A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,514
Currently Running With Scissors:
599 Guests and 26 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 71
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Let's make pincushions!  (Read 129991 times)
Tags for this thread: pin_cushion , pincushion  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

princessandthebead
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006 01:25:23 PM »

I liked it better cause I used the whole width of the thread so I was easier to thread.  Plus they are longer so it went through easier.  Fidget what all did you use?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a Sharpie addiction.  eemmm...In Fact, I am the President of the Sharpie relocation program. 
Newest addiction....PINCUSHIONS!!
I love personal swaps!

My wist:  http://www.wists.com/princessandthebead

I collect business cards and would LOVE to add yours to my collection!  Email me!
Fidget
You have my undivided atten...Look! A bunny!

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006 01:53:52 PM »

Just thought a halloween one would be cute to do  Grin

Ooo, yes!  I was thinking that earlier... It would make a perfect pumpkin!!  I've been following the other thread and you guys have pumped out some really great pincushions.  I'm hoping to try my hand at them while on a car trip this weekend.  10 hours in the car should yield a *few*!   Grin
Halloween sounds great!  I just stumbled across some Halloween buttons in my stash!!

Shimmer, in 10 hours, you'll need a trailer for all the pincushions!  Cheesy

Like da Princess said, a big needle is very useful for the wrapping part.  I've got some big BIG darning needles that I use for the wrapping.  Not only is the length great for going through all the stuffing, the eye is big enough to hold six strand of floss/thread.  When hand-sewing the disk, though, I use a size 10 quilting between, but only because all my other needles are blunt tapestry needles.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2006 01:55:34 PM by Fidget » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew.
My Wists
I practice random acts of kindness at random moments for random reasons.
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006 01:59:13 PM »

Like da Princess said, a big needle is very useful for the wrapping part.  I've got some big BIG darning needles that I use for the wrapping.  Not only is the length great for going through all the stuffing, the eye is big enough to hold six strand of floss/thread.  When hand-sewing the disk, though, I use a size 10 quilting between, but only because all my other needles are blunt tapestry needles.

OK...and in plain English what you just said was....Huh I don't know about all these needles *sniffles*. I litterally just bought some tapestry needles and handneedles... and I've got  some carpet sharps, glovers, chenilles, tapestry, tufting, curved (1 small, 1 larger). And this is rattled off from the packaging lol. So which would I use?Huh?? I'm so confused
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
princessandthebead
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006 01:59:40 PM »

Grin And if you have a flat Shimmer, you would be able to use one for your spare!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I have a Sharpie addiction.  eemmm...In Fact, I am the President of the Sharpie relocation program. 
I love personal swaps!

I collect business cards and would LOVE to add yours to my collection!  Email me!
Fidget
You have my undivided atten...Look! A bunny!

la-da-dee la-da-daa

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006 02:30:32 PM »

OK...and in plain English what you just said was....Huh I don't know about all these needles *sniffles*. I litterally just bought some tapestry needles and handneedles... and I've got  some carpet sharps, glovers, chenilles, tapestry, tufting, curved (1 small, 1 larger). And this is rattled off from the packaging lol. So which would I use?Huh?? I'm so confused
I'm not even sure what some of those are for! Shocked  Glovers sound like used for sewing gloves, Chenilles are used for crewel embroidery (which is done with yarn), tufting... dunno, the curved ones are good for sewing dolls (these are also called mattress needles) anything where you need to make a seam but don't have much room for maneuvering it.  Don't fret over the names. Wink

For the pincushion, use whichever needle is the long enough to pierce your stuffed pincushion and allow you to grab it on the other side.  Be sure the eye of the needle is large enough for you to easily thread the floss you are using for wrapping. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I feed my soul with the stitches I sew.
My Wists
I practice random acts of kindness at random moments for random reasons.
princessandthebead
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006 02:32:51 PM »

Yea!  What Fidget said!  I bought my long needles in a package of other needs at Wal Mart.  So, next time you are there, just go and look around.  You will know when you see a long needle (like 2 inches maybe) with a large eye.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!

naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006 04:46:16 PM »

Yea!  What Fidget said!  I bought my long needles in a package of other needs at Wal Mart.  So, next time you are there, just go and look around.  You will know when you see a long needle (like 2 inches maybe) with a large eye.
That would be exactly what I did, hence all the needles that I don't know what to use for Wink Gosh, this does get confusing! lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
princessandthebead
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006 04:53:43 PM »

Then just pick a needle and start!  If you like using that needle...call it Bob and then you will always know what Bob is used for!   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I love personal swaps!

naelany

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006 05:06:00 PM »

Then just pick a needle and start!  If you like using that needle...call it Bob and then you will always know what Bob is used for!   Grin
*laughs* I wonder what kind of look I'd get from my hubby if I did that Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006 05:54:06 PM »

This sounds like fun!  As usual, I can't wait to see all the wonderful pincushions Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 71 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Ways to Wear the Ruffle Trend Without Looking Too Young
Cheap Ways to Rock Coral For Spring
2013 MTV Movie Awards Style Prediction: Mila Kunis
#MyModamobStyle Featured Reader @ChanelleDotCom
The Best Denim Care Tips to Preserve Your Jeans
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...