A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 299,164
Currently Running With Scissors:
583 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: BLACK AND WHITE SKIRT (TUTORIAL NOW ON PAGE TWO!!)  (Read 9757 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Sewlittletime

Pink frosting is wunnerful, dahlink!!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2006 10:30:20 AM »

The skirt came out very cute! What an awesome friend you are! I would be honored if any friend, male or female, made a garment just for me!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fabricfightsfire
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2006 06:29:44 PM »

very cute! i love the buttons too! tutorial any time soon? I wish i had a guy frind like you who could make me skirts. and it sdef not weird to make girls clothings, sooo many of the best designers are men
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
petite_patineuse
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2006 12:29:07 PM »

wow, so cute! yeah i definitely wish my guy would make something for me. Smiley and i think we need a tutorial on this!!

lisa [<3]
THIS ROCKS   Logged
.awestruckamature.
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2006 03:48:43 PM »

Cute! Great job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
morbid_angel
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2006 04:13:14 PM »

it's not wierd, i think it's hot
lol
be my friend
i want a skirt, too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

it's not the end that i fear with each breath, its life that scares me to death...
Meg2426

Normal means lack of imagination.

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2006 04:27:16 PM »

i LOVE this skirt! (i like her shoes too, by the way Tongue) but anyway, i love the black band on top. where did you get the material? i can never find anything cool like that. haha and i love how you say "i'm a dude" but anyway i love the skirt! nice job! was it hard to make?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ericsktbrdr
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2006 04:52:48 PM »

i got the fabric at the fabric store
it was easy to make, i didnt even use a pattern
THIS ROCKS   Logged
flammable_feline

If people could put rainbows in zoos they'd do it.

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2006 01:20:12 AM »

i want that soooo much! everything about it is just adorable!!! esp the waist with buttons
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

*asks very sweetly* is it at all possible for a tutorial?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ericsktbrdr
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2006 10:14:25 AM »

gosh you peopel. ok.  jsut aminute
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ericsktbrdr
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006 10:56:46 AM »

TUTORIAL!!

Hopefully this makes some sort of sense!

MATERIALS: Cotton Jersey Knit f/ waistband (you may be able to recycle a t-shirt), Cotton weave of sometype for the bottom part (could be a lightweight suiting, novelty print, etc. or maybe you could recycle a bed sheet if not too thin or a curtains if not too thick), Lightweight Fusible Interfacing for buttons area, Some buttons, Double Fold Bias Tape for the hem.

Ok, so you need you need two measurements.  If you look at pieces 1, 2, and 3, these are all for the wasteband and are cut out of cotton knit.  pieces 2 and 3 can be accomplished by cutting two #1 pieces at the same time, and then just cutting one of those in half.  Anyhow, you are going to cut an hourglass type shape, which will eventually be folded in half when sewn.  Depending on how tall you are you may wish to have your wast band a different length.  The one I made was about 8" long i believe.  So if you want it like the one I made, piece one will be 16" tall.  Measurement A = hip divided by 2 , and Measurement B = Waistdivided by 2 minus 3".  The cotton knit is stretchy so it will stretch to fit.  You probably shall not need elastic to keep the skirt on. 

SEW the indented ends of pieces 2 and 3 to the indented ends of piece 1.

Pieces 5 are light fusible interfacing.  this is to make the 'placket' kind of like on a polo shirt, for where the buttons go.  Its for stiffening up the placket it so it doesnt stretch funny and look weird when the skirt is worn.  You need 2 pieces about 3/4"-1" wide and almost as long as you want your waste band to be, so we'll say in my example they are 7" long.  Iron one piece each, on the flat ends of of pieces 2 and 3 in the bottom corners, about 1/4" from the edges (seam allowance).

Fold the waste band inside out in half and Sew the flat ends of 2 and 3.  Turn it all back inside out and it should start looking quite nice!

Now to finish the placket.  Overlap the ends of the waste band by ~1", basically overlapping the interfaced sections.  Baste the bottom of the waste band where the placket is, so a quick little 1" long stitching.  Now create Buttonholes on the front part of the placket, and attach your buttons to the inside part of the placket.  Your on your own on that one.

WAISTBAND COMPLETE!

To finish the rest you need pieces 7 and 8.  I used lightweight suiting, but you can use basically anything for this part.  The long side is the full width of the fabric, say 45" or 54", what ever it comes in.  The length... thats up to you.  If you want a mini skirt, this may end up only being six or eight inches long, or maybe you want it down to the ankles and make it 30 inches long.  In my example it was 18" long about.  Anyways, refer to the bottom illustration to see how the bottom parts are folded.  Your going to have to do some math here.
If your hips divided by 2 is say.... 20 inches (40 inch hip), then we need to fold each piece down to that width.  actually, we want to ad a couple inches to that.  when we attach it to the waistband the waist band can stretch, so we'll add a couple inches to this part for a more forgiving fit.  otherwise if something goes a little two tight theres nothing you can do because the weave wont stretch like the knit part.
Anyhow, lets pretend we are using 45" wide fabric, and 40 inch hip.

40 inches divided by 2 = 20" plus we had 2" for safety
the illustration shows how i folded it.  depending on how much or how little you need to fold it down too... you may get pleats that butt up against each other, or you may have 2" gaps between each pleat.  Whatever you end up with is fine, as long as it end sup being the right width.

Pin pleats in place and baste them.

You should now have two pleated pieces of the appropriate width.
Sew the ends of the two pieces together!

Next Hem the bottom edge.  You can hem normally, but in my case I decided to attach 1/4" double fold bias tape using a wide zigzag stitch, for contrast and it came out very very nice.

Bottom piece complete!

Sew the bottom to the waste band, button 'er up, and put it on!!

Ok, hope that explains it all well.  I think depending on how fast or slow you work, you can amke this skirt in 1-3 hours.  I think it took me about 2 hours but i cant remember.

So since I bothered to make this tutorial I EXPECT someone to make it, and I want to see it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer Festival Style Tips
When Should Style Wear The Pants In Politics?
How Does Gender Play Into The Politics Of Style?
The Zoe Report: Caftans
MMVA 2014: Most Memorable Red Carpet Looks
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...