A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,546
Currently Running With Scissors:
504 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Do you/would you leave a negetive comment about a craft?  (Read 4066 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

cranteach

I only wish I were as cool as my kid.

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2006 06:42:56 PM »

I teach writing, and I teach my young writers a rule that, I think, could help in these kind of situations. 

I tell my kids that "the writer controls the feedback".  If I say, "Hey, I just tried to write a poem (or make a hat, or paint glass) for the first time, yay for me!", then it seems that I'm asking for just "yays".  And if I say, "Hey, tell me anything," then I'm opening myself up for the world of input.  A person could ask, then, for whatever kind of feedback they want.  Then, if you know your seams are wonky because you were tired and your machine was being a bugger, but you really want to know what people think of your color choices, just ask about colors.

So, those on this thread who want constructive criticism can ask for it, and the sensitive newbie doesn't have to fear the craftster.  One person's "crap" could be somebody else's proud first try.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jezebel_1982
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #21 on: October 19, 2006 06:55:00 PM »

I have to agree with the majority of posts here.
The type of feedback is often indicated by the manner in which the post was made. A proud first-timer is not looking for someone to say "you know, that's great that you like to/are learning to _______ (insert crafty thing here), but you REALLY need practice before you bother wasting our time on this board." Rather, they will want positive feedback allowing them to revel in teh glory of their first hand-made creation, and savor the flavour of success.
However, if someone blatantly asks for feedback,a dn does not specify (and it obviously not a first attempt) I don't think that somehting along the lines of "I really love the concept (or colour, or fit, or whatever). Here's a little helpful tidbit for you in your future endeavours."
Personally, I know I'm not the greatest at any of the crafts that I ahve tried my hand at, but I would love to see people letting me know what I did incorrectly, and how to improve it. On the other hand, I can't be one to criticize, as I am not the greatest yet...
When we all work together to improve everyone's skills, we can all glory in the beauty that is created in this community.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Twitchyfingers
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2006 07:20:40 PM »

I tell my kids that "the writer controls the feedback".  If I say, "Hey, I just tried to write a poem (or make a hat, or paint glass) for the first time, yay for me!", then it seems that I'm asking for just "yays".  And if I say, "Hey, tell me anything," then I'm opening myself up for the world of input.  A person could ask, then, for whatever kind of feedback they want. 

I agree. Generally if I want specific feedback (good, bad or otherwise) I'd say 'does it look better with or without the black' or 'I'm not 100% happy with [this particular bit]'. Then people know what you'd like feedback on.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I try to take life one day at a time, but sometimes several days attack me at once..."

http://twitchyfingers.blogspot.com
http://www.wists.com/nomes707
Joler79
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2006 07:25:09 PM »

Have to agree with most here, Im not a confident poster of my work in fact I rarley do, but my first time making a bag, I posted it - it was so lame, but I was so proud it was like my first child,  and some lovelly people posted, but one lovelly person told me about top stitching ( which I then had no idea about) but did it such a way that I was excited to hear about it and try it.  IT was constructive and it helped.

So if you can say anything nice then dont - It breaks a persons heart - they too can see the crocked stitching  for example, but if you have a hint let them know - nicely
Nice posts - even if it isnt the best work - can build a persons confidence and make them better crafters.

Also with such a range of people, ages, and levels of skill it can really cut a person down.
I suffer from depression and know that if in the midst of an attack - I had the energy to make and post and some one said well its all wonky and the colours dont flow etc I would of broken.
sorry for the story
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sarah! Aussie crafting mumma!
I <3 personal swaps ( and I promise add Tim Tams!)
poo head

I didn't really drop my baby! No hate mail!!

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2006 07:28:51 PM »

surprisedised i haven't heard what i'm about to say already. i go by the 2:1 rule. for every "negative" (constructive) comment i'm sure to include at least 2 things that i think were done well. the fact is that even if it's a total piece of poo Grin the person was brave enough to try and that is worth something.

"wow those color choices were great! the seam seems to be a little off, but i do like the length." hypothetical skirt critique.

if you can't think of even 2 things you like about it (even if you just like the fact that they tried), i don't think it is necessary for you to post anything.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Looking to do a personal swap for any boyish nursery print flannels! I can send polymer clay charms, purses, paper crafts, microscope slide pendant kit, and a lot more.

~My Inspiration~
~Benjamin Reed~
~11.8.07~

wist me away
♥personal swaps♥
Juniper
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2006 07:37:31 PM »

One time a project really freaked me out, and I posted something like "oh, that's kinda wierd...." and everybody jumped on my back about it.  I'm a frank person, but at the same time I really try not to comment directly on the person's sewing/knitting/crafting skillz.  BUT if a project is really off, you know, and everybody else knows, and so I've learned to just show my roomy it and we laugh about it in private but I don't post my reaction to it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Mela
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2006 10:31:18 PM »

I think this is really a tough question... On the one hand, I think about any time I've posted my handiwork, it is because it is something I am really proud of.  If I get many comments, I feel like I did a good job.  If I get few comments, I think I need to work on the design. In reading over the previous responses, a lot have said they are willing to hear constructive criticism.  I have to admit, I'm not so willing to just sign over that blank check without some caveats.  I think someone wanting feedback can ask specific questions, as mentioned here earlier.  As you learn to craft, and as you see other people's posts (and their responses) you learn what is great and what isn't.  Then you learn which questions to ask...how do I do xyz better... I'm not so sure about the color combo, what do you think...etc...  But when you first start, you're probably just so excited that you made something you aren't concerned with the topstitching or the fabric choice.  That will come later.  My idea on this:  If I am not "moved" by something I won't respond.  If I am, or if there is a question posed that I can answer, I will post a reply.  But I will not offer advice or feedback unless it is requested.  If it is, then I'll go for it.  But if it isn't, I will just move on to the next post.

I just want to note also, however, that there are times when I see someone has posted something and it isn't all that great and its been up for a while but not one person has responded. I feel like I would be heartbroken if I were a newbie and this was the response to my first post. (and yet I still don't respond).  It's such a supportive environment here, I would hate to lose that.  People who want to improve will ask the questions they need to ask.  People who are just so excited to finally be posting something will make that clear as well. 

In summary, if they ask for it and I have something to offer, I will impart whatever "wisdom" I have to offer....   If they don't ask for it and I don't like the project, I just don't respond.  If they don't ask, but I do like it, I try to provide specific information about what I do like.

Aye, apologies for the long-windeness of it.  Just felt this was a great question that I've often thought about!  Great topic to discuss!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SewPixie
FOC Bandit #12

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2006 11:07:13 PM »

Much like poo head mentioned, I too do try to mention positive things as well if I feel the need to bring up something 'less than positive'.

I am sure there are more examples, but the only thing that comes it mind is someone that posted some wallets she wanted to sell. I did praise her color choices (because I really did like them - no reason to lie to them) but did suggest since she did ask for suggestions) that pressing the items would help neaten the appearance.

Mostly, for things that in my personal opinon don't appear to be well done or uses a technique that I don't personally like as a personal preference I don't say anything. For things I at least like a little, if I do leave a comment I usually do mention something I like and often times have a question for the maker.

There are a ton of ways I could improve my own crafts so it is very helpful when people are kind enough to point out some tips. Luckily I have yet to encounter anyone posting about my things in a rude way. Not to say I haven't seen that happen to others.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006 11:11:08 PM by SewPixie » THIS ROCKS   Logged

.:See profile for blog & Flickr info!:.
cinnamon teal
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2006 11:12:58 PM »

I have participated in a lot of critiques and when I post things on craftster I generally ask for "constructive criticism".  I rely heavily on peer review to improve on the things I make.  This community is incredibly talented and I like to know what you all think about my projects, whether it be a "great job" or a suggestion for improvement.  

In my opinion, the most helpful comments are those that offer a solution.  For example, I posted this question here in knitting: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=127884.0 And some people gave very helpful tips, like extending the top, adding a thumb part and one very helpful person even gave me directions for a decorative cast on/ cast off!  These were all fabulous and very appreciated without being outright negative.  You could easily make a comment like this for a project that you don't care for without a giving an empty compliment or sounding negative.

The comments that I find less helpful are more along the lines of "I don't like x" because they are usually about personal taste and I get conflicting responses; (ie.  it seems like for everyone that doesn't like the color there is another person who does).  The least helpful to me are those that only offer criticism.  I know that many of you have said that you want to be told if one of your projects was terrible, but if someone only left a negative comment, I admit that to me, it would be like some saying f*** you.

In response to your question, I really think that criticism should be reserved to those who directly ask for it.  
« Last Edit: October 19, 2006 11:16:48 PM by cinnamon teal » THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScatteredZen
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006 02:05:18 AM »

Personally, I don't mind feedback even if I didn't ask for it. I like positive feedback, and I like constructive criticism.

There are things that I am learning to do, and while they may not be uber-special-awesome like much of what is posted here, I will still post them because I like to get people's take on it - that'w how I learn.

I realize that most of what I will get is "That's great!!" no matter how awesome (or crappy) my finish project is, and that's fine. But if I even get one person to say "Hey, try using a smaller needle for so and so" or "You can even that out more easily using this kind of sandpaper" that's awesome.

I guess what I'm trying to say is - this is a huge community of crafters of all levels. Who better to provide this kind of feedback than other members?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...