A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,663
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Easy Pumpkin Hat for Halloween, Autumn, Harvest (really looks like a pumpkin!)  (Read 5934 times)
Tags for this thread: pattern  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« on: October 19, 2006 08:20:32 AM »

I kept searching for a pumpkin hat that didn't look like an orange beanie with a stem on top, but never could seem to find one (in crochet, at least). I found one that had ribs, but they stuck out; pumpkins, obviously, have little indentations, not raised ribs, on them. So I designed my own. Here it is:

What do you think? (Please pardon my son's need for a haircut. Guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend.  Roll Eyes )

ETA: PATTERN BELOW, in Reply #8 Smiley
« Last Edit: October 02, 2010 04:35:36 PM by homebunnyj - Reason: clarification of title » THIS ROCKS   Logged

MoxZ

Getting my stitch on!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006 10:42:34 AM »

Awww~ What a little pumpkinhead!  I love the whole design...the stem even!  LOL last year I made my manthing a hat from the same orange for hunting season.  I wonder if he'd wear a pumpkin?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

See my blog for my current ATC's up for swap~
http://crookedhook.blogspot.com/

http://www.wists.com/MoxZ -
fizzle7033
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006 10:49:55 AM »

Are you going to sell the pattern or post it somewhere? That is so cute!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I do personal swaps!

Current swaps

Letter and a Craft
Dragon Swap
Owl Swap
Little Visitor VI
Little Visitor VII
jchinique
Yes, I am.

I did that.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006 11:21:41 AM »

Toot-Oriole, pleeze!
 Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ladylinoleum
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006 11:56:13 AM »

That is adorable!  What a nice fit too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

koi

crochet is my thing!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006 02:09:38 PM »

Supercute!
Would u share the pattern?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ConcreteJungler
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006 03:59:48 PM »

That is adorable!  And don't worry, your son's overgrown hair just makes him look like a Pumpkin Elf!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Amphigorey
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2006 04:32:46 PM »

That is so cute, good idea too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
homebunnyj
Maker of interesting things

Asheville rocks!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2006 06:07:44 PM »

Smiley Aww shucks... thanks, everyone  Smiley

Here ya go:

Crocheted Pumpkin Hat

Materials:
2 – 3 oz orange worsted wt yarn
Small amt green worsted wt yarn
H crochet hook
F crochet hook
Yarn needle for weaving in ends
Stitch marker (I use a single kidney-wire earring. A piece of yarn in a contrasting color works just fine.)

Gauge: In dc: 13 sts = 4”; 9 rows = 4”
Size: Fits a 21” head. May adjust size by using a smaller hook, and/or different gauge yarn. May also work fewer increase rnds, or more as needed. Do a gauge swatch in dc; multiply sts per inch by number of inches needed and round to the nearest number divisible by seven, remembering that the ribbing will draw the circumference of the hat inward just a little.

*****NOTE ON BPCD (BACK Post Double Crochet): If you use bpdc, as the pattern calls for, you'll get the little indentations all around that make it look like a pumpkin. To do back post dc, you reach to the BACK of the crocheting to insert your yarn around the dc below. If you're getting ridges on the front side of your crocheting instead of indentations, check to make sure you aren't doing a FRONT post dc. Nexstitch has a wonderful video here http://www.nexstitch.com/v_front_back_post_stitch.html demonstrating the difference between the two techniques.*******
(Begin with H hook.  Instructions will note when to switch to F hook.)
Stem:
Row 1: With green yarn: leaving a 3” yarn tail, ch 12; sc in 2nd ch from hook and every chain to end (11 sc). Ch 1, turn.
Row 2: Sc into back loops only of ea sc (11 sc). Ch 1, turn.
Row 3: Sc into front loops only of ea sc (11 sc). Ch 1, turn.
Row 4: Join stem into a tube by sl st into back loop of first sc as well as bottom of first foundation ch , *sl into back loop of next sc as well as bottom of next foundation ch* across to end. Ch 1.
The stem should be a tube, with a yarn tail at one end and the working yarn at the other end.
Turning and working around the end of the tube, sc 7 spaced as evenly as possible around the tube. (Don’t sweat it, just try to fit 7 sc around the end of the tube without overlapping the last one over the first one.) Put a stitch marker in the first stitch, since we will now be working in a spiral. Every time you get to the stitch marker you will move it up one round.
Rnd 1: 2 sc in each sc around. (14 sts)
Rnd 2: work Even. (14 sts)
Rnd 3: 2 sc in each sc around. (28 sts) Sl st to first sc in rnd, finish off.
Pumpkin:
Rnd 4: With orange, join with sl st to any sc of previous rnd. Ch 2 (counts as first hdc), hdc in next sc and in each remaining sc around (28hdc). Sl st to top of  ch 2.
Rnd 5: Ch 2 (counts as first bpdc), 2 dc in next hdc, dc in next hdc, 2 dc in next hdc. * bpdc around next hdc, 2 dc in next hdc, dc in next hdc, 2 dc in next hdc, * 6 times, around to stitch marker. (42 sts) You should have a total of 7 bpdc (including initial ch 2) in this rnd. DO NOT JOIN, we are now working spirally again. Remember to use stitch marker to mark beginning of this rnd and each rnd afterwards.
Rnd 6: Bpdc around the ch 2, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in next dc. *Bpdc around bpdc, dc in next 4 dc, 2 dc in next dc* 6 times around. (49 sts)
Rnd 7: *Bpdc around bpdc, dc in next 5 dc, 2 dc in next dc * 7 times around. (56 sts)
Rnd 8: *Bpdc around bpdc, dc in next 6 dc, 2 dc in next dc * 7 times around. (63 sts)
Rnd 9: *Bpdc around bpdc, dc in next 7 dc, 2 dc in next dc * 7 times around. (70 sts)
Rnds 10 – 14: Work even, bpdc-ing around each bpdc and dc-ing in each dc. (70 sts)
At end of rnd 14, sl st into first st of the rnd. Ch 5 and switch to F hook.
Ribbing:
The rows of ribbing will be attached to the hat as it is worked, and will be worked at right angles to the rounds of the hat.
Row 1: Sc in back loop only of 2nd ch from hook. Sc in back loop only of each of next 2 ch’s. Insert hook into back loop only of next ch; yarn over and pull up a loop; insert hook into back loop only of st at base of ch-5 (This st is one of the last rnd of the hat body.); yarn over and pull loop through all three loops on hook. (This st connects the row of ribbing to the body of the hat.) Insert hook into back loop only of next dc of the hat. Yarn over and pull loop through both loops on hook. ( This is a connecting sl st and joins the next row of ribbing to the hat.) Turn.
Row 2: Sc into back loop only of ea sc across. (4sc) Ch 1, turn.
Row 3: Sc into back loop only of first 3 sc. Insert hook into last sc and draw up a loop; insert hook into back loop only of next dc of last rnd of hat; draw loop through all three loops on hook (connecting sc made). Insert hook into back loop only of next dc of the hat; yarn over and pull loop through both loops on hook (connecting sl st made). Turn.
Repeat Rows 2 and 3 all the way around the hat. When all the stitches of the hat body’s final rnd of dc are ribbed, sl st the last and first rows of ribbing together through the back loop only. (4 sl sts) Break yarn and weave in ends.
Optional: Tack the stem into a spiral or loop, or any way you wish.

Let me know if you find any errors with it.
Also, you can make it kinda beret-like-- which looks very pumpkiney-- by adding a couple of decrease rounds before the ribbing. And of course you can adjust the size by use of different size hooks or yarn, or by adding more increase rounds in the top as necessary. This is the first pattern I've ever written up to share, even though I've been crocheting since I was eight. Hopefully it won't be the last.  Smiley
Have fun with it!
« Last Edit: October 03, 2010 09:48:11 AM by homebunnyj » THIS ROCKS   Logged

danfreek22
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2006 07:42:53 PM »

adorable
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Kimchi Pancakes and Butterscotch Apples
How to Make Vietnamese-Inspired Kim Family Wraps
How to Make Spicy Korean Pan-Fried Pork and Oreo Smores
Asian Hot Sauce Recipe
How to Make Vietnamese Pork Chops
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...