A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
683 Guests and 24 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pumpkins! Please share your Jack O Lanterns  (Read 25909 times)
Tags for this thread: jack_o_lantern , pumpkin_carving  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

apt11
« Reply #70 on: October 31, 2006 10:33:11 AM »

Is it possible to preserve a Jack-o-Lantern? Like coat it in shellac or something?

After I carve out the faces, I put Vaseline on the cuts. I also put my jack-o-lanterns in the fridge during the day and display them all lit up at night.

And for an emergency and the pumpkin looks beyond repairable and shriveled, I fill up a big bucket with water and leave the pumpkin submerged for a few hours, it comes out looking new and fresh.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

little hug, big kiss
-Noelle.
therealgigantor

GIGANTOR SMASH YOUR CITYYYYYYY!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: October 31, 2006 10:52:58 AM »

Is it possible to preserve a Jack-o-Lantern? Like coat it in shellac or something?

After I carve out the faces, I put Vaseline on the cuts. I also put my jack-o-lanterns in the fridge during the day and display them all lit up at night.

And for an emergency and the pumpkin looks beyond repairable and shriveled, I fill up a big bucket with water and leave the pumpkin submerged for a few hours, it comes out looking new and fresh.

Good tips! But I think she was talking long term...like to keep and use again? That's what I was thinking.

In terms of short term freshness, I find keeping it in the fridge and sprayed with water works well too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bubbledragon
« Reply #72 on: October 31, 2006 12:42:24 PM »

Hi all!  I just thought I'd show everyone this awesome experiment on pumpkin preservation, as I don't think it's been linked yet.  I carved mine on friday, and it had already shrivelled up something awful, so I soaked it in the bleach/cold water solution overnight, and it plumped right back up.  I did this since I won't need it for very long anyway.  Anyhow, enjoy:

http://www.myscienceproject.org/pumpkin.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #73 on: October 31, 2006 12:49:24 PM »

Hi all!  I just thought I'd show everyone this awesome experiment on pumpkin preservation, as I don't think it's been linked yet.  I carved mine on friday, and it had already shrivelled up something awful, so I soaked it in the bleach/cold water solution overnight, and it plumped right back up.  I did this since I won't need it for very long anyway.  Anyhow, enjoy:

http://www.myscienceproject.org/pumpkin.html

How funny!  I was just about to post a link to this project. Smiley

But for long term (year after year) preservation I'm really not sure.  You could try sealing it with resin.  They also sell carvable, artificial pumkins that are meant to be kept for years.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

RockWaterFalls
Dances With Arrows

Slave to the Craft

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: October 31, 2006 02:28:54 PM »

Okay! Here are ours:
Strong Bad for me...

And spooky tree for the FH...

It's our first attempts to carve since we were kids...It was so much fun! Thanks again for the inspiration!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Old Links I'm too Lazy to Change yet...:
Wists: http://www.wists.com/rockwaterfalls
Stalkers: http://www.geocities.com/amanda_zobel
corpsetlames

I will eat your oreos

View Profile WWW
« Reply #75 on: October 31, 2006 02:44:49 PM »

I made it today, and lookit! It's my first one, ever, so it's sort of messy... But it's so cute because it's tiny  Cheesy, it's seriously about 5cm tall. Meet Mellow:
http://img512.imageshack.us/img512/6070/dscf1154og0.th.jpg
In action:

And to see how tiny it is:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011 09:06:35 PM by alteredmommy » THIS ROCKS   Logged
roxybadoxy

Glcklich mich

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 31, 2006 02:45:58 PM »

aww mellow is adorable!!!!!!!!! is that really a pumpkin!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

please help some animals by clicking here!
OH! and there are other tabs so you can do more helpful things. YAY!!
Preturbed
Uncommonly Good

Shop smart. Shop S-Mart

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 31, 2006 02:59:29 PM »

Good tips! But I think she was talking long term...like to keep and use again? That's what I was thinking.

In terms of short term freshness, I find keeping it in the fridge and sprayed with water works well too

*Ahem* I think you mean he. Other than that, you're right. I was looking for long-term solutions. Given some thought and an extensive google search, I don't think its really plausible to save a Jack-o-Lantern for more than a week or so.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
Version: 3.1
GAT/L/O d+(--) s: a-->? C++ L>+++ W+++ N K? w+(--) M- PS-(+++) PE Y+ t+@ 5- X+ R tv+@ b++(+++) DI+@ D++(---) G e+>++++(*) h+ r++ y*(+++)
------END GEEK CODE BLOCK------
megan+mary

DANGER: CRAFTING ZONE

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #78 on: October 31, 2006 05:57:35 PM »

The boyfriend and I bought the fake pumpkins from Michael's and carved them. They weren't as sturdy as real pumpkins (obviously) but they definitely were cleaner and better to keep in our second-story apartment! You also cannot use real candles in them, so luckily for my best friend's wedding they used battery-powered "candles" and I just happened to have two!  Cheesy

Mine, freehanded but based on a pattern in a children's carving book

The boyfriend's

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I will gladly do personal ATC swaps!

I've jumped on the wist bandwagon
Amalas
« Reply #79 on: October 31, 2006 08:28:08 PM »

Triforce (husband's):
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/Amalas/IMG_1827.jpg

Navi (mine, design from here):
http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a382/Amalas/IMG_1828.jpg

Somehow I think it's mildly unfair that he picked an easy design, while mine took way longer.  *pout*   Grin
« Last Edit: February 27, 2011 09:08:56 PM by alteredmommy - Reason: fixed coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Two roads diverged in a Yellow Wood
~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 19 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Turkish Quilting
The Art of Kilim Weaving and Miniature Painting
The Art of Glass and Ceramic Tile Painting
The Art of Turkish Ebru
The Art of Charcoal Drawing
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...