A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 297,189
Currently Running With Scissors:
469 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Silverware  (Read 2496 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

daisyannissa
« on: October 22, 2006 12:40:30 PM »

Hola!

I have about 5 spoons and 3 forks made out of silver that I need to use for something. I'd love to make spoon jewelry (rings, etc) but don't know how- does anyone make jewelry with silverware on here that would be willing to let me know how you go about doing it?

As for the forks, I'm completely lost, there. Is there a good craft to do with forks?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Kaos
A random assortment of artistic delicacies.

Photo editors are dangerous...

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2006 12:42:00 PM »

Windchime?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WearingTheInsideOut
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2006 06:30:32 PM »

someone once told me they would make me a fork bracelet. but i forget who they are and it never happened, but i assume you could bend a fork into a pretty nifty bracelet. i dont know if you'd wear it but i certainly would. or you could always build a robot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Fairy-tales are nice" -syd barrett
daisyannissa
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2006 12:41:13 PM »

OOOO, ROBOT!

Hahaha. I just don't know how to bend the spoons/forks effectively. I was thinking of just trying to heat them with my mini-blow torch thingie and then bending them, but I don't know if that's somehow wrong or... I have no idea.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WearingTheInsideOut
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2006 03:33:18 PM »

i would just use my super strength, personally, but you may have to use other techniques.

have you ever watched a tin bracelet being made?
i have, and they have a wrist moulder thing, which is really just a horizontal metal cylinder (wrist size of course) and they just hammer and hammer until it shapes into a bracelet, i'd try hammering
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Fairy-tales are nice" -syd barrett
HappyVegan
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2006 07:17:02 AM »

It depends on what the silverware's made of.  Dining hall silverware, for example, is generally really cheap, and you can just bend it by hand or with pliers.  Heavier stainless steel silverware can be really hard to bend, and heating it up can discolor it.  I've used a bracelet form (a heavy metal tube) and just hammered away with a plastic hammer (unless you want the hammered texture), and it can be bent without heating depending on the weight, but heating it up will definitely help if you don't mind the possible discoloration. 

Just remember, as you hammer it, it'll realign the molecules so it'll get harder, so you may have to reheat a few times as you go (and you don't have to hammer it while it's hot--you're not blacksmithing, you're just sort of messing with the molecules so that the metal's more malleable).  You're going to need something heavy and wrist or finger-shaped to hammer around, though!  Good luck!

ETA: just noticed you said "made out of silver."  In that case, it shouldn't be too hard to hammer into shape.  If it's just silver plated, though, it could be tough going depending on how delicate it is, and you should be especially careful not to heat it so much that you get discolored spots.   
« Last Edit: October 27, 2006 07:19:09 AM by HappyVegan » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jennyleigh

So many projects. So little time.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2006 06:59:19 AM »

Fork can be bent into neat easels for pictures or place cards.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c335/ssdmom/forkeasel.jpg
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cataway

we love puddin tats and runny babbits!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2006 12:47:21 PM »

forks can also be made into curtain tiebacks, just bend the outside tines sideways into flat loops to be used as screwholders and twirl up the inner tines just to be pretty.  Then bend the handle towards the tines and voila! install in horizontal position as a curtain tieback or vertically in the kitchen for a towel or apron hook.  kinda has a nightmare before christmas or corpse bride feel to them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Pretty Pistol
Pretty Pistol

Doe Raemie

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2006 10:32:38 AM »

weve had spoons in the past that bent when they got too  hot , so heating and bending may work. cheap things bend easy.. but some of those big old heavy pieces dont.   

i made two wind chimes out of some old silverware...  my dad drilled holes in the ends of them all with his giant drill press... always thrilled to drill holes in something that shouldnt have holes drilled in it.

try scooping out some really cold icecream, thats how i always bend my spoons.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Such a Pretty Pistol
wealhtheow
if this isn't nice, what is?

ting-a-ling, you bastards!

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2006 03:45:35 PM »

Well, I'm sorry to say I didn't make this, but I did purchase it at a craft fair and it accompanies me to work at least 3 days out of the week. :-) It looks relatively simple to make -- I believe it is probably heated (butane torch?) and bent repeatedly until the "fork/spoon part" falls off (possible hacksawed), then bent around a mold, filed and heated at the ends to smooth, then small holes are drilled in both ends of both pieces and hardware/beads are added.  I haven't tried it yet, but plan to sometime in the future.  The coolest feature of this bracelet is that it has magnetic clasps, so all you do is drape it over your wrist and it closes for you. :-)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Deciding Which Yarn to Use
How to Weave at Ends
How to Make a Slip Knot
How to Do a Purl Stitch
How to Do a Garter Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...