A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,522
Currently Running With Scissors:
506 Guests and 22 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My first sewing projects - needle roll and cosmetic bag  (Read 1601 times)
Tags for this thread: gifts_for_knitters  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pansophia
food.craft.life.

Never have too much blood in the coffee stream

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 24, 2006 12:32:58 PM »

So I finally took a sewing class.  I'd been feeling handicapped for being unable to hem curtains, make pillowcases, etc.  No longer will I be limited by what they have in the store...no!  If I can't buy the curtains of my dreams, I shall make them!

I shall never go curtainless again!!

Okay, got the Scarlett out of my system there.

Here are my first two sewing projects.  One is a knitting roll that I made in my sewing class.  Being a roll, I decided it should be a sushi roll!

http://www.pansophy.net/domestic/images/sushiroll3.jpg

http://www.pansophy.net/domestic/images/sushiroll.jpg

This is my first project all by myself, and I tried to do a cosmetic bag I saw in a sewing magazine.  It came out *okay* but I used 12 gauge clear vinyl for the lining and really struggled with it.  Plus the brocade fabric was shedding worse than my golden retriever.  Squaring the corners kind of sucked too.  But hey, it's a start!

http://www.pansophy.net/domestic/images/IMG_0234.jpg

As a kid, I totally rebelled againsty anything crafty or "girly" so I'm making up for a lot of lost time!

Thanks for looking. Smiley

-Kate
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011 03:05:59 PM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The pleasure of finishing a project made with my own two hands and creativity.  It's what keeps me sane in an otherwise crazy world.  That and the Prozac.
carolinelb
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2006 08:05:23 PM »

Your first sewing projects both look great!  I especially like your brocade bag.  Vinyl is always hard to work with, even for an experienced seamstress.  I think you were brave to go ahead and make what you wanted without being afraid it was too hard!

isn't it great to be able to hem curtains?! and do all those other things that are so easy, really, once you have the basics figured out?   I really get how frustrating it would be not to be able to make what you want. and how expensive it can be, too!

Nice work!

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Yarnia
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2006 08:17:47 PM »

I lust for that Sushi fabric. I need an Amy Butler Weekender out of Sushi! Where did you get it?

Fantastic needle roll, and congrats on the class! I know when I figured it out I felt so empowered! I'm not a slave to Target! WOOHOO! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.chroniclesofyarnia.com

http://www.beadsandpurls.com
Hand-dyed yarn, Hand-spun yarn, Hand-dyed roving, and Custom knit and patterns! We'll be ready to go mid-Feb!
owl be there
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2006 04:41:17 PM »

HOLY POOP im not even kidding my aunt bought me a makeup bag thing for my birthday and it came with a little..pouch thing like teh red one you made...anyawy it almost EXACTLY the same fabric! but the flowers are a little bigger and black instead of silvery .i use it as a camera case since i dont have one.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2006 04:43:23 PM by mr.bean » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2006 06:21:50 PM »

They both look great, and you chose lovely fabrics.

Check out the zippered pouch tutorial on crafster its great and makes the little bags easy to make.  Grin

I use a teflon foot when i sew vinyl, its the only way. otherwise you can  put magic tape (in supermarkets, thicker than regular tape and can reapply) on the underside of your regular sewing foot, cut out the hole of course for the needle. The teflon foot isnt that expensive and its handy to make those vinyl covered bags or the leather looking vinyl bags and wallets.

great work, hope to see more of what you make.  Smiley

check out the sewing shop patterns for bags, you usually get like 6 in simplicity brand which gives you a variety to make.  Wink

cyndi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

pansophia
food.craft.life.

Never have too much blood in the coffee stream

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006 10:06:58 PM »

Thanks for all the good comments and hints!  It's scary posting projects for the first time.  I made a second bag with a different lining and it turned out better but I forgot to take pics.

Yarnia - I got the fabric at an awesome local store called Crafty Planet.  Their site is http://www.craftyplanet.com  That's where I took my sewing class, a knitting class, and I have an embroidery class coming up!  I like to do a little of everything!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The pleasure of finishing a project made with my own two hands and creativity.  It's what keeps me sane in an otherwise crazy world.  That and the Prozac.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Stephen King Talks About Duma Key
Meet Author Patty Brisben
Sheila Weller Reveals What Readers Think About Her
Tyler Colman Reveals His Favorite Movie
Once Upon a Day Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...