A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,060
Currently Running With Scissors:
500 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: UPDATED WITH MY PICS >>Want to use my favor boxes as centerpieces  (Read 3427 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lovelyislacey
« on: October 24, 2006 10:48:37 AM »

UPDATEI ended up using a brown squareish bowl and a light blue squarish plate. I hot glued them together and that was that. Nobody knew they were plates and bowls they were asking where i got my cute little cake plates. It ended up costing £2 per 'cake plate' Anyway let me know what you think.

I like the idea of using my favors as centerpieces (saves me money on flowers) I like the look of a cake place like in the pics below but was wondering if there are any other ideas since cake plates can  be a bit costly. Any ideas on how to recreat the cake plate look?

« Last Edit: May 11, 2007 04:10:04 PM by lovelyislacey » THIS ROCKS   Logged

OriginalYouth
Random Snarky Crafted Goodness!

Snarkier than Thou...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006 11:07:12 AM »

Get clear glass plates (you can find them for $1 or so) and cheap glass vases (likesaid, $1 also) and glue the plate on top of the upturned cup or vase.

Bingo, $2 cake 'plates'.  With presents on top, they will look perfect!  If your gluing is messy, just put a doily on top of the plate (under the boxes) so you can't see it.  Tongue

You can use glass candleholders as well..

Hope that helps!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2006 11:18:42 AM by OriginalYouth » THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlbotgoods

my guinea pigs are plotting to take over the world

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2006 11:15:26 AM »

another idea could be a small terracot flower pot turned upside down with a larger terracota flowerpot tray over that...then you could paint the terracotta, glue flowers, fabric, etc to them, tie a bow around them, the choices are endless.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lovelyislacey
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006 11:20:02 AM »

Thanks for the ideas I really loved this idea but i was wondering if it actually was going to save me some cash since i cant seem to find any cheap cake plates .
THIS ROCKS   Logged

girlbotgoods

my guinea pigs are plotting to take over the world

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006 11:27:20 AM »

some florists may rent out flower pots, etc. another supper cheap idea could be to buy paper cups and plates....if you cut the cup shorter and put the plate over that and hot glue it should work if your favors arnt to heavy.  also check a party supply store....the ones i looked at for my wedding had cheap plastic cake trays for a few $
THIS ROCKS   Logged

underthemountain
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Modern Peeps Family by Lana

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2006 11:53:38 AM »

I love your idea of using the favors as the centerpiece!! Hmm, as for making some inexpensive holders how about a glass plate glued to an inverted glass bowl? Or plastic?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my etsy
Live aloha
nightal1031
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2006 03:00:16 PM »

what about those cheap plastic martini glasses for the bottom, then glue one of those plastic disposable plates and spraypaint the whole thing silver/chrome
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Procrastinators unite!!!
...tomorrow
kstarsk
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2006 10:34:41 AM »

I've been mulling over this idea myself, and advise the following:

If you are near an Ikea they have glass cake plates for $9.99 apiece - that's the cheapest I've seen for new.

Or I also second OriginalYouth's idea - scour local thrift stores, goodwill, salvation army, etc. and you'll find tons of cheap glassware that you can mix & match. If you want a coordinated look Target sells sets of 12 glass plates and bowls for $19.99, which is a good deal. And I've seen suitable glass candlesticks & vases at Michaels & other craft stores for dirt cheap.

Good luck!

ps: the second picture in your post looks like it is a glass plate inverted onto a small glass bowl - so that should work well.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2006 10:36:22 AM by kstarsk » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"there never was a good war or a bad peace"
-benjamin franklin
lovelyislacey
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2006 01:16:06 PM »

I think I am going to go with the plate on top of an upside down bowl idea. I found perfect plate and bowls. I'll post more pics when I make my sample up. Thanks for all the help guys Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

LotusBaby
Wannabeamama!

Better than a cat. A Buddhist. More lives!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2006 10:39:47 PM »

what about those cheap plastic martini glasses for the bottom, then glue one of those plastic disposable plates and spraypaint the whole thing silver/chrome

What a fantastic idea!  We're getting married in a small ceremony with 27 guests in two weeks and I'm just now getting to the stage where I'm thinking of this!!!  I know, I know.  So not organised.

Anyhow, thankyou heaps for the great 'cakestand' suggestion.

I'll use that one Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Horseshoe Pitching Grips Tutorial
Learn about Horseshoe Pitching Equipment
Learn about Horseshoe Pitching Rules
Horseshoes Throwing Tutorial
Overtime and Rebuttals in Beer Pong
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Amigurumi
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Karen Casper
Tute Tuesday: Wooden Chain

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...