A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 297,065
Currently Running With Scissors:
442 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [All]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: new mag: yarn forward  (Read 2529 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

erincatherine
« on: October 20, 2006 05:29:10 PM »

has anyone received this new mag?  http://yarnforwardmagazine.co.uk/  it seems like a great idea, and supporting the gals who bring us magknits really appeals to me, but since there have been zero in the way of previews, and I am admittedly not super blown away/wanting more from the website design, I don't know what to expect.

ideas? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop! Zeitgeist Yarns: www.zeitgeistyarns.etsy.com

and my brand new blog: www.zeitgeistyarns.blogspot.com
ultraviolet
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006 05:56:31 PM »

Hmm, I don't know anything about it but the cover design is by Ysolda, who is here on craftster and makes really fantastic stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://blog.threegoodrats.com

"Beware the lustful fires that burn in a librarian's heart. They can rage beyond all control."
Rain_
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006 10:30:56 PM »

Mine arrived yesterday and I really liked it. It's obviously a first issue but they're setting themselves up with a really good format. Because it's independent there won't be many ads, a promise of no fun fur EVER and totally new designs in every issue that you won't have seen anywhere else.

There were patterns for:

A gorgeous long lace top by Ysolda Teague
A short sleeve top by Alice Bell
A vintage pattern for a short sleeved top with a collar
A cute crochet purse by Laura Hopwood
A top down knitting tutorial for a fitted raglan sweater by Alexandria Virgiel
Lace socks by Dee (from Posh Yarns)
A felted rug by Jennifer Hilton
A classic cardigan by Teresa Clark
A man's cable cardigan by Anna Bell
A stunning lace shawl (crochet) by Susan Powell
A really cute cropped and embroidered cardigan by Laura Long
A free online pattern for a bolero by Ysolda Teague

Articles were:
Knitting for your body size
The Story of Knitting
Knitting on the net
Trials and tribulations of designing knitwear
Felting
Spinning with a drop spindle
An article about Briitish Fleece

They also plan to do regular features such as book, web and shop reviews, a section on designing your own stuff, tips and tricks and competitions and whatnot

What I loved about it was each pattern comes with 3 yarn recommendations for 'cheap & cheerful', 'mid-range' and 'spoil yourself' prices, so it's easier to get something within your budget. The designers  are well known around the net so you know what sort of thing to expect from them.

It is intelligently written, not at all partronising and aimed squarely at  intermediate to advanced knitters. (About time in the UK). It's obvious from the blog that they are already taking on board suggestions and feedback for future issues.

Given that it's independent and doesn't have a huge budget I was really impressed. There's also a really good subscription deal for the year - buy 3 get one free with free shipping for 13.50 in the UK and 16.50 overseas (approx $31 US) that covers international airmail postage. The more people that subscribe early on, the more money they will have to pump into future issues so it can only get better and better. I can't wait for the next issue.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006 10:40:33 PM by Rain_ » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006 03:39:45 AM »

I just got my copy Smiley I'm totally biased but I love it. I'm so glad you did to Rain_

There are a few issues with design etc but considering it's the first issue of an independent magazine I think it's great. There aren't many adverts, and they're all carefully choosen. I can't stand the way most magazines tend to be little more than catalogues so this is great. Kerrie (the editor) makes it very clear that although a couple of the patterns in this issue use hipknits yarns she doesn't want the magazine to ever become a promotion for hipknits. Given that the only other remotely intelligent uk knitting magazine is Rowan that's an important point. Also importantly all the patterns will always be original, not just taken from previously published books. They're also very willing (and eager!) to take on board reader suggestions and they're all very friendly so if there is something you would like to see let them know.

There's quite a lengthy thread about the magazine here: http://www.knittingforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=9504 I'm sure that once people outside the uk have seen it more reviews will pop up.

Oh and because I know how talented some of you are the submissions deadline for the next issue is november the 15th.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

knitting patterns and all sorts of  crafty adventures: http://ysolda.me.uk
kjtendyke
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006 10:36:37 AM »

I kinda wish they showed better images of the garments that are in the magazine. Something like what Vogue and Interweave do with their preview pages. It would be nice to get an idea of what kinds of designs are in there.

Ysolda, do you know if they accept design submissions from the United States? I've never dealt with anything outside the states, so I don't know how that would work... They sound like fun people, so I'm thinking I might like to send something in.

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ysolda
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2006 11:47:28 AM »

Good question. I know that for the first issue Kerrie was trying to find designers from the UK, but I'm not sure whether she's planning on keeping it like that. Wouldn't hurt to send her an email though. As for the previews of patterns, I agree that that would be great. I know that they're planning on adding more stuff to the site this week and that they've been having problems with it. Hopefully more pics of the designs will be added.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

erincatherine
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2006 03:06:03 PM »

oh...thanks guys!  I really really want to support this mag -- I really agree w/ everything they stand for.  I rarely ever do the suggested yarn, and having the different yarn suggestions is the best idea.  I also love seeing Ysolda and Anna with patterns!  Congrats! 

I know they expressed wanting it to be a suprise, but like kjtendyke, I really wish for the first issue there were more previews.  (Like this new Interweave, for instance: had I not had a subscription, I would have totally gotten one just because of the preview, but the Vogue - nope). I like the independence of it, the affordability and what sounds like (I hope) lack of fun fur novelty crapola found in Knit1, etc. 

I hope it does well (and I may just ask for a year subscription for a gift!!!)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

check out my etsy shop! Zeitgeist Yarns: www.zeitgeistyarns.etsy.com

and my brand new blog: www.zeitgeistyarns.blogspot.com
AlliCat236
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2006 06:48:27 PM »

I looked around on the site but I couldn't figure out how to subscribe. How did you guys? Since I'm in the States, I really don't want to make a long distance call, if possible. Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
elvisneedsboats
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2006 07:03:38 PM »

AlliCat236:

http://www.yarnforwardmagazine.co.uk/subscribe.htm

Smiley

Michelle
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AlliCat236
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2006 06:56:17 AM »

Okay. Apparently I'm an idiot!  Grin  Thanks Michelle!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cranberry
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2006 02:53:58 PM »

Just based on the reviews on here and that linked review site, I've sent away for a copy. If I like what I see (and I think I shall, just with that article for the top down pattern), I'll definately take out a year's subscription if I'm bowled over.

I do hope that I get it soonish, just because.

It's good to have a magazine dedicated to intermediate and advanced knitters in the UK that isn't Rowan or Debbie Bliss.

Hurrah, it will be absolutely spiffing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Safetyfox
Neither safe, nor a fox.

Im in yr grden, drinkin yr beerz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2006 12:42:23 AM »

Yep I've just signed up for a year. UK knitting magazines are rubbish (well Rowan's OK but it's sooooo expensive). this one looks like it's going to be loads better. Thanks erincatherine for bringing it to my attention Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wait a minute, where's me jumper? On Ravelry of course.

Infrequently updated blog: safetyfox.blogspot.com
aschnebly
I'm AliceKathryn on Ravelry :)

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2007 06:20:45 PM »

Hey all!  I am just wondering if anyone has recieved their second issue yet?  The blog said it would be out early January, but I haven't recieved mine... I'm in the US though but it seems like from the looks of the blog it's dropped off the face of the earth (they haven't posted in over 2 months)...

I am just hoping that they get it out to us soon...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

frozenknitter
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2007 01:56:08 AM »

hmmm...
That's weird.  I really liked the first issue.  I was wondering when the second issue was going to come out.  Especially when starting a new magazine, I think it's important to not let your first customers and subscribers wondering what's going on.   Huh

i hope everything is ok.  I was really impressed with the format, designs, and articles in the previous issue.  It would stink if there weren't any more.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I admit it.  I blog. 
bunchkinknits.blogspot.com
ysolda
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2007 08:52:30 AM »

I haven't spoken to Kerrie (the editor) for a while, and I'm not involved in the second issue (because I'm too busy with uni, not for any other reason) but she posted on her blog on the 31st of January that she was expecting the magazine back from the printers 'any day now'.
http://kerriesplace.co.uk/weblog/ her personal blog seems to be a better place to find out what's happening than the magazine site

I do know that there were delays with the first issue and she wanted to avoid having to apologise etc for not having the second issue out on time by avoiding putting a specific date on it. The magazine is definitely continuing though, and it looks like issue 2 will be out soon.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2007 09:20:27 AM »

Yay!  Thanks for the info Ysolda, I am really looking forward to the upcoming issues.  I am glad to hear that it Issue 2 should be out soon!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2007 09:20:45 PM »

Has anyone recieved their second issue yet?  Looks like they took down the Blog area on the Yarn Forward website, but it says that the issue got sent out around April 18th.

I'm assuming atleast you gals in the UK would have your issues now?  How does it look?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Safetyfox
Neither safe, nor a fox.

Im in yr grden, drinkin yr beerz

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2007 06:13:11 AM »

Yep got it a couple of weeks ago. It's not bad, but as it's the winter issue it's a bit out of date! I think I would have liked to know why it's so late...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wait a minute, where's me jumper? On Ravelry of course.

Infrequently updated blog: safetyfox.blogspot.com
aschnebly

Yarnaholic

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2007 09:30:16 AM »

I am sad to say that I finally decided to ask for a refund of my money. 

I never recieved my "Winter" issue of the magazine, and even if I did, I dont know how excited I would be about it since it's 100 degrees outside.  Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [All] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How To Draw Clowns
How to Paint with Color
How To Draw A Raven
How To Draw A Guitar
How To Draw The Earth
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Decoupaged Table Top
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...