A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 316,614
Currently Running With Scissors:
277 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Are people pricing right on Etsy?  (Read 10503 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

jMi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2006 12:46:51 PM »

$125?? Was it soldered with real gold and diamond encrusted?? lol
I've sold all of my pendants for $8! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
HSG
Tutorial Contributor

Oy Vey!

He says I color his world

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2006 02:10:49 PM »

ROFL! The really odd thing is that there was nothing special about it. Not enough to warrant the $125.00 tag.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

B'H
Proud Army Mom, Hoaah!!!
Help Fight Breast Cancer
nico-tiro

Its Your Life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2006 04:39:27 PM »

my gosh 125 for a slide sounds mad.

i raised my prices! and listed some stuff i have in actual shops so they are more expensive.

and i sold one of them higher priced items today. felt awsome.

im keepin' it up!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

diosaperdida
« Reply #33 on: November 22, 2006 04:54:44 PM »

I honestly believe one of the big problems with etsy, is that the main viewers are other crafters. Those that know about etsy...are pretty darn handy themselves.
And in spite of all that is said about handmade merchandise making a comeback, when non-crafters think shopping...they still think big department stores.
And if they do think to look for handmade..they have a very distorted idea of what it takes in time and effort...and cost to produce handmade.
THAT fact was driven home to me when someone asked me how many handknit socks I could crank out in a day!

I think we need to start an international movment to educate people on the joys of buying handmade...start a "get to know handmade" task force...that is, if it isn't being done already. And if it has we all need to join in.

I'm getting carried away in my answer...

to get back on track...your items are gorgeous. To drive the point home even more..if your bags were on a site like http://www.anthropologie.com (anthropologie .com), they would be 150 dollars.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
tiph_thompson

Can't. Stop. Making. Things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #34 on: November 22, 2006 09:29:32 PM »

I've seen lots of people say things about it being a problem that Etsy shoppers are mostly handy diy-ers, and in some ways it makes sense.  But I also think that it's that fact that actually counteracts the problem of distorted price expectations.  People who make things, or know other people who make things, know the value of hand-made things, and know the effort that goes into them.  I sew, but I can't crochet or work wood, and I buy things from other people on the site that I don't make myself, and my crafty friends are good customers, too.  I've stopped thinking of sales to other crafters as kind of cheat sales (somehow less valid than 'outsider' sales to people who don't craft). I like to think eventually more and more people will make things by hand, and buy the things they need from others who do the same.   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine brings all the boys to the yard.

You'll find the fruits of my labor here:
www.odkins.etsy.com

Great vintage fabrics, books, supplies:
www.TheHaps.etsy.com
oktak
« Reply #35 on: November 23, 2006 07:10:54 AM »

I couldn't check this site for a long time, and today read all the posts.
Thanks all for your comments. (& compliments!>diosaperdida)

Re your last post, Tiph, I do think that crafter customers can be both supportive as well as tough on other crafters who sell their goods. While we purchase crafts that we clearly can't make ourselves, we would not buy something that we "think" we can make. ("Thinking" we can make them does not necessarily mean we actually can, though!) And crafters know the cost of the materials.

Last weekend, a friend introduced me to the owner of a hip boutique in Manhattan. I looked at the accessories that they were selling, and almost fainted when I saw the $120 price tag on handmade ribbon belts almost exactly the same as the ones I made a while ago. Although the material cost was quite expensive (European embroidered ribbons are generally pricey), it took me maybe 30 minutes from start to finish. Assuming that the wholesale price was around $50, the creator probably made enough profit to cover the cost and her own labor, but I was thinking that the same product would never sell on Etsy for $50 ...  The setting (cool interior! great staff!) probably made the belts look they were worth $120, but I would never buy them myself for that price, precisely because I am a crafter, know what the materials cost, know how long it takes to make, and can make them myself!

While I think it's nice that there is a place I can purchase cool handmade goods at low prices (as a customer! Smiley), I do think that by underpricing our own creations, we are not doing ourselves or other crafters any good. Definitely no need to overprice, but I do wish other crafters valued their own skills and time more on Etsy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tomatedepingles
Recycled jewelry?

How eco-chic!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #36 on: November 23, 2006 07:14:28 AM »

so... i just wanted to add that i raised all of my prices by 2$ Wink
to cover shipping...
i've been loosing money on shpping since day one, and decided i couldnt afford it anymore, now that my sales are picking up Smiley
i've also listed 5 new items in my new "price range" and was wondering if anyone would like to comment on them (the are all in the "new items" section of my shop)
thanks!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jMi

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: November 23, 2006 07:37:21 AM »

tomatedepingles - See that idea works! You're not charging $15 on a $16 item! Wink I would totally buy something from you like that because a) your shipping isn't outrageous, it's actually ver affordable and b) I have no idea that you tacked on a few extra bucks to cover your shipping expenses.

People who actually need shipping money for mailing out heavy items I can completely understand. I, however, mail out purses all the time and I know that it doesn't cost $10+ to mail one purse (domestically).
Part of me wants to buy a bag from one of these people just to see what exactly we're paying for with these shipping costs. Are they packing this tote in peanuts and a box? If so, that's pretty ridiculous too because it's really a waste of the customer's money. A totebag is easy shipped in an oversized bubble envelope. Heck, sometimes I even put EXTRA bubble wrap and presents in the envelope and my costs are still under $5!

And don't even get me started on button shipping that costs more than the button itself!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://lifeadored.blogspot.com/
Getting back into crafting! Follow along with me on my blog and see what I come up with! Smiley
nico-tiro

Its Your Life!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2006 02:02:30 AM »

non-crafters think shopping...they still think big department stores.
And if they do think to look for handmade..they have a very distorted idea of what it takes in time and effort...and cost to produce handmade.
THAT fact was driven home to me when someone asked me how many handknit socks I could crank out in a day!
oh. my. god. for reals like as in 'how many socks can you knit in a day?' straight faced?

were those my bags on anthropolgie for 150? Cheesy that'd be awsome !

so... i just wanted to add that i raised all of my prices by 2$ Wink
to cover shipping...

you go girl. ! its still affordable!

is it me or have sellers in general been raising their prices on etsy?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

diosaperdida
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2006 04:25:31 AM »

Indeed....straight faced...and when I was telling my sister the story, she didnt get it. She asks .."Well..how many?" And she was serious.
She was shocked that socks were fairly complicated as far as their construction and execution, compared to something like an afghan.
I ofcourse have no answer as to how long it REALY takes me to knit a sock..I estimate about 8 hours, IF ...I didn't feel the need to frog the heel 7 times before proceeding.

My sis redeemed herself in saying I could sell my scarves for "a bunch of money."
I assured her, that I probably couldn't make up my time, effort, and cost by selling them....not even paying myself only minumum wage.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.diosaperdida.net  - My website
http://knittingbare.blogspot.com/ painting, knitting, whatever...it's all art
http://painting.craftgossip.com/  decorative painting techniques, projects and product info.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Pretty Planters
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...