheting in the round, but it was very tight and I had some trouble getting my hand through the wrist part.

Wow, I'm too scared/lazy to try making fingerless gloves! Hehe. Glad to inspire, if you end up making something, post a pic!!! Cheesy

I fitted the mitts to my wrists, the first one I made was too tight, so I just made it bigger. It hasn't been cold enought to actually use them yet, but just trying them on, they fit well and are easy to take on and off.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beautyproof
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2006 11:59:07 AM »

A lot of patterns I've seen online has the hand part done seperate from the wrist, and the wrist part done in the back loop to mimic the ribbing that knitted mitts have. Sure it looks a bit differnet, but it works great.

Look around on here for "Rose mist" wrist warmer or fingerless glove. It's a great and easy pattern ( I made a pair for grandma for christmas) and it's plenty stretchy.

*Sorry about the threadjack!*

Beautyproof, your mittens look great, and the purse is so cute! I love the lining fabric, and mine never looks that good Sad

Thanks, I always keep looking in my purse, just to flash the nice lining, hehehe Cheesy 

Maybe knitting the wrist part in ribbing and then crocheting the rest would look good too...I'm gonna search for that pattern!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Jeffery Deaver Talks About His James Bond Novel "Carte Blanche"
CHI Marathon Author on the Best Way to Recover from Running a Marathon
Stephen Hunter on the Assassination of JFK
Stephen Hunter on His Investigative Novel, The Third Bullet
Richard Ford On His New Book Canada
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...