A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,112
Currently Running With Scissors:
634 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 48
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Venezia from Interweave Winter 06 by Eunny Jang  (Read 63700 times)
Tags for this thread: eunny_jang  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 17, 2007 10:08:06 PM »

what kind of provisional cast on are you using? I used the crochet on method and it worked great, i used the same weight yarn but in a contrasting color.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
rorosity
« Reply #191 on: February 18, 2007 07:41:02 AM »

Nope..not using the crochet on.  I am using the provisional cast on from Eunny Jang's website.  The figure 8 type.  Did the magazine show the crochet?  If so, I don't have it, because...believe it or not...just my luck, my issue of Interweave is missing a huge chunk of pages.  Of course, the glossary is not there, so all of the how to instructions are missing.  I called Interweave and they supposed to be sending me another, but I wanted to start this ASAP. 

Ok....onto figuring out the crochet on.  Thanks for the info...I have already tried casting on about 4 times and I am about to lose my mind.

Jeannine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissLulu
« Reply #192 on: February 18, 2007 07:59:47 AM »

I had a disastrous time casting on too - stress after stress.

In the end, I knit a few (7, I think) of st st flat (not joining in the round). Then I joined it (MUCH easier to see if you are twisting your stitches!) and did a round of purl, and then 7  rows of knit. I can't remember what this technique is called, but the purl row lets you fold the hem under neatly and tack it later. Soon you will be at the fun part!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Moiraine
« Reply #193 on: February 18, 2007 08:18:16 AM »

Jeannine,

Here's a good video of the crocheted provisional cast-on.

Here's a video of the provisional cast on that Eunny does.  Just scroll down to the invisible cast on.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2008 01:37:19 PM by Moiraine » THIS ROCKS   Logged
rorosity
« Reply #194 on: February 18, 2007 08:35:06 AM »

Thanks, everyone!

I was feeling like such a moron.  I knew this project was going to be difficult, but I didn't think it would be so much trouble right out of the gate. 

I am going to try one of the alternative provisional cast ons.  I hate that figure 8 version.  I remember that I used it on another project (much fewer stitches, though) and I didn't like it then.  I like it when you can pull out the waste yarn, but getting there is a nightmare.

One good thing:  I learned how to do two color, two handed stranded knitting yesterday.  Super easy.  I thought it would be much more difficult, but it turned out well.

Jeannine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ibunnysavetroy
« Reply #195 on: February 18, 2007 10:32:26 AM »

o my lord, i was just going to look at all your pictures to oo and aa, but now i want to make it. stop me please. i've never made a sweater! i can't i can't!
but anyways, these are freakin' amazing - to ANYONE who even attempts this sweater, i need to worship you....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rorosity
« Reply #196 on: February 18, 2007 10:55:54 AM »

Kimberly,

I can't get that first link to work for the crochet cast on.  Can you tell what site to go to?

Thank you!
Jeannine
THIS ROCKS   Logged
superstitch
Clothing Moderator
Quilting Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

she's just a cosmic girl

from another galaxy

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 18, 2007 10:58:48 AM »

here is the link for the instructions and video i used, i dont know if its the same as her link http://www.knittingatknoon.com/provisional.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Mustaches are sooo 2 years ago

my blog
wists
blistex
« Reply #198 on: February 18, 2007 11:50:41 AM »

Okay, major problems....I am having problems just casting on.  There must be something wrong with me.  I am making a huge mess of this.  How in the heck did you all cast on all those stitches (with that provisional cast on) and then join them without twisting them all up?

You should totally try everything the other commenters suggested, but I just had to respond to confess my knitting sin to you - I cast on allll of those stitches with that fiddly cast-on. I was terrified that I would twist the knitting once I joined it because man, everything was so tiny.

The first time I did it, I didn't twist it, but I didn't realize that as I pulled my knitting around the circular to knit the first round, the provisional yarn wasn't moving with it. I pulled the provisional yarn out of about 50 stitches which began to unravel before I noticed. I tore it all out and started again, and the second time I did it, despite triple-checking my edges, I twisted my knitting when I joined it in the round.

I didn't rip it out, though. I was about four rounds in, so everything was still really small, and I knew I'd be doubling up the hem so the part I was working on would be invisible - so I just "untwisted" the knitting at the beginning of the next round where there tends to be ever-so-slightly-more-space, and kept on knitting. You would have had to look for the spot where I did it anyway, things are so small with this sweater, but once the hem was doubled up, it looks like it never happened.

Not that I'm advocating the easy way out, but, well, maybe I am. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
MissLulu
« Reply #199 on: February 18, 2007 03:50:45 PM »

here is my epic adventure SO FAR:

Take one:
- Never done a provisional cast-on before. Figure I will use a piece of alpaca for my waste yarn because it is pretty slippy.
- Sit in front of the computer watching the knitting help video, frowning, for about 45 minutes before i understand it.
- cast on
- read "don't twist your stitches" and laugh. Who twists their stitches???
- get ready for 3 needle-bind off step. By now the alpaca has shed all over my nice merino
- it is IMPOSSIBLE to get the stitches off the alpaca. Takes me a couple of hours and still my stitch count is off and I have to fudge it.
- finally get it off, am so excited to start knitting the pattern
- realize that I have twisted the stitches. I have, instead of a hem, a mobius strip.
- rip it out, telling myself that at least I will NEVER make that mistake again.

Take two:
-Use a strand of seasilk this time, everything goes smoothly, until, of course, 10 inches into the pattern when i realize that the sweater is way too small for me.
- rip out

Take three:
- Start new hem, using seasilk again. When joining am SO careful - smooth my stitches out obsessively.
- halfway through the hem realize that somehow i have managed to twist the stitches. I have yet another mobius strip. Consider giving up entirely.
-Rip out

Take four:
- cast on stitches, do not join
- knit in st st for 7 rows, and then do a row of purl on the RS and join.
- do 7 rows of knit in the round.
- All is, finally, well.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 48 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Make-Ahead Turkey Recipe Saves Time on Thanksgiving Day
Creative Ways to Use Holiday Leftovers
How to Make a Casserole Out of Thanksgiving Leftovers
How To: Asian-Style Burger With Ponzu Slaw & Sriracha Ketchup
Homemade Texas Red Chili Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...