A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,144
Currently Running With Scissors:
398 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Embroidery Stitch Video Tutorials...  (Read 1068 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TreeCactus

www.needlenthread.com

View Profile WWW
« on: October 22, 2006 07:43:17 PM »

Ok, so I finally figured it out - I've been musing for a while about how to get video clips to look "ok" and put them online.

I'm starting to put together a video library of stitches, for people to learn basic embroidery stitches.

I'll be posting a few stitches a week, until I fill up my list - and then, if I can keep up the pace, I'll go to the more complicated stuff.

If you want to check out some video clips on stitches, here's the index:

http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10/video-library-of-hand-embroidery.html

And here's the first video tutorial, which is on the running stitch. I'll add stem stitch tomorrow!

http://www.needlenthread.com/2006/10/embroidery-stitch-video-tutorial.html

Please let me know what you think! Is it a good idea, or a waste of time? What can I do to improve the concept? What stitches would you like to see, etc..... I'm all ears!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree
x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x-x
http://www.needlenthread.com
Neophyte282
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2006 07:16:23 AM »

This is a great idea! First video was good. Smiley Looks like you have a good list of stitches so far. I like how you showed how to end the stitch. Myabe you can show how to start for us newbies out there?

I'll be checking back to your site regularly! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Punk*Out
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006 07:20:22 AM »

thats awesome. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.wists.com/PunkOut

Personal Swap:
~Looking for someone to make me some wooden dowel rod dpns (sets of 5), need ALL sizes.
~Also, looking for knitting stitch markers, handmade of course. Wink
elizabethdee
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2006 10:54:46 AM »

this is a wonderful plan. you can be the embroidery teacher everyone is looking for! i just looked at your video on how to do the running stitch, and it's great. it's generous of you to invest your time this way.

the dictionary looks good to me. i'd also be interested in seeing applications of some of the stitches (how do you get the old bullion knot to curve and stay flat, exactly?).

the only suggestion i would make is *perhaps* adding a section on preliminaries. a true beginner wouldn't know how to choose a good fabric or match the needle to the floss (or is it crewel wool you're using? i couldn't tell). you might have all this written down, but if people just click onto your video library, they might want a section covering these things too.

now, could you please tell me how you find the time to work in your very demanding job, embroider your lovely and elaborate pieces AND maintain such a great site?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2006 10:58:03 AM »

bookmarked you  you  wonderful person!  thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
TreeCactus

www.needlenthread.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006 11:11:09 AM »

Great ideas! Thanks!!

I've got a tutorial set up but not edited yet on working with stranded embroidery floss - separating the floss easily seems to be a hitch for most of my students - and I'll definitely do one on beginning the threads without using a permanent knot.

I think it would be difficult to do a video on choosing fabrics, needles, and threads, but I have a couple articles in the works on just those subjects - again, not edited yet, but as soon as they are, I'll put them on.

As for balancing the time ---- rrrgh. That's the big question right now, and for the next two weeks, after which work will slow down a little. The first quarter of the school year ends next week (I'm an English teacher for my "real" job!), so I'm pretty swamped right now.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree
jloveg
Tutorial Contributor

GOD LOVES YOU AND SO DO I!!!

need me email me! jat42171@yahoo.com

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006 11:17:11 AM »

well I for sure will be  patiently  waiting....   I am  jsut this week trying to  learn hand embroidery and  all the  patterns I  find are for machine digital stuff. SO this  is  right up  where I want to be....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

looking for instant coffee from australia or russia made with mustard and champagne.  VIOLET CRUMBLES and VEGEMITE would be welcome swap items!!
jenne_girle
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2006 03:26:36 PM »

you  wonderful person!

ITTA!

Really looking forward to the development of the listed videos... and the first one looks smashing, btw. Whatever you did to get the quality right, it worked!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kittykill
Global Moderator
Guest Blogger
Needlework Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I got 99 problems, but a stitch ain't one.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2006 08:16:52 PM »

such a great idea! It is so nice to see someone actually do the stitch instead of hoping you did it right by the book. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TreeCactus

www.needlenthread.com

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006 04:06:59 AM »

I'm REALLY glad everyone likes the idea! As long as people will use it, then it's worthwhile. At first I was worried it would be a huge waste of time - that people would say, "Oh please.... that's what books are for!"

And then there's the whole issue of having to listen to my own voice. Urgh!!

But it really is worth it if it helps people learn and they like the concept! Then it becomes kinda fun!

Thanks again for the encouragement...!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tree
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Play Day Tripper on a Guitar
How to Play All My Loving on a Guitar
How to Play Yesterday on a Guitar
And I Love Her - Easy Rhythm Guitar Lesson
How to Play House of the Rising Sun on an Acoustic Guitar
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...