A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
463 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: local corset making supplies  (Read 1838 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aliengrace
« on: October 24, 2006 01:16:35 AM »

hi, i'm just getting into making corsets, anyone else from australia who's making them?

well in terms of professional supplies, i've just tracked down
http://www.metrofabrics.com.au/corsetry.html who have a shopfront in sydney and do online orders.  no minimum orders but they don't have a pricelist, you have to give them a list of exactly what you need and they'll quote you.  so i haven't done that quite yet as i want to use cheaper materials ar this stage.

i've gotten cotton duck (canvas) from spotlight which is a cheaper substitute for coutil, it was about $5/metre.

i've been picking up street sweeper blades off the street to use for (shorter, underbust) bones as they are spring steel.  all over the inner city of melbourne and probably in other cities.

now, i'm looking for a few things:
* plasti-dip - the stuff you dip bone ends in to cover the ends in plastic
* really sturdy cable ties to use as plastic bones, the sort that are really long and thick, from a shopfront so i can go and flex them (well, http://www.cableties.com.au/ has them with a $50 min order).
* heavyweight vinyl, matt or gloss, suitable for wear. not spotlight's stuff, it's got weird creases in it that don't look good for clothing in my opinion.

anyone got any tips/hints to contribute?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ambiguous_Miss
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2006 01:31:27 AM »

Hi, I dont make corsets.... but am very interested in any info you give/get cause i want to make them, just havent gotten around to it yet.

My friend makes them herself. She bought a large roll of metal packing tape, which is sprung/spring steel, but alot cheaper.... Im not sure where she got it from, she just cuts it to the length needed an uses a dremel to round the edges off. and then dips the end in eamel paint. which brings me to my next point.

Using enamel house type paint is cheaper and works the same as the plasti-dip , you just dip the ends in the paint letit dry and do it again, or just oit once if its thick enough.

also, I wouldnt use cable ties for the smaller bones, because they dont really do anythig. and don't do the same job as metal ones.

If you lace the corset properly it will bend and buckle, and corsets are not meant to do that.

I'm not sure where abouts you are. But have you considered asking perhaps some furniature stores that have the non creased type vinyl for their couches or w/e?

Or maybe also other smaller fabrc stores?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
talmina
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2006 02:31:03 AM »

Try Lincraft for the vinyl, I'm sure I've seen some smooth stuff in there.

With the enamel paint you should try painting the whole bone in it and then adding more to the tip, it helps prevent rusting of the whole bone.

In some places, doubled or tripled cable ties can work for boning, and some people swear by them, but this depends on the strength of your foundation fabrics, and your reduction.  They're also great for mockups.

For the metal strapping, go to a local timber mill and see if they're willing to sell you some, or put you onto their supplier as they tend to use the stuff, alternatively go chat to the gang in timber at your local hardware store (or do what I do and date one of them) to see if they can scrounge you some up, though by the time they get it it's generally pretty sorry looking tbh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliengrace
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2006 04:26:45 AM »

hey cheers for the responses and suggestions!! i'll

i'm personally not interested in reduction, i want to make more cyber-y fetish androgynous type ones for myself, who is rather skinny and straight up and down, so for me, boning strength isn't as much of an issue. hence plastic or little steel bones will work okay for me.  however, if i get good and start making them for curvacious femme friends who like a little restriction, then i will want all the engineering strength i need, maybe strapping or even profesh bones!!  for starters, i am thinking of putting lots and lots of narrow steel street-sweeper bones in and topstitching in channels to get an interesting effect.

thanks for the tips on vinyl!  i'm thinking also maybe shoe material suppliers for glossy or otherwise, altho i wonder at their minimums.  proper heavyweight glossy vinyl is apparently notoriously difficult to find (i've got 5 rolls of good-quality garment weight vinyl and as it's stretchy and i can't really interface it - or can you?? - i imagine it will be a bugger to work with in corsetry, oh well others do it).

...and for melbourne tips *taps nose*, someone told me a couple of days ago that RJ Harvey (Harvey RJ and co) on Swanston St, I think in that sewing-biz shops/arts building on the cnr of Little Flinders maybe, has corsetry supplies. I'm going to check it out also!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talmina
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2006 04:17:49 PM »

Well in that case you could even go with hemp cording and the corset pattern generator at preg_replace('/(.{19})/', '$1 ', 'www.elizabethancostume.net'). Still double or triple up on your cableties or in this case the plastic strapping to avoid it buclking on you or moulding itself to your bodyshape and still being ineffective as that is still the major prob when using plastic bones to smooth out any lumps and bumps.   You could also consider checking out latex, imo it's pretty cyberish though I haven't worked with it before and couldn't say where you would get it from but that could solve your vinyl problem.

By the sounds of it you have already at least read the thread on corsetry in the clothing discussion section, but you could also head over to check out the memories on some of the corsetry comms on lj and if you're looking into working with latex, I have also been led to believe that there is a latex comm over there.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliengrace
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2006 11:22:17 AM »

cheers for your suggestions, talmina, i'll look into it!

now, for rj harvey (Harvey RJ & Co.) who sell corset making supplies in the melbourne cbd on the 3rd flr Nicholas?? Bldg, cnr Little Flinders & Swanston St, i checked them out, should i want the real deal at any point for supplies.  they only have 9mm steel and spiral bones, from about 8 inches to about 20 inches.  same price for both, pre-tipped, from about er, 1.30 to er?? 3.00?Huh?? each and busks were from about 8 inches to about 16 inches and were about 14.50 to err 23.00??? those prices and measurements are really vague as i didn't have a pen and the old dude in there, who didn't make eye contact with me once (shades of job's??), talked really fast. i suggest you ring or visit to find out more.  they've got the supplies right there to sell you.  didn't enquire if they had bulk prices.  they don't have coutil.  they sell lots of tailoring supplies also. x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

talmina
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2006 10:22:47 PM »

I might have to check them out next time I'm down that way, could be a while though.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
aliengrace
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2006 04:20:21 AM »

no wuckas!  Grin  see metro fabrics also, my link above, they are a shop in sydney, which is closer to you (and has a wider range and do online ordering)! x
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aliengrace
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006 04:59:21 AM »

aah a long thread i found on making latex corsets:
http://rubberist.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2316
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lixs
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2006 04:30:29 PM »

I have a bit of a stock of *very hard* plastic strapping(think the 1.5 cm kind they use on the huge lots of 20ft stacks of timber.. you can split/slice it down the middle fairly easily ive found.) and steel strapping of the same width( unable to be split I woudlnt think..) if anyone in melbourne is out for corsety fun. I have all intentions of making my own but as of yet only have one mock up due to time restrictions Sad

I'll trade you for a lesson on yr corsetry techniques or a discount on a custom corset if you make them Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Fish
How to Draw Spiderman
How to Draw Bea from Fish Hooks
How to Draw Oscar from Fish Hooks
How to Draw Peter Griffin from Family Guy
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...