A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 296,616
Currently Running With Scissors:
636 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Food-Gift Ideas for Christmas  (Read 3101 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

LOLMegan

You all everybody!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2006 08:08:33 PM »

If you're making some sort of coffee/hot chocolate mixes with mugs, definately add some chocolate dipped spoons! (Which is a plastic spoon with the round cup part dipped in chocolate, yumm)

I also like making chocolate covered pretzels with christmasy sprinkles ^.^

Or you could make rice krispie treats and dip all or part of them in chocolate.

*Has huge cravings after reading and replying to this thread*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftsters fear the ordinary, not the impossible!
psyche
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Late Arrival (by Mister Reusch)

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2006 08:17:03 PM »

All right... well this one would be nice for adult-friends only, but infused your own vodka!

I really would like to make some for gifts this year, and put it in little fancy bottles... Here's the idea I would probably follow: http://www.infused-vodka.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=17

Or, if you want a REAL kick, how about make-your-own-absinthe? http://www.newspeakdictionary.com/pf-absinthe.html

(sorry if this is far from what you were looking for, but I was thinking nice Christmas baking, and alcohol for my gifting!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sapereaude
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2006 08:21:43 PM »

All right... well this one would be nice for adult-friends only, but infused your own vodka!

I really would like to make some for gifts this year, and put it in little fancy bottles... Here's the idea I would probably follow: http://www.infused-vodka.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWCATS&Category=17

Ooh, my mom drinks vodka with lime almost exclusively.  I love this idea - maybe I'll make her some lime infused vodka.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
peppersaskatoon
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2006 08:24:43 PM »

This is probably my favorite homemade chocolatey holiday treat...

http://www.kelloggs.ca/cgi-bin/klog-canada/recipe/recipe.pl?id=3597;skin=canada

My family calls it puppy chow.

Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
cinnamon teal
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2006 09:18:28 PM »

I don't know what I'll be doing this year, but in the past I have done:

cookie assortments (with my good ol' fashioned favorites; snickerdoodles, oatmeal raisin and chocolate chip)

pasta baskets with homemade canned sauce and a package of pasta

assorted sweets, when I was living with my fam we all chipped in and made stained glass cookies (http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=recipe&m=recipe/knet_recipe_display&recipe_id=53723), dried fruits half dipped in chocolate, chocolate covered pretzels, and chocolate truffles
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Avian Flight
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2006 10:08:38 PM »

If you're willing to go crazy you can go for gingerbread houses. Takes a looong time though so it may not be worth the effort. It was fun to build one with my cousins for a holiday party though. =)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Wists
eula.wordpress.com - updated frequently! (food and bento)
poppysmum

Mei has arrived! Pic ASAP...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2006 02:14:05 AM »

You could do a mini version by making gingerbread house shaped cookies & decorating those... gingerbread people are always cute! You could do a village... I could do a village...mmmmmmm.. . Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craft-matic
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2006 08:38:14 AM »

For anything dipped in chocolate, crushed candycanes make an excellent topping.  If you do hot cocoa mix, you can dip candycanes in chocolate for a garnish.  With leftover dipping chocolate, either white or milk or semisweet, you can stir in crushed candycane and spread it in a pan.

Make some ginger candy.  The easy way is to melt brachs caramels in a buttered saucepan, add a very generous amount of ground ginger and then pour into logs by wrapping tightly in buttered freezer paper, plastic side up.  Then cut into candies with scissors.  Or you can take two cups of white sugar and two tblsp butter and melt together in a buttered saucepan, add the ginger, and then pour into well-buttered piepans to harden.  When it's hard, break it into pieces.  Or, pour into little "puddles" on pre-greased freezer paper, then peel off when hard.  Stack these up and wrap in celophane.

Infused vodka is great, but remember that they take 6 to 8 weeks to make, so you should start *soon* if you're going to do it. 

I also really like coconut candy.  Just mix a can of sweetened condensed milk with a cup of powdered sugar and a cup of ground picans, then mix in about a bag of coconut flakes (get the kind that look moist) and dash in vanilla to taste.  Add enough coconut milk to bring it to a consistency where it can be shaped into logs and draped in melted chocolate.  They taste just like mounds bars.

I made faux sushi with the almond candy once, by rolling it into logs with melted chocolate, with guava paste taking the place of the fish.  I also made "nigiri" this way, again with guava and melted chocolate.  Just spray the outside of each coconut log with spray oil first, to keep the outside from drying out. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Work is love made visible.
                            --Kahlil Gibran

Human salvation lies in the hands of the creatively maladjusted.           
                            --Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.
shamelesslyahippie

i'm not a popsicle

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2006 06:25:14 PM »

1.(this year) i'm making apple butter (basicly you keep cooking apple sauce untill its a smooth, almost creamy texture) and baking mini cinnamon bread loaves.

Have you considered making flavoured actual butter - like honey butter or maple syrup butter - both very yummy, great with loaves/sweet bagels/muffins/waffles/pancakes.

i have used the idea, but i'm a vegan so i avoid actuall butter...
great idea too
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Comment allez-vous ce soir? Je suis comme ci comme a
 Yes, a penguin taught me French back in Antarctica
PrettyInTink
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2006 06:41:58 PM »

;DGREAT ideas!  Keep em coming! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
New Orleans Style Red Beans and Rice
New Orleans Style Stuffed Bell Peppers
Surf and Turf
How to Make Roasted Potatoes
How to Cook Fresh Green Beans
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...