A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 296,743
Currently Running With Scissors:
468 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: futon covers and cushions - lots of photos & TUTORIAL  (Read 8028 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial , futon  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lilithsatyne
Silk Orchid Corsetry

View Profile WWW
« on: October 20, 2006 05:17:40 PM »

checker futon - sorry it's not a full picture, but you get the drift of what it looks like

this is where the zips played up on me. but from the front you wouldn't know that it wasn't perfect

pawprint futon, as modelled by Ava, she thinks it's very comfy

cushion for futon, Sox seems to approve

the links are to pictures of a futon and 2 covers that i've made.

i bought a futon, but hated the fabric, so i pulled it apart, and looked at it, and made the pattern from that, figured out the seams in order and put it together. i was quite happy with the results for both of them, although i wish the back seams came out a little neater. (i'm hoping to sell futon covers when i get a little better at it) they are fairly sturdy too (withstanding to wrestler types throwing each other onto them - the frame broke but the cover didn't even rip).

i made and stuffed each of the cushions as well, with a bit of help from mum.

this was a huge project, the first cover (checkboard) took me a few days to do the sewing and a couple of weeks to do the stuffing (procrastination) and the pawprint one took quite a while to cut (i don't have a very good cutting bench at my new house) and yeah, it was also a victim of my procrastination.

overall, the futons are fairly easy to make, but it does help to have an old cover with you so that you can look at the seams and placement of pockets inside the futons.

<b>Edit - Tutorial added</b>

i don't have sizes written down for the cushions, but i'll give you the sizes i used for my futon, and i'm sure you would be able to work out cushion sizes from there.

i used a black/plain coloured drill fabric for the back of my futon (is a little cheaper and nice and strong)

these sizes are in CM (i'm in Aus, but apparently there is a converter in Google)

Reqired fabric
(A)Two pieces of Patterned fabric = 134x17 - this is for your end piece
(B)Six pieces of Patterned fabric = 79x73 (including a 2cm seam allowance) - this is for your front
(C)Six pieces of Plain fabric = 79x73 (including a 2cm seam allowance) - this is for your back
(D)Four pieces of Plain or Patterned fabric = 53x17 (includes a 1cm seam allowance) - these are cushion seperators and are inside the futon, therefore it doesn't really matter what fabric you use, i just used my left overs from cutting the panels.
(E)One piece of Plain or Patterned fabric = 150 17 (includes a 1cm seam allowance) - this is also inside the futon.

4.5m of continous zipper (try to get a strong one, and one that is the same colour as your back panels), you then cut this in half and zig zag stitch them together so that you have a double zipper. i made mine with the zippers opening different ends, but i'm sure it would work with them opening at the same end.

Basic instructions

before i start, i'm going to save time by saying, that i finished (zig-zag stitched) all of my seams for strength, you don't have to do this, but i think it will help the fabric when you wash the cover.

this is a basic (not to scale) layout of the pattern pieces, which i hope will make it easier to follow my directions.

1) You want to B to C, vertically (these are the pieces that have NIL written between them) on Side A and also on Side B, but don't join the two sides together yet.
2) Now join the B/C pieces on each side (these are the pieces with (Plain D) in between them. now you should have two big six panel sides.

it should look a little bit like this

3)

You want to pin (D) to the B/C join, on the red line, but DO NOT SEW you are only pinning here to get the distance right. you should be putting the 17cm side to the red line so that if you folded (D) in half lengthwise half would be on each side.

Then pin (D) to the (B) side matching up the blue lines. match the edge of (D) up to the B/B seam so that it runs even, then refinish that edge. repeat the process for the (C) side.

4) So now you should have two halves of a futon cover, which you then put the (B) side, right side together and join.  it should now look a little like this, where the (C) panels are tucked underneath.

5) If you haven't already joined the zippers together, do so now. then fold them lenghtways in half. take panel (E) and fold that in half lengthways as well. You are aiming to put panel (E) about centre on the zippers. similar to below. Sew on red line.

6) Now, back on the inside of the futon, take piece (E) and lay it out as you see below. it should be roughly in the middle of all of the panels. sew along the blue line.

7) Turn the futon so that the right side of the fabric is now on the outside. Use a technique similar to step 3 to join panel (A) on each end.

If you simply match up the coloured lines, the last four seams should now be pretty self explanitory.

I hope this tutorial helps out and is easy to understand, if you have any input to help me make this better, please let me know via private message.

NOTE: This tutorial can be used whichever way you like it. As most of you are overseas, I see no harm in sharing the love, or making it a little easier to figure futons out.

just please, if you make one, take photos, cuz i'd love to see how I helped you.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2006 06:06:10 AM by lilithsatyne » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Please check out my website, full of extra piccies

http://silkorchid.livejournal.com

All order inquiries can be made there.

My Etsy - www.silkorchidcorse try.etsy.com
tiamatfire
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006 11:13:18 PM »

Oh please do post a tute!  I have beautiful Egyptian print upholstery fabric to redo our futon cover (it's badly stained up, and you can never properly clean a non-removable cover).  I'm not sure where to start.  I have a duvet-cover zipper, enough fabric...and no plans Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I do love knitting patterns!" - Albus Dumbledore

Harry Potter Craftalong: Spring Semester!
SinDoll
Adam West

Wednesday grew up

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2006 03:41:02 AM »

WOOHOO!

Well done Miss Cassie

VERY IMPRESSED with your tutorial skills  Grin

XOX
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rakechan
little Picture drawer person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2006 03:37:09 PM »

You are a genius! Smiley I needed a tutorial for this, as my futon once was cream and now is... er... old coloured! The tute looks trs easy to follow- nice one ^_^
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilithsatyne
Silk Orchid Corsetry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006 01:53:30 PM »

You are a genius! Smiley I needed a tutorial for this, as my futon once was cream and now is... er... old coloured! The tute looks trs easy to follow- nice one ^_^

i can't wait to see your futon  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

rakechan
little Picture drawer person

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006 05:07:09 PM »

Tehehe! Hopefully I'll get time... I've got about a million and one Christmas gifts to make for people before I do anything so selfish as think about making my bed a nice place to be... Tongue I'll post up piccos when I finally get around to it, though!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
seamonkeychik
LOOK OUT!

OoOo What I could do with this!

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2006 08:51:35 AM »

This is awesome. We bought a cheapo futon from Walmart for $100 as our couch which doubles as a bed for company. The matress was flimsy and the bars stuck us cause it was so thin. Voila craigslist another matress. So now I have 2 really thin flimsy matress that do not match. I wonder if I could make a super huge cover to fit over both of them...that way they stop sagging and floating off the couch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lilithsatyne
Silk Orchid Corsetry

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2006 10:22:07 PM »

This is awesome. We bought a cheapo futon from Walmart for $100 as our couch which doubles as a bed for company. The matress was flimsy and the bars stuck us cause it was so thin. Voila craigslist another matress. So now I have 2 really thin flimsy matress that do not match. I wonder if I could make a super huge cover to fit over both of them...that way they stop sagging and floating off the couch.

well, this pattern also lets you make six separate pillows, cept i haven't put info for those in, the pillows are easy as, and then you just get some old foam and stuff them, and then you can have the biggest, fluffiest pillows to stuff the cover with. viola, nice soft futon
THIS ROCKS   Logged

EmptyPolaroids
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2006 02:43:33 PM »

i really like the paw prints...and Ava! That made me laugh...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ShesAZombie
And the Zydrate gun goes somewhere against my anatomy...

DeathStar DriveBy

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2009 06:12:52 AM »

tres lovely!
and your kitties are cute Smiley
i have a kitty called socks too...
spelt different, but clearly named for the same reason haha.
way to re-vamp a cushion & great tutorial
xx
THIS ROCKS   Logged

when I saw the future,
the geeks were right.
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Run Like a Girl Book Trailer
A Is for Art Book Trailer
President Pennybaker Book Trailer
What if There Were No Moms Book Trailer
Meet Author Ralph Reed
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...