A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 297,712
Currently Running With Scissors:
426 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Some more ornament covers/toppers - now with *IMAGE HEAVY* tutorial  (Read 3605 times)
Tags for this thread: ornament_topper , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Onyxnox
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Crafting keeps the madness at bay. Or is it the cause?

Willing to personal swap for art of my doggies!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: October 20, 2006 10:35:05 AM »

These are more ornament toppers than covers as they only sit at the top, around the hanger bit:

Go further down in the messages for the tutorial please!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2006 03:26:47 PM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
fluttercrafts
cheezburger plz k thx bai

whodahey!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006 05:31:49 PM »

A tutorial for those would be great!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

craft_ee_me
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2006 04:33:45 AM »

Awesome! And yes, a tute would be wonderful, please.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My craft supply philosophy I stole from a line from AVP. ''I'd rather have it and not need it, than to need it and not have it.'' But, they were talking about a condom. Tongue
sapereaude
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2006 08:15:31 AM »

I love it.  I third the tutorial request.   How many layers are there? Three?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Onyxnox

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2006 09:08:18 AM »

Bear with me, this is the first time I did a detailed tutorial.

String a couple of yards of your preferred beading thread through a beading needle - I used Nymo conditioned with Thread Heaven.  Essentially you make a collar of beads around the hanger of the ornament ball.  I did it as 2 size 11 seed beads, and a size 8, and did repeats of this until I had enough to encircle the hanger.  It should fit comfortably, not too tight.  If you have to force the ring, you may fray and weaken the thread which can cause it to break later, or just snap it right off the bat.  The number of repeats you make will differ depending on the size of the hanger of different styles of balls - don't assume that there is one standard hanger size for all Christmas ornaments.

Then secure your circle of beads with your preferred knot - but not too tightly, and don't feed the thread through too often because each of the successive layers of beads are secured to this base collar - understand?

Then you start working the rows - for the first row, bring your needle and thread to the other side of the size 8,

pick up a number of size 11 seed beads (pick whatever you are happy with, say 12), a size 8 bead, a crystal, another size 8, and another size 11. 

Skip the size 11, and feed the needle back through the size 8, crystal, and size 8 beads, (the last size 11 will now hold these in place),

then pick up 12 more size 11, and guide the needle up through to the next size 8 on the collar. 

This makes your first dangle from the collar. 

Then feed back through the last row of size 11s, but not the entire row, just a portion of it.

Then pick up the same number of 11s to make the next dangle even with the last, pick up the size 8, the crystal, size 8, size 11.  Skip the size 11 again, and feed back through the 8, crystal, 8, pick up 12 size 11 beads.

Repeat this until you encircle the collar with this pattern of intertwined dangles.

Secure this row with your preferred knot, and thread the needle through a size 11 on the collar - to make the next row so that it is just off from the first row of dangles, as opposed to sitting directly above it.  Or you can feed through to the next 8 - so long as you are consistent in the pattern.

Essentially repeat what you did for the first row, but with a differing number of size 11s, and instead of the crystal as the focal, I kept it just the size 8 beads.

Do the same for the following row, decreasing the number of size 11s used.  I either change to a different colour of beads here or in the last row.

For the last row, pick up a short row of size 11, the 8, and 11.  Skip the 11, feed back through the 8 and 11, pick up size 11s (minus one now), and feed through the the main ring - these dangles will be separate from each other, so you do not feed the thread back through the last row of 11s.

and here is the finished product:

Obviously you can play with the colours, the accents, what kind of crystals you want, how long you want the rows to each be.

However, especially depending on the size of the holes in the beads in the collar, and the size of thread and needle you do, you will be limited in the overall number of rows you do.  I think I managed 4 rows on these babies before I was running the risk of snapping the needle pushing it through the collar.

Also, too many rows and the top starts pushing up too much and it doesn't sit nicely on the top of the ornament.

Remember, it is a topper - there is nothing to secure it to the top of the ball yet - so you may want to use a dab or so of a good glue that dries transparent to the base ring to hold it to the hanger or ball.
Tell me if this needs clarification.

« Last Edit: October 21, 2006 03:23:56 PM by Onyxnox » THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my blog~ - DON'T READ IF YOU ARE IN A SWAP WITH ME AND DON'T WANT A SPOILER!!!!  YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!
~my pinterest~
chattyKathi
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2006 07:33:13 AM »

omg my head is spinning!! this is why I don't crochet by patterns, I just don't get it! I have to make it up as I go along!! Its very beautiful and I am totally jealous of you! Thanks for sharing! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

love laugh create!
Onyxnox

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2006 07:32:26 AM »

So long as you get the idea of making the circle around the ornament hanger, and know how to do netting in the round, you should be fine.  I wish I had the patience or a simple program to do graphics with individual beads,  that would make it easier I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~my pinterest~
alvan
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2006 11:55:07 PM »

So very nice! When I have the time I will make some of those. Thanks for the tutorial!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SharLaMarz
Crafting is my therapy

I have craft ADD

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009 10:51:37 AM »

This is beautiful! I love that you can coordinate the colors of the beads to match ornaments you already have. What a great way to give old ornaments a new life! Thanks for sharing
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 projects in 2010: 100/50

My wist: http://www.wists.com/SharLaMarz

Contact me for a personal swap!
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 6/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 3/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 12/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 13/13
How to Crochet Baby Sneakers Part 2/13
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...