A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,046
Currently Running With Scissors:
512 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Venezia from Interweave Winter 06 by Eunny Jang  (Read 65405 times)
Tags for this thread: eunny_jang  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cnp71201
« Reply #390 on: May 25, 2007 06:55:15 PM »

Looks great! How did you do the neckline mods? I want to do this with a v-neck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
Moiraine
« Reply #391 on: May 29, 2007 07:54:37 AM »

Looks great! How did you do the neckline mods? I want to do this with a v-neck.

Work to the row when you want to start the v-neck.  Work across the row to the center of the front and place one or more center stitches on a holder (depending how wide you want the bottom of the v-neck to be).  Then cast on the ten steek stitches in the same manner that you did for the armholes over the one (or more) center neck stitch(es).  As you work up the sweater, decrease on each side of the neck steek to get your angled v-neck.  When you get near the top of the sweater, you probably will want to create a back neck steek to create a bit of a curve at the back neck for a better fit.  You'd place the center back neck stitches (you'll have to determine what would be the best width for you) on a holder and and cast on a steek.  Then on the next few rows you can decrease on either side of the steek to create a bit of a curve.

On the Venezia pattern, the neckband goes all the way across the top of the sweater from shoulder to shoulder and then the front and back are sewn together a bit on each shoulder to create the boatneck.  I'm assuming you'd want to instead attach the shoulders (the patterned fabric) and then pick up stitches around the neck and work a neckband.  If so, you'll have to determine how wide you want the shoulders to be and make the angle of your v-neck so it will leave you with the correct width at the shoulder.  You could then leave the stitches live and use three needle bind off or you could bind them off and sew the front and back together.  Keep in the mind that the neckband on the boatneck sweater added length to the sweater (the armhole).  If you are planning to attach the shoulders as I mentioned above, you'll need to work the patterned shoulders longer to make up for the difference in length that the neckband would have added or else your armholes may be too small.

It would be very helpful to chart out your modifications.  You can plan out the measurements based on your gauge and plan how many neck decreases you'll need and where you will place them so you get the angle and width of the v-neck you want.

Eunny has a great steek tutorial on her website.  It really helped me to visualize how the steeks and decreases all work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cynder
« Reply #392 on: May 29, 2007 08:24:44 AM »

On the Venezia pattern, the neckband goes all the way across the top of the sweater from shoulder to shoulder and then the front and back are sewn together a bit on each shoulder to create the boatneck.  I'm assuming you'd want to instead attach the shoulders (the patterned fabric) and then pick up stitches around the neck and work a neckband.  If so, you'll have to determine how wide you want the shoulders to be and make the angle of your v-neck so it will leave you with the correct width at the shoulder.  You could then leave the stitches live and use three needle bind off or you could bind them off and sew the front and back together.  Keep in the mind that the neckband on the boatneck sweater added length to the sweater (the armhole).  If you are planning to attach the shoulders as I mentioned above, you'll need to work the patterned shoulders longer to make up for the difference in length that the neckband would have added or else your armholes may be too small.

It would be very helpful to chart out your modifications.  You can plan out the measurements based on your gauge and plan how many neck decreases you'll need and where you will place them so you get the angle and width of the v-neck you want.

Hm. I haven't thought that far ahead.  In my modifications, I was keeping the back steak as Eunny wrote, and just modified the neck to have a curve that would meet up with the back.

???Hm.  More planning.  And I was going to be done with knitting the front tonight.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moiraine
« Reply #393 on: May 29, 2007 09:32:28 AM »

Hm. I haven't thought that far ahead.  In my modifications, I was keeping the back steak as Eunny wrote, and just modified the neck to have a curve that would meet up with the back.

???Hm.  More planning.  And I was going to be done with knitting the front tonight.  Undecided

If it's a gentle slope in the front and not too deep.  And if the stitches remaining on the shoulders are the same as what the pattern indicated, then I would think it could still work with the neckband like in the pattern.

Otherwise, if it's a clear "scoop" and if the shoulders are wider on the front than what was indicated in the pattern, then you could modify the back steek.  You could probably start the back steek at the same row.  Just place fewer center stitches on the holder, so that after a few decrease rows you'll end up with the same number of stitches on each shoulder in the back as you'll have in the front.

Does that make any sense?  I don't know how far along you are, but I would think that since the back neck steek only needs to be about an inch deep or so, it shouldn't be too terribly difficult to alter.  (Still sucks to have to tink back though!)
« Last Edit: May 29, 2007 11:42:54 AM by Moiraine » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Cynder
« Reply #394 on: May 29, 2007 11:25:50 AM »

Thanks Moiraine.   Grin
I used the numbers Eunny laied out for the back steak,  I have the shoulders with what was written in the pattern (didn't want to do too much math).  So I think the easiest way around is to do something like the pattern states, just have the scoop in the front.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Hathaldir
I'm wossname... proverbial for it.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #395 on: May 29, 2007 10:03:53 PM »

Hm. I haven't thought that far ahead.  In my modifications, I was keeping the back steak...

yummy, yummy, steak.

Sorry, couldn't resist. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

vasetthi

Iron Goddess of Mercy

View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 29, 2007 10:23:28 PM »

Hm. I haven't thought that far ahead.  In my modifications, I was keeping the back steak...

yummy, yummy, steak.

Not just steak: back steak!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

You know, for kids.
Cynder
« Reply #397 on: May 30, 2007 06:13:23 AM »

yummy, yummy, steak.

LOL.. I am the queen of misspelling, and Crafter's spell check wants to change it to steak.

I finished knitting the body last night!  Since neither yarn is Shetland yarn, I'm taking out some steek insurance and doing crocheting them before cutting.
(Before you ask, Eunny has a great tutorial.
http://www.eunnyjang.com/knit/2006/01/the_steeking_chronicles_part_i.html )
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Lindyloop
« Reply #398 on: May 30, 2007 06:41:58 AM »

Your Venezias look amazing and the neck modifications are great!

I have to postpone the start of mine as i don't have much time to concentrate at the moment, and in a few weeks the summer school holidays will begin so no quiet knitting time then!  Roll Eyes

I do like seeing all the progress here though.

Lin x  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Cynder
« Reply #399 on: May 30, 2007 07:23:56 AM »

I found another finished Veneiza in blogland this morning!

http://www.maud.prettyposies.com/2007/05/i_finished_venezia.html

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 48 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Benefits of Using a Remote Camera Trigger
American Kids Are In Serious Danger Working On Big Tobacco Farms
How to Turn Color Photos Into Stunning Black and White Photos
Infrared Photography: How to Choose Filters
Photography Tips for Shooting a First Birthday Celebration
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...