A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 302,552
Currently Running With Scissors:
807 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: questions regarding a Brother Charger 651  (Read 4044 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilfishyinbigblu
« on: October 21, 2006 06:00:20 AM »

so i picked up this beautiful old sewing machine at salvation army yesterday. and i was wondering if any one knows anything about it because it didn't come with directions. I an not a great seamstress, i mainly have been using my moms "old" but not this old machine, so i have a lot of questions as to the functions of it. Ive been searching on line and found how to thread it, but thats about it. it works pretty well, the Balance wheel doesn't turn very well I'm guessing it needs oil? my significant other said he would try and figure that part out later on today. Here is a picture of her

Here are my questions This little knob pops up, is it the reverse button? it not what is it?

does this knob change the tension? or size of stitches?

Next many levers and knobs, the top one on the left seems to change where the needle is? maybe its not supposed to do that?

if any one has any other usefull things i should know definitely tell me
Thank you all so much in advanced
Jain
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006 06:02:59 AM by lilfishyinbigblu » THIS ROCKS   Logged
cyndiq
i am aka sewsweet08 on yt come say hi

aussie craftster

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2006 07:52:42 AM »

The silver button on the left looks like tension to me. The top button is like a pressure thing you usually dont touch on my machine. Guess the needle position one is exactly that. Does the big brown button on right pushin for reverse? so does it just do straight? interesting, love to see what does what lol. u r brave with out the book. cyndi
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craftylittlemonkey
"Be yourself, everyone else is already taken." Oscar Wilde

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006 08:08:49 AM »

you can often find manuals for old machines online

http://sewing.about.com/library/weekly/aa030900a.htm

a good repair person can tell you a lot about your machine as well. i recommend having it serviced before you waste any time trying to figure it out on your own anyhow, regular servicing is very important with any machine. it gets cleaned up, lined up, looked over etc and the repair person can tell you if they have any compatible parts or accessories as well. in my town the lady who works at the fabric store gives free lessons to people who are interested, she comes right to your house and helps you make stuff. bet you could find someone like that in your community.

good luck figuring it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The bad news: There is no key to happiness.
The good news: It isn't locked.
SunshynDzyne
Hoarder of Fabric Extraordinaire

happily lost somewhere in a pile of fabric

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006 08:39:09 AM »

I have my mom's old machine, which isn't as old as this one but looks a lot like it. I can't remember what the little knob on the top does but it's always up on mine, not pushed in.I actually don't remember the machine doing anything different whether it was up or down...might have something to do w/ darning if you're using that function?? 
The silver knob on the left with the numbers is definitely the tention. The other silver knob on the top in your last picture might be your different stiches.Mine looks a bit different but that's what mine is for and if it's moving your needle then it makes sense.

The other knob in the picture should then be your stitch length most likely, and if you check the center part of it, try pushing that in, if it is a button that you can push in, then that part is your reverse function. On mine I have to hold it in when I want to use it, it doesn't just stay in. I still don't know if that's normal or something wonky with my machine thought since I've never used any machine but this one.

Hope that helps a bit! Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged

stephyb
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006 10:15:41 AM »

that looks aot like mine only its a montgumery ward
the buton on top sets the pressure on the foot against the fabric i use mine alot, helpful for bulky things like layers of denium and canvas and plush fabric for animals ot terry.
the left knobby is the stich tension
the right smaller knobbt/lever thingy is the stitch selector and needle position
 the bigger right knobbt is stich length and reverse, press and hold the center for reverse.
the knobby on the right at the very bottom is to switch the feed dogs on and off for darning/krewl work if you turn that you will have to feed the fabric yourself. i use this option for quilting instead of a walking foot or blind foot since they wont fit my machine.

i love the colors of your new machine, ive been thinking of painting mine for awhile.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
stephyb
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006 10:23:44 AM »

oh i forgot
since it looks like you have an extenal motor and belt be carful putting things next to it: cat tails can be pulled easily on the belt. Sad
i use large rubber band for belts on mine because real belts dont seem to fitand they are a pain to replace since i have to take the motor loose then add change the belt and re tighten the motor but i cant keep the belt tension and then the belt gets too loose.  So i found rubber bands work well for replacements 2 at a time.
before you use it make sure you have the right power for it or have it rewiredor use a power strip. some older machines can suck power or have really old wiring that needs to be checked. aluminum wiring and cause fires, (moms old house burned down from a fire caused by her machine ((freaky i know))) grounding is important.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilfishyinbigblu
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006 03:06:19 PM »

thank you so much every one who responded! one of the things i love best about crafter is how fast you get a responce, i have figured out how to reverse, by pushing in the brown button. we also have got it working and i am starting on making my halloween costume. hehehe it should be intresting to see how it goes. thank you all again so much for your help. i will bring it to a repair person once i am on brake from college, but my college is in the middle of no where, and i have looked for a repair place, but there are none close by. as for the power i am only keeping it plugged in when i am using it. being wicked paranoid to begin with i hardly ever keep anything plugged in when im not using it so that should reduce any hazards that might come up.
thanks again
Jain
THIS ROCKS   Logged
TheDishclothQueen
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2006 09:02:51 AM »

In terms of oiling, that's relatively simple.  On most older machines (but not all) the side cover (that covers the light on some, and is right to the upper left of the needle) and the top cover will open up.  If those will open, do so. 

Now get some sewing machine oil.   It MUST be sewing machine oil.  No WD40, no 3-in-one, etc.... those are BAD for your machine.  Sewing machine oil.

Turn the hand crank on your machine.  Look carefully inside the machine for anything that moves.  Place ONE drop of oil on each of the moving parts.  Close the covers.  Flip the machine over (so you're looking at the bottom) and do the same thing.

If you google, I'm sure you find some oiling diagrams for some older machines.  While there will be some differences, the basics are the same and will give you a starting place.

Right now, I am insanely jealous that you have a brown and pink sewing machine!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Making an effort to use proper English and not 'net slang makes me much more willing to respond to your post.
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Voguepedia - The Doc With Hairstylist Guido Palau
Voguepedia - The Doc With Andrew Bolton
From the Vogue Closet - How to Pull Off a Hat
Jeanius - Chioma Nnadi on White Jeans
From the Vogue Closet - How to Wear a Baseball Jacket
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...