A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 299,128
Currently Running With Scissors:
366 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Old Clothes Into A Rug  (Read 5586 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

dyabolica

Gaze into my eyes and submit to my puppy dominion!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: September 10, 2004 08:33:40 AM »

This is made on a frame, its called a twined rag rug. I made it out of old clothing, like shirts, pants, and even old boxers, theres also an old twin sheet as well. I remove all the buttons and tear the clothes into 2 inch strips. My grandma taught me how to make these. Kids can even make them. This pattern is called hit or miss. Basically you do 6 rowws of the blue, then take the scraps and throw them in a pile and mix them up, then just twine the random colors. You also flip the fram over every few rows to keep even tension. This rugs never curl they always lay flat. They are very heavy though, so I rarely wash them, I just vacuum them and beat them to clean them. You can make trivets and placemats this way as well.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v75/dyabolica/rugg.jpg
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010 08:21:24 PM by pixieval - Reason: removed broken image tags » THIS ROCKS   Logged

R.I.P Jon 7.15.07 I will never get over losing you!
End the war in Iraq, we have lost enough our
Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
starlagurl
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004 08:45:44 AM »

Do you have a good website for making these? I want one!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SarahFroggy
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004 08:54:34 AM »

yeah me too. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
starlagurl
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004 09:00:29 AM »

I did a search and found it

http://www.marlamallett.com/loom.htm
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004 11:38:18 AM »

I did a search and found it

http://www.marlamallett.com/loom.htm
no this isn't the technique, heres a link to get a leaflet that explains how, I bought this and I highly recommend it. As for thier frames they are super nice, but I was able to build my own for under 15 dollars, using stuff from my local lowes.
http://www.oldmadequilts.com/products/rugframes.html
I bought the book rugs from rags on this site, its very easy to understand, I also have twined rag rugs by bobby irwin, but I like the rugs from rags book more
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004 11:40:10 AM by dyabolica » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fathers, Mothers, Sons and Daughters! I won't be on Craftster for a while, I am just not feeling creative.
dyabolica

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2004 11:44:33 AM »

Do you have a good website for making these? I want one!
all you really need to get started is the leaflet from this site, you can build the frame yourself, the leaflet is 10.00, and I built my frame using the leaflets instructions, the only difference is mine doesnt have a stand, I just lean it up against the back of a chair, when I don't feel like twining I stick it in a closet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Jonobie
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2004 05:16:51 PM »

no this isn't the technique, heres a link to get a leaflet that explains how, I bought this and I highly recommend it. As for thier frames they are super nice, but I was able to build my own for under 15 dollars, using stuff from my local lowes.
I bought the book rugs from rags on this site, its very easy to understand, I also have twined rag rugs by bobby irwin, but I like the rugs from rags book more

Buyer beware: I purchased from a loom from this site and was *really* disappointed. I definitely recommend the Lowes route instead.

The loom was $35+shipping and took 3 weeks to arrive. What it doesn't explain on the site is that I have to make it entirely myself. I understood I'd need to nail or screw together the four sides, because shipping the full loom would be impractical. What I didn't expect was that I'd need to measure out 1" spaces  myself and nail in what looks like ~40 nails on each of two sides, so that I have something to wrap the rags around. The places to drive in the nails aren't even marked on the wood. I don't see much value in paying to ship four sticks of wood, some nails,  a rod, and some nails and screws to myself.

The "book" was $10. (The poster above is correct in referring to it as a leaflet. It's listed as a book on the site, though.) Without it, there are no instructions for how to assemble the loom that you pay $35 for. Again, not clearly labelled on the site. I generally expect that instructions for assembly come free with purchase.  It's 16 pages, total, with black and white photographs and steps. Not really worth $10, IMO.

Anyhow, just thought I'd let others know in case they ran across this and got similarly excited.

Cheers,
Jonobie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dyabolica

« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2004 08:44:15 AM »

Buyer beware: I purchased from a loom from this site and was *really* disappointed. I definitely recommend the Lowes route instead.

The loom was $35+shipping and took 3 weeks to arrive. What it doesn't explain on the site is that I have to make it entirely myself. I understood I'd need to nail or screw together the four sides, because shipping the full loom would be impractical. What I didn't expect was that I'd need to measure out 1" spaces myself and nail in what looks like ~40 nails on each of two sides, so that I have something to wrap the rags around. The places to drive in the nails aren't even marked on the wood. I don't see much value in paying to ship four sticks of wood, some nails, a rod, and some nails and screws to myself.

The "book" was $10. (The poster above is correct in referring to it as a leaflet. It's listed as a book on the site, though.) Without it, there are no instructions for how to assemble the loom that you pay $35 for. Again, not clearly labelled on the site. I generally expect that instructions for assembly come free with purchase. It's 16 pages, total, with black and white photographs and steps. Not really worth $10, IMO.

Anyhow, just thought I'd let others know in case they ran across this and got similarly excited.

Cheers,
Jonobie
I agree the book is pretty basic, but it explains the technique in simpler terms then the Bobby Irwin book,and I had to refresh my memory on how to make the rugs. A friend of mine bought a frame from them 2 or 3 yrs ago and it was partially assembled, but I felt I could make mine cheaper then 35.00 bucks and I was right. I wonder why they sent you just the loom parts and expected you to know how to assemble it, thats bad buisness! I am sorry for your unhappiness about the book and loom, but hopefully you will still make a rug. Maybe I should build a new frame and post a tute on here. All you need is some wood nails a couple of eyebolts and some pencil rod.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SarahFroggy
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2004 12:52:19 PM »

ohh yeah dyabolica please do!! i'd love to make a rug but don't really have the extra money for the book and all that jazz.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Jonobie
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2004 06:28:37 AM »

I am sorry for your unhappiness about the book and loom, but hopefully you will still make a rug. Maybe I should build a new frame and post a tute on here. All you need is some wood nails a couple of eyebolts and some pencil rod.

I'm definitely still planning on making a rug -- will post pictures if I ever complete one. Smiley (Like many, I think, I'm *great* at starting projects. A bit more difficult to finish them, sometimes.) 

A tutorial about frame-creating would be neat, I think.

Cheers,
Jonobie
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow
Tute Tuesday: Cross Stitched Sewing Box

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...