A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 299,134
Currently Running With Scissors:
708 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Just purchased SN'B~now what???  (Read 454 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MyGirlFriday
« on: October 20, 2006 06:07:04 PM »

I have been wanting to learn to knit~so I went and picked up this book at Michaels.
I will be looking thru it later on this evening~any ideas that will make learning easier??  I tried to learn many years ago and ended up tossing the book "Learn to knit in a day" in the give away pile.
Any hints would be great!!
mgf~ Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~~~Blessings & Smiles~~~
Nerfernie
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006 06:37:13 PM »

For me, I had to see knitting being done to really get it. Reading things didn't help me at first. Although now that I understand the basics, I can understand what the books are teaching.

http://www.knittinghelp.com/ has videos of the stitches being done which would probably help you out. And if you know anyone that knits, hit them up. I learned from the sweetest lady at my LYS.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bombgirl

i subscribe to the george lass work ethic

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006 06:48:28 PM »

i pretty much learned to knit with that book too and i just kinda skimmed through it (i still haven't read about all teh diff techniques)
what i spent time on was: casting on, knit stitch, purl stitch. you don't need to know the rest till way into the projects (at beginner level at least)
and they have beginnign projects to test out/help you learn teh new techniques - DO THEM it will make things easier (i refused and ended up with a bunch of items that were gigantic and not at all what tehy were supposed to be)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

FLICKR!! http://www.flickr.com/photos/cupcakesrevenge/<br /><br />inspiration and desires... www.wists.com/bombgirl<br /><br />craft blog! (if you\'re my swap partner, NO PEEKING!) <br />http://yourfaceiswhereblogsgotodie.blogspot.com/
canarysanctuary
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006 09:38:32 AM »

I'll concur with bombgirl and say do the learning pieces Smiley
My first knitting project turned into a giant and incredibly ugly "afghan" that now functions as a bird-cage cover.  He doesn't mind that it's hideous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I am because my little bird knows me."
http://canaryknits.blogspot.com/

"Gentlemen! We can't *all* be the Honey-Nut Cheerios honeybee!" -Crow
C76
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006 09:51:55 AM »

I'll concur with bombgirl and say do the learning pieces Smiley
My first knitting project turned into a giant and incredibly ugly "afghan" that now functions as a bird-cage cover.  He doesn't mind that it's hideous!

That's why I'm sticking with the beginning projects. For now.   Wink  Although I've skipped the first scarf.  I know I'll have to catch up on learning to switch colors later. But I've had more than my fair share of work in garter stitch.

I believe that patience now will pay off in the long run.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006 10:01:42 AM by C76 » THIS ROCKS   Logged
meriellyn
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2006 12:29:18 AM »

SnB is a pretty straight-forward well written book with clear instructions. Just work your way through the instructional part section by section with the worsted weight yarn of your choice and something like US8 needles. Read the chapter/section/instructions/whatever then go back through it and act it out. You'll be knitting in no time. Smiley
I taught myself to knit very quickly with that book. If you have stouble envisioning something, I second the knittinghelp.com reccomendation. Fabulous site and sooooo useful.
The illustrations are pretty clear though. I had a hard time figuring out what was going on in some other books' pictures but the SnB ones are clear enough that I was able to mimic them immediately.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Ashley Javier: Hair Tyrant Trailer
Beachy Hair Tutorial
Gamine Chignons at the Monique Lhuillier FW 2014 Show
Best Foods to Eat for Healthy Hair
Hair Tips: How To Cover Roots & Grays In Between Colorings
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry
Handmade Gift Ideas: Bunny Travel Pillow

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...