A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,587
Currently Running With Scissors:
558 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: first reverse applique and free form machine embroidery! first Tute added!  (Read 6429 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mserocks
« on: October 19, 2006 08:41:31 PM »

So I was watching the "Uncommon Threads" show on HGTV I DVR'd and saw a project on embellishing shirts w/ free form machine embroidery and quilting and reverse applique.

It was one of those "OMG that's so cool and I can SO do that" moments.

Grabbed this shirt I had laying around, which is comfy and fits well, but was boring.

and I did this! It's not perfect, It's kinda bunched up in places. But that adds "texture" and "interest" or at least that's how I'm justifying it. I like it enough that I'll wear it anyway. Tongue

And me modelling it.

« Last Edit: October 22, 2006 08:30:35 PM by mserocks » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." Gandhi.

Ok, me too! www.wists.com/mserocks
sarah73
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006 10:07:49 PM »

that looks really good.. was it hard to do?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006 11:08:42 PM »

OOooOOOOH now I DO like that  Smiley
care to share a how to?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
mserocks
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006 03:26:25 AM »

Nope, it was really, really easy. Took me maybe 45 minutes (almost half of which was figuring out how to put the darning foot on my machine). I'll put together a tutorial by the end of the weekend.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nkay
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006 05:56:41 AM »

That is really cute.  I have, what seems about 5 million, plain, colored t-shirts that are just waiting for something like this.  Not to mention the ones that I can't get stains out of that this would be perfect to cover the stains and make them wearable again.  Awesome!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006 02:15:44 PM »

Great job! I love that! Everything about it looks completely intentional! Wink That makes me love it more! Can't wait for the tute! You rock ! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
mserocks
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2006 08:30:08 PM »

Okie dokie, my first tute. Be gentle Smiley

1. Find shirt and material you like. Shirt had the most unfortunate chocolate ice cream stain. Material is cotton from gramma's stash that I raided.

2. Turn the shirt inside out. Attach material to shirt - front side of material to the back side of the shirt. Remember you want front side of material to be the new front side of your shirt when you cut out your design. You can pin at the edges or you can cheat like me and use quilter's basting spray.

3. Since the pattern of my material was too small to follow the natural contours and make a design (like I did in the first shirt), I decided paisley likes dragonflies and vice versa. So I sketched some dragonflies in washable marker.

4. Now you need to get the darning foot on to your beast. It looks like this. Darning foot is good because you can move forward, backward, sideways, etc. I guess you could do this with a regular foot if you were really really really patient and slow about all the turns, but it's alot easier to use the darning foot. And remember to drop your feed dogs!

5. Sew! Since you're sewing the contrast material, it's the bobbin thread that shows on the outside of your shirt. I like 3 colors usually. 2 coordinating and one contrast. I didn't bother changing the top thread but I really should have since you can see it poking through a little bit. Sew all around your image as many times as you like (1 for contrast, 2 or 3 for coordinating.)

Here's what the wrong side looks like when you're done.

And the right side.

6. Now you're ready to cut. Turn your shirt right side out and get scissors. Sharp little ones work better than big ones, but I can't find the little guys. Trim away the tshirt on the inside of the stitching. Be VERY careful not to cut the contrast material underneath. It's REALLY easy to do, especially if you cheat and basted it with spray like me. If you did, it's easy to peel it apart, just make sure you do that!

7. Trim all the threads and ta da! Make sure you trim that extra fabric on the back too!

8. Take requisite, "I'm tired - hurry up with the dang picture, so I can go to bed" picture.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

dont-panic

honk if you love justice

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2006 08:52:48 PM »

Awesome! Excellent tute, I will be trying this Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Time is an illusion, lunchtime doubly so.

-Douglas Adams
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2006 06:56:06 AM »

mserocks .... THANK YOU for a clear step by step tute  Smiley and pictures too, you SPOIL us  Grin
Now all I gotta do is find the damned darning foot and work out how to drop the feed dogs  Huh
and i lurve the dragonflies in paisley  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
diannab
founder member of the ZaftigMomma appreciation Society : )

Away..... stalking..... will return shortly......

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2006 07:36:12 AM »

Grin   YOU ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!Awesome tute---yes I am off looking for my darning foot!!!!!!! Grin heheeh when you say drop the feed dogs-- do you mean disable them so it is your job to move the fabric yourself... I have a plate made especially for my machine that goes over my feed dogs for machine embroidery and such........ Cheesy I am hoping that is what I would use........ Cheesy Thanks again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I may be out of touch for a few days.my cable company merges we are experiencing lots growing pains!!! Email: diannabishop@yahoo.com
Would you like a Child/baby clothing & gift board?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
The Art of Flower Pressing
The Art of Quilting
The Art of Pen Turning
A Lesson in Paper Cutting
How to Make Paper Cutting Art
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...