Okie dokie, my first tute. Be gentle
1. Find shirt and material you like. Shirt had the most unfortunate chocolate ice cream stain. Material is cotton from gramma's stash that I raided.
2. Turn the shirt inside out. Attach material to shirt - front side of material to the back side of the shirt. Remember you want front side of material to be the new front side of your shirt when you cut out your design. You can pin at the edges or you can cheat like me and use quilter's basting spray.
3. Since the pattern of my material was too small to follow the natural contours and make a design (like I did in the first shirt), I decided paisley likes dragonflies and vice versa. So I sketched some dragonflies in washable marker.
4. Now you need to get the darning foot on to your beast. It looks like this. Darning foot is good because you can move forward, backward, sideways, etc. I guess you could do this with a regular foot if you were really really really patient and slow about all the turns, but it's alot easier to use the darning foot. And remember to drop your feed dogs!
5. Sew! Since you're sewing the contrast material, it's the bobbin thread that shows on the outside of your shirt. I like 3 colors usually. 2 coordinating and one contrast. I didn't bother changing the top thread but I really should have since you can see it poking through a little bit. Sew all around your image as many times as you like (1 for contrast, 2 or 3 for coordinating.)
Here's what the wrong side looks like when you're done.
And the right side.
6. Now you're ready to cut. Turn your shirt right side out and get scissors. Sharp little ones work better than big ones, but I can't find the little guys. Trim away the tshirt on the inside of the stitching. Be VERY careful not to cut the contrast material underneath. It's REALLY easy to do, especially if you cheat and basted it with spray like me. If you did, it's easy to peel it apart, just make sure you do that!
7. Trim all the threads and ta da! Make sure you trim that extra fabric on the back too!
8. Take requisite, "I'm tired - hurry up with the dang picture, so I can go to bed" picture.