A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 296,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
675 Guests and 30 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 48
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Venezia from Interweave Winter 06 by Eunny Jang  (Read 64608 times)
Tags for this thread: eunny_jang  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Moiraine
« Reply #210 on: February 19, 2007 08:59:01 AM »

okay so i followed my own advice and put my inprogress venezia on scrap yarn to see how it fits....... it does not fit at all, its way too big.

That stinks.  When I'm faced with a situation like this, I just rip it and get started again.  Before you know it, you'll be back to the same spot you're at now with a sweater that fits you well. 

Did you swatch in the round?  Did you use the same needles on your swatch as your sweater?  Those things may affect your gauge.  Also, the larger the area you measure gauge over, the more accurate your measurement will be.  How big was your swatch?  Maybe as you got comfortable with the pattern, you loosened up a bit? 

I am currently making a stranded Christmas stocking with Jamieson's spindrift.  It's my "practice" project to get a feel for the yarn and to practice two-handed stranding (my first try at it) before I start Venezia.  I was a few inches into it and found that the circumference of my stocking (which was supposed to be 15" around) was 4" too big!  So I ripped and started again with the same needles, but I stranded more tightly and my gauge has been right on.  I had originally read that one should strand loosely, so I guess I had been concentrating too hard on leaving it all loose enough...and it was much too loose.  Is it possible thats what youre doing?

I know it sucks to start over.  But try to think of it as an opportunity to make the perfectly fitting sweater.  And it's just more knitting...somethin g you enjoy.  Wink  The nice thing about knitting is that we can rip and start over to get an item we are pleased with.  Don't give up! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cnp71201
« Reply #211 on: February 19, 2007 10:07:20 AM »

When I have to rip and start over, I usually just pull the work off the needles if I need to reuse them, but don't rip yet. I start over, and before I know it, I've passed what I had done before, and then it's easy to rip. No pain at all!

I am sure when you've finished, it will be worth all the work and then some, so I hope you don't give up! Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm crystalnickel on Ravelry!

Visit my blog at http://cnp71203.blogspot.com/. It has a little of everything... well, most things!

http://www.wists.com/cnp71203
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2007 10:39:55 AM »

I knit my swatch on dpns, the same size as the circular i'm using, and my swatch was about 7inches by 7 inches, i thought i had planned so carefully. I made eunny's deep v first so i know i have pretty even tension with my two handed fairisle. I think i'm just going to have to not question it and go down a size. Another thing i might do before i start over is fully chart out the size i'm making with where i want the decreaeses and everything. Does anyone else have a copy of eunny's deep v vest? The way she charted out the vest was brilliant, much easier to follow than a  little chart of one pattern repeat.

Actually, now that i think about it, i may just go down a needle size, i'll have to play around and see, my smaller size 2 circular is currently being used for knitty's thermal. hmm
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
Moiraine
« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2007 11:15:56 AM »

Sad   Sounds like you did a good job swatching.  I hope you get it all worked out Superstitch.  I remember Jemmer mentioned in one of her posts (maybe on her blog) that her row gauge grew a bit as she went along, so her armholes ended up bigger than she intended.  I think gauge can easily grow once you (general "you") get comfortably cruising along on a pattern.

I hope going down a needle size works out for you.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008 01:41:43 PM by Moiraine » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rorosity
« Reply #214 on: February 19, 2007 01:35:02 PM »

What size needles did you use for the bottom band?  Mine is still way too big.  I think I am just going to have to start over.  I am using size 2.  I think I might have to go down to size 1.

Jeannine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 19, 2007 01:38:00 PM »

i used the same size needles for the bottom band and the pattern work which was not good, my bottom band came out a little ripply because it didn't draw in like the fairisle, i was going to just accept it and move on, but now i'll get a chance to redo it since my pattern work it too big too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
wists
rorosity
« Reply #216 on: February 19, 2007 02:04:22 PM »

I guess I will first do a gauge swatch of the pattern.  I didn't do one before starting the bottom band, so I think I will just take my time and do it right.  Ugh!!!

Jeannine Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MartiniMonsters
« Reply #217 on: February 19, 2007 03:15:36 PM »

Progress is soooo slow. I just finished the decreases. After reading about everyone's sizing problems I tried mine on out of paranoia. I'm making the smallest size and thank goodness I'm even smaller because my gauge is a bit off in the opposite direction of everyone else. It's kind of nice though because it fits me like a glove, it's just too short so I think I'm just going to do extra rows before I start the increases.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 19, 2007 03:16:51 PM »

wow! so pretty
THIS ROCKS   Logged

my blog
wists
Moiraine
« Reply #219 on: February 19, 2007 03:29:09 PM »

That's gorgeous MartiniMonsters!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 48 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author Richard Madeley
Stefanie Wilder-Taylor Offers Readers Some Words of Wisdom
S. E. Cupp Talks About Losing Our Religion
Jennifer Vanderbes Talks About Strangers at the Feast
The Hacienda Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...