A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 299,136
Currently Running With Scissors:
387 Guests and 3 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Gilmore Girls Swap Round 3  (Read 7742 times)
Tags for this thread: gilmore_girls , tv  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cumber1137
Livin' to swap

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2006 03:03:23 PM »

Yeah I loved the box and the quotes in it.

The last card is Weson's Bakery (R.I.P. Fran)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wist --> http://www.wists.com/cumber1137

"Huzza for the tipper with the squished up boobs" - Luke from Gilmore Girls.
indie-knitter

new slang, when you notice the stripes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2006 03:41:50 PM »

I came home to a package with my name on it outside the door (this hardly ever happens) and it contained......guess what.......my swap goodies from Sabertooth Pixie! Here they are:

Awesome coffee and dragonfly earrings plus a dragonfly pen (I'm wearing the coffee ones right now)

And a really cool clear-duct-tape clutch with pictures of Rory on the front

Thanks Sabertooth!
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006 03:43:33 PM by indie-knitter » THIS ROCKS   Logged

documenting my addiction to yarn and needles at http://www.indieknits.wordpress.com/

Will personal swap for Interweave Knits Winter '06! Please PM me if you have a copy!
cumber1137
Livin' to swap

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2006 07:11:55 PM »

Were the earrings made with sculpey? Those are awesome!! What made them so shiney. The clutch is adorable too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indie-knitter

new slang, when you notice the stripes...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2006 07:17:10 PM »

I don't know if I'm right but they seemed like fimo or sculpey to me and I think that they're covered in sparkly nail polish  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

documenting my addiction to yarn and needles at http://www.indieknits.wordpress.com/

Will personal swap for Interweave Knits Winter '06! Please PM me if you have a copy!
Sabertooth Pixie
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2006 07:28:11 PM »

I'm so glad you enjoyed everything! Yes the earrings and pen were made with sculpy and then I covered all the dragonfly stuff with glittery nail polish...and the coffee cups with clear nail polish (cause coffee isn't sparkly unless you've had too much... Tongue) and then the clutch is also lined in foil...(thats the silvery stuff) so the goverment can't track your new 10 and 20 dollar bills that have the microchips in them... Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kpuppy
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2006 07:45:11 PM »

I usually cover my fimo earrings with a fine layer of gel glue and water. It also makes them shiny...but glittery nailpolish is an AWESOME idea! I'll try that next time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cumber1137
Livin' to swap

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2006 05:05:45 AM »

I always thought i  had to cover my sculpey things with the stuff they make for it, but now im gonna go get some 99 cent nail polish, horay
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2006 12:22:45 PM »

I always thought i  had to cover my sculpey things with the stuff they make for it, but now im gonna go get some 99 cent nail polish...

Just a small warning about this... some kinds of nail polish will work on baked polymer clay, but some won't. .. IOW, those which are water-based are fine (acrylic), but those that are petroleum-solvent based aren't. 
What will happen with those is that they may look fine in the beginning, but they either won't dry thoroughly, or they will actually begin to eat into the polymer clay below, making the finish feeling sticky ...over even more time, they will begin to dissolve the clay big time and make a gooey mess. 
These changes may not be visible from the surface for up to 6 months though, depending on different variables.

Here's some info from my website about using fingernail polishes with polymer clay that may help:

acrylic fingernail polish does fine on polymer clay
.....however, "enamel" nail polish is usually a no no, and can turn sticky up to 6 months later
.........(whether a polish is acrylic is often indicated somewhere on the bottle, but may not be)
...nail polish intended for use on fake acrylic fingernails should be fine, I assume (??)
...or should be possible, if necessary, to coat first with an acrylic liquid (even thinned white glue), and then apply the enamel polish over it (only on those areas protected by the acrylic though)
...a good brand of fingernail polish also won't yellow (I use Revlon, for example, and I have pieces 6 years old that are holding up a look great) ...some polishes will turn yellow though, especially cheaper brands (prob. from too much exposure to ultraviolet light?)
...btw, Maybelline Wet Shine is an acrylic polish, so it's safe to use... I've been using it on clay and painted wood items for about a year. No stickiness, it doesn't peel off and it doesn't seem to change color. Connie
....... love the look of Wet Shine, very wet looking and glassy
....... I also want to use it as a top coat, over Varathane (large areas are easier to cover with the Varathane first) , and also over Polyglaze because it requires a sealer to avoiding becoming cloudy from body oils or moisture)
........Wet Shine it adds that wet look that really makes the piece and colors pop ...a dichroic glass look is helped by the additional glossiness. Nancy

Btw, sparkly or fancy nail polishes work fine as long as they're acrylic, but there are other ways of getting the same  great result:
1...use metallic or other fancy acrylic paints
2...make your own metallic or glittery paints by mixing things like metallic mica powders (Pearl Ex, etc.) or embossing powders, or microfine glitters (the ones intended for use on fabrics so they're heat resistant), and other things into some kind of clear acrylic as a carrier. 
......clear acrylic carriers would include things like Future (a floor polish) and Varathane (a brand of wood finish) --commonly used by clayers because they work well and are cheap,  Fimo or Sculpey's brands of clear finishes, white glues (applied thinly, will dry perfectly clear), and UTEE or acrylic gel mediums (though they're more easily scratchable)... also things like liquid polymer clay (though that must be baked again since it will never "dry"), two-part epoxy resins (though must allow those 24 hrs to cure), etc.
(Most of those will be naturally glossy, some won't)

If you want to check out all the clear finishes that work well with polymer clay (and warnings about some that don't), check out this page:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/finishes.htm

And for using things like metallic powders or "inclusions" of glitters as "paints," look here:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/paints.htm
(...click on As Paints especially ...)

Be aware though that no sealer or finish is ever needed on baked polymer clay unless there's something that won't stay on by itself when applied to raw clay (and there aren't a lot of those things, if properly applied). 
(and btw, sanding-and-buffing are another way to get a glossy finish on clay if you just want to make the clay itself shiny or give it a nice sheen)

Have fun!

Diane B.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
Kpuppy
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2006 01:20:08 PM »

WOW! Thanks so much for that! I'm going to bookmark this so I can find it later!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cumber1137
Livin' to swap

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2006 01:51:39 PM »

so what would be some good brands/kinds of nail polish to buy when Im at the store?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Beanie Hat
How to Crochet Cell Phone Protector
How to Crochet an iPhone Purse
How to Use Voile in Sewing Projects
Preparing and Marking Fabric for Sewing Projects
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...