A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 302,549
Currently Running With Scissors:
740 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Recycled fabrics - a variety of simple totes  (Read 899 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

almond
« on: January 13, 2008 06:38:41 AM »

I don't pretend to have the skills of some of you people, but here are some things I have been making recently:

A bag for carrying toys to garndma's house::

A bag for looking elegantly retro:

A bag for a Lady to shop with:

A goldtastic little bag:

I love making them - all from recycled fabrics such as curtains, duvet covers or roll ends.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RecycleCindy

My Signature Recycled Bag

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2008 11:38:10 AM »

All of your bags are fantastic. I love that you used recycled materials too. Isn't it fun to re-purpose old things into something new and reusable? I think your stuff is wonderful!
« Last Edit: January 13, 2008 03:26:28 PM by RecycleCindy » THIS ROCKS   Logged

RecycleCindy
http://www.myrecycledbags.com
My Website dedicated to recycling & crafting
Free patterns & ideas for recycled crafts!
dreamsseen
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2008 12:04:54 PM »

I love them all. I am trying to teach myself how to sew and would love to know more details about how you created them. Did you use material from old shirts or sheets or... ? Did you line them or put anything extra into the handles?

They are all beautiful. Thank you for sharing. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
almond
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2008 02:23:17 PM »

OK, an off-the-cuff tute...

I use all kinds of fabrics - curtains work well because they have a bit of stiffness to them, but duvet covers can be cool too, though more floppy.

The basic shape is a rectangle, you choose the size to suit the bag you want and the fabric you have.  Just don't make it so big that it will drag on the floor (I did that once) or so small that you can't fit anything through the opening (I did that too  Roll Eyes).  I try to cut them in a way that suits the pattern on the fabric - the oriental red design wastes a lot of fabric in order to centralise the design.

I don't line the bags and they don't have any way of closing them (I hope to learn that soon!).  So just pin them right sides together and sew 3 sides.  You cut 2 long rectangles for handles - again, judge the length yourself.  I like to carry mine in my hand rather than on my shoulder, so I don't want the handles too big.

I fold one third of the strap in to the middle, then fold the other third in half and then over - so there is no raw edge showing - and stitch along the join. Then place the strap on the open edge of your bag and position it so it will be centred and so that it is a comfortable length.  Turn in bag edge over twice so that the strap is double caught under for strength.  Pin both strap points on each side of the bag (ie each strap twice - each end of the strap)  and then turn the rest of the bag edge to match all round.  Sew all round.  NB The fabric where the straps are will be bulky so slow down here.

Last of all, fold the straps so they lie pointing upwards and stitch a box and an X at the strap anchor points.

I hope that makes sense - please ask if I need to make anything clearer!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dreamsseen
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2008 08:58:58 AM »

It makes wonderful perfect sense. Thank you so much. As soon as I get brave enough, I will give it a shot and let you know how it turns out.

I really appreciate the time you took to explain everything to me. It was very kind of you!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Using a Pencil Sketch of the Tiger Face
How to Apply Base Coat for Tiger Face Makeup
Tools for Creating a Tiger Face
How to Apply Molding Wax for Constume Makeup
Costume Makeup - Finishing the Scarred Joker
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...