A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 301,505
Currently Running With Scissors:
406 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ugh  (Read 1386 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xxyourmomxx
ugh
« on: October 24, 2006 09:57:06 PM »

alright, so i'm making a baby quilt for a friend of mine.. and i figured "hey, i'll just use invisble thread, becase it'll look better"
well, i'm on the verge of throwing my sewing machine out the window!
has anyone had any problems with havintg to rethread the maching every minute because the thread keeps breaking?
that's the problem i'm having.. it took me 30+ minutes to sew one line!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
minivillage
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006 10:48:39 PM »

alright, so i'm making a baby quilt for a friend of mine.. and i figured "hey, i'll just use invisble thread, becase it'll look better"
well, i'm on the verge of throwing my sewing machine out the window!
has anyone had any problems with havintg to rethread the maching every minute because the thread keeps breaking?
that's the problem i'm having.. it took me 30+ minutes to sew one line!

Gee I cant help much. I think I tried that stuff years and years ago and I know I have never tried it again. too weird.
I do have a tip about something else for you gals if you dont know.  When sewing with peridot..........thats that knit type fabric that is covered with tiny sequins?  I was pulling my hair out too.  it looked awful and the stitches were far apart and tangled  and the needle kept breaking then I heard of something called Sewers Aid
it comes in a little bottle like Fray Check .  I just put that on the needle every now and then and I get good stitches and the thread doesnt break. it is wonderful!!  you really cant sew peri dot without it.  So it would help anytime you are sewing sequins etc.
I dontknow if it would help with the invisible thread. I dont like that stuff either.  I always take a swatch to the fabric store and just buy a spool of thread that matches.  if you take the  end of the thread undone from the spool and lay it on your fabric  that is how you get the best match.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
maydela
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2006 09:17:08 AM »

Try getting a needle with a bigger eye.  That might help.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xxyourmomxx
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2006 11:56:19 AM »

Try getting a needle with a bigger eye.  That might help.

thanks! i'll try that
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djonesgirl
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006 03:01:55 PM »

try changing the tension.  I sew with the monofilament thread all the time and don't have any problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gwynevere
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006 07:15:05 PM »

I've never tried actually sewing with the invisible thread stuff, but I can't stand the stuff anyway. I had a comforter that had stitching done on it with the stuff once, and it broke and then created big loops- you know, like when stitches only come undone on one side because the thread broke and doesn't hold them in the fabric anymore? (that was totally confusing, but bear with me...)

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I'm not sure that I would advise using it for a blanket that you'll give to a baby, because that stuff is like fishing line, and when it breaks (as it most likely will), it could be a choking hazard, you know?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ofuzzball
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006 08:05:50 PM »

What kind of thread is in your bobbin?  Working with filament can be really frustrating!!!

I would suggest you go to a quilt store and get some good cotton thread.  What color is the quilt?  What color is the back?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Finished is better than perfect.
dee521

bear paws make me happy

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2006 11:19:49 AM »

i use invisible nylon a lot and don't have much trouble, other than needing about 16 lights on the machine so i can see the dumb stuff. try upping your tension before giving up....
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Speed Quarters
How to Play Quarters
How to Play Thumper
How to Move Original Music to MySpace
How to Play Paintball Like Rambo
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decorative Bulletin Board
Rain, rain, you don't have to go away...
Tute Tuesday: Latch Hooked Rag Rug

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...