A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 307,962
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: unfinished quilt from auction  (Read 743 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

guster
« on: October 20, 2006 07:18:28 PM »

My grandma just gave me a bunch of unfinished quilt pieces she got at an auction a long time ago.  Even though these aren't my taste, I really like the idea of finishing a project someone already put a lot of time and love into.  What did the original owner intend to do with these???

There are 3 different sizes of flowers, I assume to be appliqued.  What are these flowers called?

Twenty large flowers, 12" across, mostly blue and another color:

Twenty-nine medium flowers, all colors:

The cardboard template for the center was in the bag.

Six small flowers, three finished, three not.  I didn't take pictures of them.  I'm pretty sure the projects ended with some frustration over the smaller flowers.  Two of the petals are sewn on backwards, and one of the flowers has too many petals...

Why so many flowers??  Does anyone know of a project that would have used ALL of them?  Or, was this person making flowers for more than one project at a time?  Why 29 medium flowers?  Am I missing one?

Any thoughts about what this person had planned would be greatly appreciated.  Smiley

The other mysterious thing I got were these four panels.  All four only having binding to finish the edge on the bottom.  One is going the opposite direction than the rest.  What were they going to be used for??  (They look like placemats to me, but why weren't all sides finished at once?)

« Last Edit: July 13, 2010 12:56:10 PM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Marmish

Quincy the Pug

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006 08:14:23 PM »

The "flowers" look like Dresden plate to me.  I think they were for different projects and that you are missing a medium one.  Could the 4 squares be for a wallhanging?  The binding on them confuses me, too.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PirateKisses

Love shines in her eyes.....

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006 08:18:54 PM »

you could make the flowers into round pillows.....maybe as gifts, or to keep or sell? the squares you could make into a small blanket or trade them? (p.s. I wouldnt mind trading for the squares.....)...maybe use some white or cream fabric with them?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I AM GETTING MARRIED ON AUGUST 13TH!!!
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Etched Glasses
Horror Movie Crafts
August 24, 2016 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...