A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,117
Currently Running With Scissors:
518 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: I am SO FRUSTRATED with ETSY! AAK!  (Read 2859 times)
Tags for this thread: product_photography  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

TickleTickle
My Kids...My Life

One in 150Children have Autism. I am blessed. <3

View Profile
« on: October 21, 2006 11:16:39 PM »

OK.  My stuff sells like hotcakes.  In PERSON.  BUT...and I seriously think it's only because I SUCK at photography...my store is floundering. 

I just do NOT get it.  I make cool, unique items.  My things are quality.  I really thought I'd do better.  WHY OH WHY??

Anyone else feel like I do?  Or is it just me..

Sad

Karen
Frustrated Etsy Seller
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiph_thompson

Can't. Stop. Making. Things.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006 11:28:28 PM »

Yeah, the thing with Etsy is that there's like 25000 people selling cool, unique items.  It can be overwhelming and hard to get noticed, I think.  In daily life, not everybody around you can make cool things with their hands, especially nice fused glass things  Wink, but at Etsy, the bar is raised some because everybody there can.  You have to encourage business to your site in particular.  (not like i actually know this, i'm brand new there, but that's what i worry about, anyway)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine brings all the boys to the yard.

You'll find the fruits of my labor here:
www.odkins.etsy.com

Great vintage fabrics, books, supplies:
www.TheHaps.etsy.com
TickleTickle
My Kids...My Life

One in 150Children have Autism. I am blessed. <3

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006 11:55:34 PM »

awww thank you so much for the encouragement!  You're right.  UGH.  It's funny, I actually sold a necklace off of my neck at the grocery store yesterday..maybe it's regional, I dunno.  I just am so darn frustrated.  I just started listing things within the past month, so maybe things will pick up for me, until then, I'll just try to be ..

P A T I E N T!

Smiley

Karen
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lilgothkatt
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2006 02:08:05 AM »

glass can be hard to photograph sometimes. I suggest you use a black background a LOT of light. use diffused lighting from all angles. Example: take some of those big halogen work lights and point them away from the item you are photographing. Have some friends hold up white poster board reflecting the light onto your item. OR I think there a tutorial on Instructables.com for a light box. Good photos do make the difference
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.Ibreedsockmonkeys.etsy.com

www.wists.com/lilgothkatt

I have a bunch of vintage linens for trade. Looking for neat halloween fabrics, day of the dead stuff, star wars stuff.
Colorfuldayz
Colorfuldayz

www.Colorfuldayz.com

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2006 08:50:11 AM »

I have no experience selling off Etsy, but I did go to your site so, for what it is worth I agree with lilgothkatt that black might work better for you. Your items were getting totally watered down (visually speaking) by your background, which would cause me to not buy and to move on to someone with more clear, vibrant photos.

I ran a search last week on light boxes for my husband and there are sites out there with good instructions for cheap, small, DIY lightboxes.  Here are a few of the ones I found more useful:

http://www.studiolighting.net/homemade-light-box-for-product-photography/
http://www.dennisonbertram.com/hackmaster/2005/02/macro-light-box.htm
http://photodoto.com/index.php/2006/09/15/create-your-own-light-box/

Hope it helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

crey23
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2006 07:48:25 AM »

Are you promoting your shop? Its not enough to sit and be patient. Theres so much to get lost in in Etsy.Right now theres 200 pages of glass.  Are you staggering when you list items? Say you list 20 items in one day. By the next day they're all going to be burried onto page 3. Next week...Page 20. How far do you think people are willing to browse to? If you list one or two pieces every day it keeps an item in the first few pages. That will draw people to your shop.

Dont get discouraged you things are beautiful! Good Luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

batgirl
Global Moderator
Occasions and Holidays Moderator

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Part Librarian, Part Superhero

Stop Pinning, Start Making.

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2006 12:55:27 PM »

It might cheer you up to know that at this very moment I am wearing your cotton candy pendant and I LOVE it. I get lots of compliments on it and I always tell them where it came from. Hang in there!  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Just added lots of new items! Use coupon code "craftster" for 10% off! http://www.LilyLovesBernie.etsy.com
 50 Things
wren2000
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006 09:14:06 PM »

Your stuff is gorgeous. I also think your photos are just fine. This is my favorite:

http://www.etsy.com/view_item.php?listing_id=552616

I am having the same problem, online. I promote and promote but no sales. I'm waiting for the holiday seasong as everyone says it changes as you get closer. I don't know what to do after that.

I also don't think it's fair that you get a split second of exposure when you list an item. Maybe v2 will have more exposure for everyone, not just top sellers. (the rich get richer lol )

Just my 2 cents.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fizerfaeryart
Fairy and Fantasy Art by Stephanie Fizer

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2006 08:47:12 AM »

there seems to be a general sales slum on Etsy right now.  hopefully it's a pre-holiday thing and everything will be bustling in November and December.  until then, just keep promoting like crazy to get your shop noticed Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tiph_thompson

Can't. Stop. Making. Things.

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2006 09:09:09 AM »

I also don't think it's fair that you get a split second of exposure when you list an item. Maybe v2 will have more exposure for everyone, not just top sellers. (the rich get richer lol )

Just my 2 cents.

*confused* Why wouldn't you want new things you list to get a minute of exposure? I don't think that system favors top sellers, quite the opposite...it's a moment where it doesn't matter how many things you've sold or how popular your site is, your item is guaranteed a little moment in the sun.  I count on that to bring new people to my site, and i try to use it to my advantage by listing new things pretty regularly.  (I'm still new there, but this makes sense to me.) 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing machine brings all the boys to the yard.

You'll find the fruits of my labor here:
www.odkins.etsy.com

Great vintage fabrics, books, supplies:
www.TheHaps.etsy.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter M
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter P
How to Draw the Graffiti Letter Q
How to Create a 3D Effect in Graffiti
How to Avoid Drips in Graffiti
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!
Spotlight on: Woodburning

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...