A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,141
Currently Running With Scissors:
482 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: [ACCEPTED FOR FOC] General Talk  (Read 6918 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

x_no_one_x
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2005 05:50:19 PM »

I think that a general discussion board would be awesome.
Crafts and art areoften inspired by peoples views, and by situations in their lifes and allow people to express themselves and deal with these situations.  I think if we had a general discussion board, we would be able to better understand the other people on here and their thoughts/beliefs/situations, and through that better understand their works of art.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
IndividualFrog

the petals will darken and sink

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2005 07:52:34 PM »

I definitely agree with the impulse to keep craftster craft-only.  When people post things with a political message, for example, knowing that you are not allowed to talk about the message, but only the craft itself, really works to keep things polite and inclusive.  I <i>really like</i> that it doesn't matter who you are, what you think, etc, if you want to share your work or ask for advice, you can come here.

But on the other hand...  It's kind of like, if this was our workplace or school, at present we would have no place to hang out after hours and chitchat.  And I'd love to get to know people a little, shoot the shit.  So yeah, maybe an official "craftster people chatting board" would work, separate from craftster itself but linked?  I don't know if that would be crazy expensive or difficult, though...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

夢も後なく夜も明けて、村雨と聞きしもけさ見れば、松風ばかりや残るらん、松風ばかりや残るらん
John deBoer Custom
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2005 03:51:03 PM »

Just came in here to post a thread just like this... There's clearly a big demand for a "general bitching" board Wink but there isn't any, so threads keep popping up in the wrong places, and end up getting locked, and we're all oh so lost *sighs dramatically*
(yeah I'm still on summers break from school so I'm here 24/7 for another week)

I don't know what software craftster is using, but if there isn't any excluding code-strips avalible for the "recent posts" thing, shouldn't you just be able to suggest it to the developers? It should be an easy enough setting to make: a counter that counts how many "posts" have been gathered in the temporary memory as the page is being generated, and something saying "if thisone != noncraft, include and raise counter, else continue without marking this post and without raising counter" (!= computer language for "is not")
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
hakue
Creative Chaos

You can't put that on a steak and eat it!

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2005 05:30:45 PM »

I think a general talk board would be great.  Threads are always getting off topic when people start discussing something that's not at all related to the original post.  There's also the problem with people getting into political debates in craft boards.  I think this would help keep craft boards strictly about craft.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Skill without imagination is craftsmanship and gives us many useful objects such as wickerwork picnic baskets. Imagination without skill gives us modern art."
Tom Stoppard  

Horrah for quotes! Cheesy
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2005 04:20:32 PM »

I'm against the General Talk thing for a few reasons. I find it easy to sometimes write in list form, so here you go:

1. People would join Craftster just to talk about music or TV or politics. A whole new crowd could come to Craftster just because of the off-topic section.
2. We've all seen the debates on whether or not lava lamps/blenders/coffee pots/etc. are safe for fish. And we've all seen how defensive and sometimes nasty people can get over these little things. Imagine what a politics thread might sound like.
3. We would need a bunch of more mods to keep everything tidy. A general board can get SO out of control.
4. The money factor applys here, too. Leah has to pay a lot to keep Craftster going, hence the Support Craftster box in the right corner. Every post takes up bandwich... and every bit of that space costs money. When Craftster grows bigger, Leah has to do upgrades and put in more money so it doesn't get too slow. Adding this board could be a HUGE expense.
5. I can see the General Board taking over. I can see people going there more often than than the craft-related ones. It would be sad to see Craftster become one big General Board.

Though I agree there are some really great people on here and sometimes it would be fun to get to know them better, I still think this would cause more problems than anything. I wish the Chat feature could come back... it could be like a general board, only more fun. Maybe if the chat room only opened certain days and times, it would be more manageable. And it wouldn't take up permanant space on Craftster.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
humblestumble
Craftster enhances life.

Retro crafty.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2005 04:26:45 PM »

how about a general "Help" board. just help for anything...health issues, tying ur shoes, computer problems...?

I think that would keep the politics down and help people with personal problems.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.amschwengler.com

http://craftster.ourtoolbar.com <-- I made a Craftster toolbar for us obsessed Craftster members

"Takes 2 steps to get up and one to fall down."
SassetteOPants

Equal parts sugar and salt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2005 11:57:11 AM »

I'm against the General Talk thing for a few reasons. I find it easy to sometimes write in list form, so here you go:

1. People would join Craftster just to talk about music or TV or politics. A whole new crowd could come to Craftster just because of the off-topic section.
2. We've all seen the debates on whether or not lava lamps/blenders/coffee pots/etc. are safe for fish. And we've all seen how defensive and sometimes nasty people can get over these little things. Imagine what a politics thread might sound like.
3. We would need a bunch of more mods to keep everything tidy. A general board can get SO out of control.
4. The money factor applys here, too. Leah has to pay a lot to keep Craftster going, hence the Support Craftster box in the right corner. Every post takes up bandwich... and every bit of that space costs money. When Craftster grows bigger, Leah has to do upgrades and put in more money so it doesn't get too slow. Adding this board could be a HUGE expense.
5. I can see the General Board taking over. I can see people going there more often than than the craft-related ones. It would be sad to see Craftster become one big General Board.

Though I agree there are some really great people on here and sometimes it would be fun to get to know them better, I still think this would cause more problems than anything. I wish the Chat feature could come back... it could be like a general board, only more fun. Maybe if the chat room only opened certain days and times, it would be more manageable. And it wouldn't take up permanant space on Craftster.

I couldn't have said it better myself.  Craftster is a GREAT place, but there are a lot of passionate people here (I'm one of them--I have to restrain myself from posting in some of the discussions of more volatile topics!), and I think a general board would just encourage the bickering that already occurs.  There are lots of places to discuss non-craft issues, and hey, we can always PM each other!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...so believe when I say Im no better than you, except when I craft so I guess it aint true.

Insinuendos.etsy.com
spoonerism
gabriella.

gabriella

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2005 11:58:42 AM »

if you're needing to do a general talk type thing, i suggest maybe joining livejournal communities. it's free and there are plenty of boards/comms that are willing to talk about health related problems, mental health, sewing, anime there are TONS. instead of taking on a space on craftster maybe consider  joining places like livejournal where people start "boards" to talk about certain things.
i say just join someone else and not take up the space on craftster.

if people are willing to start a "Craftster" community on LJ, i'm sure people would join.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SassetteOPants

Equal parts sugar and salt

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2005 12:07:35 PM »

if people are willing to start a "Craftster" community on LJ, i'm sure people would join.

That's a really good idea! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...so believe when I say Im no better than you, except when I craft so I guess it aint true.

Insinuendos.etsy.com
candycanechild
Paper Doll

version 4.1: she's just so clinically cynically.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2005 12:39:05 PM »

That's a really good idea!

Yeah, I agree. If someone starts one they should make a topic on here to let everyone know. Maybe somwhere along the line, if it catches on, Leah could make it a section of the "Quick Links" under all of the blog, picture hosting, etc.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Your Own Napkin Ring
How to Gift Wrap a Bottle
How to Decorate Your Gifts
How to Decorate Your Gift Wrapped Bottle
How to Wrap a Square Ended Box
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...